IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My PPE header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 09:44 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FD3SISF
Borla does sound loud. I say its the same as the Joe Z except deeper sound and very little to no drone. It does not have that annoying drone.
Once I let my wife drive it. She took it a mile away (a real mile away) and when I was out of sight, she took it on to a bigger road and floored it. I literally heard a nascar-like sound from a MILE away. It was my wife flooring it. LOL

So, for those of you that think Borla might be too quiet. I don't agree. You guys must be deaf from all the subwoofers or something.

Another benefit... it's lighter. Every few pounds do count for something. A few pounds here and there and before you know it, it's over 100 pounds lighter than stock. I like my Borla and wouldn't change it.
Old 03-24-13, 08:48 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't weld back on my stock mufflers. I have 2 sets of stock exhaust. One with deleted cats and mufflers and one completely stock. So...I can take off and put on pretty easily. My buddy's on his way over and we're taking the mufflers back off and going to video with a go pro. I might give a few days to settle. Of course it's snowing out today. My luck.
Old 03-24-13, 10:50 AM
VegasISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the black ceramic coating suggested when buying these...does it make a big underhood temp difference?
Old 03-24-13, 11:52 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I've got the silver stuff and live in Arizona, where it gets HOT in the summer. I've taken trips in the summer to Las Vegas, Santa Barbara, San Diego and etc, and have never had a heat issue.

Lou
Old 03-25-13, 08:30 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

So, we took the mufflers back off to capture some video. It's still really loud and I don't think it's going to settle down much. I figured I'd give it a week and see how it does, but it's almost embarrassing at this point. That M3 has Borla exhaust on it and it pretty load, but sounds like a Prius compared to my car. I'm guessing I'm the first one with headers combined with the deleted 2nd cats and mufflers and I don't believe I'd recommend it. I know it sounds pretty cool in the videos though.

Old 03-25-13, 09:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Yup, I totally agree, some luv that sound, some (like me), can't tolerate it. Hence different solutions for different folks. I have a friend here in town with an ISF like mine, but with PPE headers, no cats and a JoeZ exhaust. The drone and noise is, IMHO, WAY over the top. He loves it. I think you all know my solution, posted here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-exhaust.html

After all this time, it STILL works for me

Lou
Old 03-25-13, 09:20 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I'm wondering HOW much quieter the Joe Z exhaust would make it? Like I said earlier, just throwing the stock mufflers back on pretty much made the car sound stock (which to me was NOT enough sound). If I could get the sound back to the same as deleted cats and mufflers, it would be livable. Those videos are soo hard to judge. Just like my videos "sound" cool, it's not cool. It's NASCAR in the cabin. The deleted cats and mufflers was 10 times tamer. I guess the best question is for the guys with Joe Z and/or Borla with headers....can you still hear the 2nd intake open up?
Old 03-25-13, 09:29 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

LOVE LOVE my JOE Z PPE header combo.

Your right though, that is (the videos above) WAY to loud!
Old 03-25-13, 09:29 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
LOVE LOVE my JOE Z PPE header combo.

Your right though, that is (the videos above) WAY to loud!
Sean, can you still hear the 2nd intake open up with your setup?
Old 03-25-13, 09:38 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy crap that is beyond loud. IMO I think the muffler/secondary cat delete sounds better than headers + that. You could add primary or secondary cats back in, or go with a full exhaust like everyone else. A full exhaust would be tamer because it comes with performance mufflers. The stock mufflers are meant to significantly decrease sound I guess.
Old 03-25-13, 09:43 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Holy crap that is beyond loud. IMO I think the muffler/secondary cat delete sounds better than headers + that.
Dead on! Not even close. It's obnoxios. I got so many complements with just the deletes....now it scares people. I think there's a GREAT chance of getting a ticket for noise pollution and that's just driving it in a very tame manner.

Notice how I'm just shaking my head upon startup in the first vid? Insane.
Old 03-25-13, 10:09 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I don't want to mislead you, I'm not sure.

The entire exhaust note/engine sound gets loud around 3800 when it does. Definitely not an intake noise though.
Old 03-25-13, 10:14 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
I don't want to mislead you, I'm not sure.

The entire exhaust note/engine sound gets loud around 3800 when it does. Definitely not an intake noise though.
Sounds like the deleted cats and mufflers. If I REALLY concentrated, I could barely hear the intake open up. I'd be curious to hear more feedback on this including the Borla guys.
Old 03-25-13, 10:36 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you were on the East coast, I'd suggest you attend our enormous ISF meet... F's with every possible mod and exhaust + header combo will be there....
Old 03-25-13, 10:46 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

wow, sounds crazy (good) in the vids but living w/ that day to day would be too much. your car reminds me of a hennessy cts-v video i saw on youtube.

Quick Reply: My PPE header install