IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need help (interior buzzing and chrome trim repair)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 12:00 AM
WebSoCal
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help (interior buzzing and chrome trim repair)

Hello everyone!!! I have some questions about the interior in my car.... I am not sure how to call these two parts so I couldn't make a clearer title!!! It comes clear when you see the pics!!!! Hope someone could chime in some ideas how to fix them!!!

I feel like the part above air vents is flipping..... and the silver trim part next to the shift **** is definitely peeling .... HELP ME OUT PLEASE
Old 03-20-13, 12:35 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

By flipping, do you mean rattling? I've read that some of the 2IS and some F owners had a rattle where you are pinpointing. Had anything been done to it previously- maybe by a previous owner? I remember having to remove the central vents to install a nav override module.

As for the silver trim peeling, I'm not really sure what can be done. Some will get creative and place an overlay, but I'm not sure what else can be done. Was there something done to the shift ****? I know that some have modified it a bit and then had it semi grind that long silver area for up and down shifting.
Old 03-20-13, 12:51 AM
silver750
Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
By flipping, do you mean rattling? I've read that some of the 2IS and some F owners had a rattle where you are pinpointing. Had anything been done to it previously- maybe by a previous owner? I remember having to remove the central vents to install a nav override module.

As for the silver trim peeling, I'm not really sure what can be done. Some will get creative and place an overlay, but I'm not sure what else can be done. Was there something done to the shift ****? I know that some have modified it a bit and then had it semi grind that long silver area for up and down shifting.
I can also confirm that the rattling comes from the central vent area. I removed all the vents, cleaned them and added a little extra foam via glue and voila, rattling gone!

As for the silver trim, I'd probably strip down and paint if you are feeling DIYish. Perhaps black?
Old 03-20-13, 01:52 AM
WebSoCal
Driver

Thanks for the help!!! I just checked how to remove the central vents and it seemed to be pretty doable by myself.... i'm not really a DIY person cause I have the tendency to break things.. lol.
Speaking of silver trim, I'm thinking to really strip down and get it painted... which color I don't know yet but will definitely update the thread!!
BTW, did you just use 3m double sided foam tape to tape on the vents????

Originally Posted by silver750
I can also confirm that the rattling comes from the central vent area. I removed all the vents, cleaned them and added a little extra foam via glue and voila, rattling gone!

As for the silver trim, I'd probably strip down and paint if you are feeling DIYish. Perhaps black?
Old 03-20-13, 01:55 AM
WebSoCal
Driver

I'm not sure if the previous owner had done anything to the module.... he only told me that he activated the DVD function... not too sure if that requires taking out the whole radio unit....
thanks for the headup

Originally Posted by bnizzle87

Old 03-20-13, 02:23 AM
SPoon22
Pole Position

The chrome on the center piece was peeling in my car as well. I had it replaced under warranty. I usually cover that piece or keep it out of the sun...
Old 03-20-13, 10:26 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by WebSoCal
I'm not sure if the previous owner had done anything to the module.... he only told me that he activated the DVD function... not too sure if that requires taking out the whole radio unit....
thanks for the headup
If by activating the DVD function, you should have a switch somewhere outside of the console - maybe to the right of your knee when in the seat - so that you can utilize it while in motion. You would need to take out the center console, which includes the central vents. If there are no switches, then it might have been a splicing of wires. Definitely try punching in an address while in motion. It should work regardless. Double sided tape did the job when I had the function installed. Another thing I'd recommend, and I don't see too many people having it, would be a dashboard cover. Protects the dash against the sun and it'll cover up the area so that it won't become a bother.
Old 03-20-13, 10:34 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Also, there are noises inside the cabin from other things - the mirror is one of the worst - so before you start putting a lot of time and effort into removing the air vents and putting foam on things, make sure it isn't the mirror by grabbing the right side of the rear view and squeezing it when you hear the buzzing. In my car, it sounded to me as if there was a buzz from the passenger's air vent, but it was actually the rear view mirror.
Old 03-20-13, 10:40 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

My chrome piece is peeling as well. I guess that's something that's bound to happen.