IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installed the ijdmtoy LED DRLs ...what a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 08:23 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California allows white/amber lights in the front.

Heck i think even the DOT allows that.

Reference:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc25950.htm

Last edited by 9aristo; 05-17-13 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-06-15, 02:42 PM
CollinCoon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is old but does anyone have experience with leaving the covers off long term? I know iJDMToy claims you can but I am curious to see if anyone actually did that and can confirm that they arent just blowing smoke up our asses. Right now my DRL's flicker and it drives me crazy. Im strongly considering installing the relays and leaving the covers off to avoid drilling holes in a cover that is intended to keep moisture and debris out of the housing... Seems like a cover with holes in it is no different as having no cover at all...
Old 06-06-15, 02:53 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CollinCoon
I know this thread is old but does anyone have experience with leaving the covers off long term? I know iJDMToy claims you can but I am curious to see if anyone actually did that and can confirm that they arent just blowing smoke up our asses. Right now my DRL's flicker and it drives me crazy. Im strongly considering installing the relays and leaving the covers off to avoid drilling holes in a cover that is intended to keep moisture and debris out of the housing... Seems like a cover with holes in it is no different as having no cover at all...
I don't have any experience with leaving the cover off but I would not recommend anyone to do so. You will most likely end up with a fog up headlights.
However, I purchased these and they fit just fine inside the headlight for the covers to go back on. Basically I removed the case to get them fit. There is a screw underneath the label so make sure you take it off before pry the case apart. Also, make sure you follow the instruction to the letter and check the polarity before install the decoder.
This is a must for any LED DRL conversion. I know some might say the flickering isn't that noticeable but I could not deal with the flicker especially when you drive behind someone with a clean and very reflective car.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/SearchResul...&Submit=Search
Old 06-08-15, 07:37 AM
ckkone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just have the dealer disable your DRL, they look dumb anyway.....
Old 06-08-15, 06:26 PM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

it doesn't look that bad honestly..
Old 06-08-15, 06:51 PM
ISFalex
Driver

It's way easier if you remove the air box and intake on the passenger side and move the (what i think is) coolant pipe on the drivers side. Just changed all my bulbs to LED's, but i don't use iJDMTOY... I've had bad experiences with them.
Old 06-10-15, 05:25 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I cracked the housing on the bulky decoder and taped up the circuit board so it wouldn't ground out or wear through the tape. Was able to fit the cap back on and slip the circuit board down inside the headlight so it doesnt mess with the AFS. Its a pain and rather ghetto but it serves its purpose lol. Also running blue drl's is a misdemeanor here in colorado. Got threatened with jail time and a potential 3000 dollar fine, next offense. Got away with a ticket just over 400. Run the whites, its not worth the risk, although the blues are neat looking, not worth it in the long run. I ran a switched fuse and kept the blues but got tired of always watching my back and finger on the kill switch.