IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installed the ijdmtoy LED DRLs ...what a PITA

Old 03-27-13, 10:08 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

where does the black pouch looking thing go?

When I installed my LED's.. I just attached the wires to the stock wiring harness and the LED bulb, I have no clue what that black pouch is or where it would go
Old 03-27-13, 11:19 AM
g356gear
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
where does the black pouch looking thing go?

When I installed my LED's.. I just attached the wires to the stock wiring harness and the LED bulb, I have no clue what that black pouch is or where it would go
More clarification from JDMtoys....buyer be aware of what you will be getting.

"The slim decoders are not a default item. If you saw this information on the forum, I believe that there is some misinformation being presented to people. Slim decoders were only available via special request through Private Messages on the forum or directly through me. We do not currently have any slim decoders available at the moment."
Old 03-27-13, 11:26 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That module/pouch thing will actually fit into the housing, just take care when you shimmy it in there. It will end up hanging inside and the cover will close like normal.
Old 03-27-13, 08:59 PM
g356gear
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boma
That module/pouch thing will actually fit into the housing, just take care when you shimmy it in there. It will end up hanging inside and the cover will close like normal.
I dont care how much you think that 1" thick case is going into the housing, its not...no matter how much lube you put on it.
The VLED decoder was 1/2" thick and it was a squeeze to get it in there.
I pulled the case off the decoder and I think I can get the guts into the housing without much issue. Will give it a try tomorrow.
Old 03-28-13, 12:05 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by g356gear
More clarification from JDMtoys....buyer be aware of what you will be getting.

"The slim decoders are not a default item. If you saw this information on the forum, I believe that there is some misinformation being presented to people. Slim decoders were only available via special request through Private Messages on the forum or directly through me. We do not currently have any slim decoders available at the moment."
This is correct. As of right now, we do not have any slim decoders available. We only have the larger bulky decoders available which still work, but you would not be able to put the cap back on. This does not cause any problems as we have sold these to other owners and we even have an employee who daily drives his IS250 without the caps and it's no problem.

Lexus never intended for something to be used inside the cap of the DRLs so the room is quite small and a bit of a headache to fit something in there. Even with the slim decoders, the installation is a bit tedious as you have to correctly position the decoders in a way that the cap can lock into place.
Old 03-28-13, 06:19 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wait??? So I didn't actually get the slim decoders even though I requested them ?
Old 03-29-13, 09:56 AM
joedr
Rookie

Are they going to be available or they are discontinued?

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
This is correct. As of right now, we do not have any slim decoders available. We only have the larger bulky decoders available which still work, but you would not be able to put the cap back on. This does not cause any problems as we have sold these to other owners and we even have an employee who daily drives his IS250 without the caps and it's no problem.

Lexus never intended for something to be used inside the cap of the DRLs so the room is quite small and a bit of a headache to fit something in there. Even with the slim decoders, the installation is a bit tedious as you have to correctly position the decoders in a way that the cap can lock into place.
Old 03-29-13, 10:32 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RCM83
Oh wait??? So I didn't actually get the slim decoders even though I requested them ?
Did you request it through me specifically? Or did you ask through the order? It has to be requested directly through me because if you request it through the order, our warehouse staff will not know what the slim decoders are because it's not a regular item we sell.

You can PM me your order information and I can find out for you.

Originally Posted by joedr
Are they going to be available or they are discontinued?
At the moment, they are just not available. I am not sure if we will be continuing to stock them due to their low popularity as this is only used for Lexus. I'll find out and let you guys know when I can.
Old 03-29-13, 03:41 PM
joedr
Rookie

Good info. If they are back in stock....please shoot me a pm.

Thanks for replying!
Old 05-12-13, 03:34 PM
Willis1550
Driver

Just connected my iJDM DRL after my V-LEDS finally **** the bed after 2 years. I forgot to check the polarity with the test light though. Did you guys connect the decoder to the stock harness Red (Decoder) to Red (Stock Harness)? Or Red (Decoder) to White (Stock Harness)?

I've got everything taped up and it's working but wanted to check.
Old 05-12-13, 07:14 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

Guys, i've done the DRL mod with just the "decoders" and if your LED is pulsing/flickering, your led bulb might die prematurely.

To feed the full current/voltage to the bulbs, you need to run a relay, that is powered by the decoders (i'm using the V-LEDS version, the iJDMtoy one looked funny to me). this is the same relay people use for xenon systems to lead the ballast to pull straight from the battery... No more flickering, pulses, etc.

Last edited by 9aristo; 05-12-13 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-12-13, 11:10 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Can you please post the link to the exact part (decoder) used?

Originally Posted by 9aristo
Guys, i've done the DRL mod with just the "decoders" and if your LED is pulsing/flickering, your led bulb might die prematurely.

To feed the full current/voltage to the bulbs, you need to run a relay, that is powered by the decoders (i'm using the V-LEDS version, the iJDMtoy one looked funny to me). this is the same relay people use for xenon systems to lead the ballast to pull straight from the battery... No more flickering, pulses, etc.

Old 05-13-13, 08:37 PM
9aristo
Pole Position

they're apparently out of stock...

http://www.vleds.com/9006-plug-n-pla...le-1-each.html

these are the 9005 bulbs i'm using:

http://www.vleds.com/bulb/9000-serie...45-1-pair.html

the relay kit I got from retrofitsource:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=252
Old 05-16-13, 09:30 PM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the ijdm ones off the site and requested slim decoders.

Mine definitely does not look like those rectangle ones.
It was like wire heat shrinked. About 1-1.5 inch round.

It did take me a long time and definitely is one of the more difficult change a light bulb but mainly due to getting the decoders inside the Dust cap. It 100 percent do-able.

I bought Xenon White.
Expected pure white like other stock manufactures led drl but it has a light baby blue look to it.

Dunno if it is rice :/

Maybe I should see from far what they look like.
I'll take pictures.
Old 05-17-13, 04:12 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry man but that screams ILLEGAL, PULL ME OVER!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed the ijdmtoy LED DRLs ...what a PITA