IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus IS F Wearever Brake pad issue / Just a Opinion

Old 03-22-13, 04:43 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
I have the pads, but am waiting for my current pads to wear out.....there is way too many variables to pin this as an expectation with every set.

I appreciate the OP's feedback on the issue.

Digger08
Same here, I have Wearevers sitting in my closet. The only thing that bothers me is the ridiculous amount of dust with the OEM Brembo's, which I have heard is way less with Wearevers. The Wearevers pay for themselves since I spend so much $ on wheel cleaners.
Old 03-23-13, 04:19 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I am in the same boat as a lot of you guys. I bought my Wearevers a few months back because I wanted something a little lower dusting than the OEMs, and I just have them sitting in my garage waiting for my OEMs to wear out. It wasn't a money issue, meaning I didn't try to "cheap out" by getting these pads, it was an issue of finding low dusting readily available pads and these got good reviews.

Anyone else have the problems of the OP?
Old 03-23-13, 06:13 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wearever pads

I think we are jumping to some unproven conclusions here ladies and gents. The OP first needs to have his rotors checked for thickness variations, which is highly likely given that the oem pads only lasted 18k. And the fact that the oem pads are made out of some very heavy rotor wearing material, hence the lip that formed on your rotor, yes you rotor really was that thick at one time! This is very common on Brembo equipped vehicles, and we see it every day at our shop. I am in noway a fan of Wearever products, I just think we need to keep this discussion fair. Secondly op the cracking you are seeing on the inner pad surface is indicative of a pad that has NOT been bedded in properly, (http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports/faq.php) we ALWAYS bed pads before a vehicle is released to the customer, and ALWAYS recommended that a vehicle is driven gently for the first 500 miles after the pads are replaced. This gives the pads time to conform to the surface of the rotors and apply a proper and uniform pad material to the surface of the rotor. (Which is in fact what can cause what some people refer to as "warped" brake rotors, this is actually more often than not the build up of pad material on one place of the rotor causing a thickness variation resulting in a brake pedal pulsation.) OP doing 110mph panic stops on fresh pads which have not been bedded in properly caused excessive heat, and cracking of the brake pad material, and this is in no way a fault of the brake pad. A simple testing with a micrometer of the brake pad for uniform thickness will tell you if the pads have been constructed properly and are of uniform thickness. I have seen many pads form every manufacturer built crooked. It happens all of the time, but, in this case I think the fault lies in the brake rotor and excessive wear on its surface. I am also of the same school of thought that there are few things you don't cheap out of in life, 1. pacemakers 2. firearms 3. tires 4. brake pads and related components 5. parachutes and finally bullet proof vest. These are the view things that when you REALLY need them you hope that you have the best that money can buy because your life depends on it. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ming15237; 03-23-13 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 06:37 AM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

ive used wearever pads for at least 7,000 miles. every weekend im in the canyon roads driving like a nut. i love these pads
Old 03-23-13, 10:36 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by ming15237
I think we are jumping to some unproven conclusions here ladies and gents. The OP first needs to have his rotors checked for thickness variations, which is highly likely given that the oem pads only lasted 18k. And the fact that the oem pads are made out of some very heavy rotor wearing material, hence the lip that formed on your rotor, yes you rotor really was that thick at one time! This is very common on Brembo equipped vehicles, and we see it every day at our shop. I am in noway a fan of Wearever products, I just think we need to keep this discussion fair. Secondly op the cracking you are seeing on the inner pad surface is indicative of a pad that has NOT been bedded in properly, (http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports/faq.php) we ALWAYS bed pads before a vehicle is released to the customer, and ALWAYS recommended that a vehicle is driven gently for the first 500 miles after the pads are replaced. This gives the pads time to conform to the surface of the rotors and apply a proper and uniform pad material to the surface of the rotor. (Which is in fact what can cause what some people refer to as "warped" brake rotors, this is actually more often than not the build up of pad material on one place of the rotor causing a thickness variation resulting in a brake pedal pulsation.) OP doing 110mph panic stops on fresh pads which have not been bedded in properly caused excessive heat, and cracking of the brake pad material, and this is in no way a fault of the brake pad. A simple testing with a micrometer of the brake pad for uniform thickness will tell you if the pads have been constructed properly and are of uniform thickness. I have seen many pads form every manufacturer built crooked. It happens all of the time, but, in this case I think the fault lies in the brake rotor and excessive wear on its surface. I am also of the same school of thought that there are few things you don't cheap out of in life, 1. pacemakers 2. firearms 3. tires 4. brake pads and related components 5. parachutes and finally bullet proof vest. These are the view things that when you REALLY need them you hope that you have the best that money can buy because your life depends on it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the voice of reason. I completely agree.
Old 03-23-13, 11:00 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

+2...well said my friend.
Old 03-23-13, 12:07 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGF
The guys at Speed-Freaks gave me great customer service!! I also recommend them.

Feel free to get a hold of us for any assistance needed!
Old 03-23-13, 12:22 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I would like to chime in here that although I don't completely agree with everything stated, the poster is correct that occasionally it isn't uncommon that bed in runs from 80mph to 10 (110 is a little excessive) followed by a complete stop with the pad in contact with a rotor will leave a deposit that will feel similar to a "warped" rotor. That isn't the concern that I picked up from the brief overview of the OPs post.

The "crooked" or uneven molding of the pad compound described is usually due to the wear on the mold that is being used by the manufacturer. Most mid-lower end manufacturers do not have QA in place to check often enough to catch this wear, so entire batches dispatched from the manufacturer may have the same uneven material. The processes are automated and depending on the investment in capital (multiple inspection cameras) or the batch inspection (1 every 100 or 1000 units) it is possible to have several pads behave the same way. Molds are expensive, so they may be willing to ease up on what is "passable," This is easier to identify based on the date codes stamped into the pad backing plate or on the box, if available.
Old 03-24-13, 07:52 PM
localnark
Driver School Candidate

just to clear up some info here my oem pads had plenty of life and where just being replaced due to being annoyed with brake dust amount. I never measured my rotors but they where fine. I was also very easy on these for several hundred miles after i thought they where all set...then my lead foot kicked back in after with dralws...but anyway the input is great. also I wanted to restate this is just my opinion and in now way stating that
everyone will have this issue but just wanted to make it aware incase you have this issue... and i agree a few other things not to cheap out on....safty glasses.metal support beams. and condoms...lol

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-24-13, 07:57 PM
localnark
Driver School Candidate

on 2nd thought I'm going to measure my rotors just for my own sanity just to be sure..thanks

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-25-13, 06:09 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question: When you guys replace the pads w/o changing the rotors. Do you guys do anything special to the rotor to clean it up such as putting a steel wool to it or sandpaper?
Old 03-25-13, 06:12 PM
localnark
Driver School Candidate

Quick Question? What is your method of bedding the brakes (new pads,old rotor) Any differance with new and new, and if possible be very descriptive, Thanks for the help
Old 03-25-13, 07:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^I bedded my brakes in using the attached method. I eventually reached speeds of 80MPH, dropping down to about 10MPH, never stopping until I got home after completion of the initial bedding process. I had new rotors and new pads.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS F Wearever Brake pad issue / Just a Opinion-brakebedding.jpg  
Old 03-26-13, 07:35 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by localnark
Quick Question? What is your method of bedding the brakes (new pads,old rotor) Any differance with new and new, and if possible be very descriptive, Thanks for the help
The following is directly from Hawk Performance pads web site. The only thing that differs from this for us is we can't take customers cars to "race speeds" w can hit a max of 55mph as per the local speed limit. I don't want ANY of my guys getting arrested for doing 80 in a customers car, as this would result in their immediate dismissal.

Brake pad break-in procedure.

After reaching medium speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat four or five times.
At higher speeds engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat five times.
At or near race speed engage brake pedal to slow car without coming to a complete stop. Release pedal quickly and do not drag brakes. Repeat three times. Allow a few seconds between brake engagements while car is in motion.
Do not hold brake pedal. Park car for approximately 20 minutes or until brake rotors are completely cool to the touch.
If during the above steps the brake pedal becomes soft or brake fade is noticed, park the car immediately for approximately 20 minutes. Do not hold brake pedal.

Important reminders:

Do not attempt to use badly worn or damaged rotors with new brake pads.
Do not drag brakes while car is moving during break-in procedure.
Do not engage pedal while car is stopped at any time following the break-in procedure.
Upon completing the procedure, allow the brake system to completely cool before racing.
Applying the pedal a few times before the start of the race will allow the brake pads to heat up before attempting to reach race speeds.
Clean a used rotor surface with fine sand paper or steel wool, rinse with water, dry and install before bedding new pads.
Some forms of racing don't allow time for the proper break-in procedure to be performed. However, it is still very important to attempt to perform at least the core of the procedure: slow heat build up and complete cool down.
Old 04-01-13, 08:46 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

It seems like i have the same issue with Wearevers pads. I was painting my caliper over the weekend and i took liberty of pulling my front pads out and took a pic. IMO these pads are still great. I mean, we all bought these pads for one reason only and its because it accumulates less dust on our wheels which it really does. I don't drive aggressively so this suites me very well.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS F Wearever Brake pad issue / Just a Opinion-photo.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus IS F Wearever Brake pad issue / Just a Opinion