IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installed the ijdmtoy LED DRLs ...what a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 04:00 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by g356gear
I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I had the VLED version and they were just barely small enough to fit into the housing opening with the wires. The dust cap installed over top like it was originally. This decoder is physically too large to fit into the opening. I dont want to modify the dust cap and get humidity into the headlight.
Oh, well the thread is about the ijdmtoy drl LED's with the decoder so I assumed just that. I'm not sure about the VLED ones.
Old 03-26-13, 08:19 AM
g356gear
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
Oh, well the thread is about the ijdmtoy drl LED's with the decoder so I assumed just that. I'm not sure about the VLED ones.
You missed my point. The VLED decoders are much smaller than the JDMtoy versions and the VLED versions barely fit into the housing. The JDMtoy versions are waaaay to big to go inside the housing. Here is the response from JDMtoy customer service......

"The item you purchased is correct for your vehicle, you will need to leave the cap off to install these lights. There are no negative side-effects of leaving the cap off because the housing is sealed already at where the bulbs connect."
Old 03-26-13, 09:33 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by g356gear
You missed my point. The VLED decoders are much smaller than the JDMtoy versions and the VLED versions barely fit into the housing. The JDMtoy versions are waaaay to big to go inside the housing. Here is the response from JDMtoy customer service......

"The item you purchased is correct for your vehicle, you will need to leave the cap off to install these lights. There are no negative side-effects of leaving the cap off because the housing is sealed already at where the bulbs connect."
Interesting.

Depends on who you talk to at Ijdmtoy will tell you different answers. My friend works there and he helped me install these and we were easily able to keep the cap on.

Besides, they don't care if you leave the cap on or not.. as long as it works lol.

I think you guys are giving up too quickly, if multiple people around here were able to install it (as well as myself) and put the cap back on.. then this is completely an installer issue.
Old 03-26-13, 11:23 AM
g356gear
Rookie

Interesting.

Depends on who you talk to at Ijdmtoy will tell you different answers. My friend works there and he helped me install these and we were easily able to keep the cap on.

Besides, they don't care if you leave the cap on or not.. as long as it works lol.

I think you guys are giving up too quickly, if multiple people around here were able to install it (as well as myself) and put the cap back on.. then this is completely an installer issue.
A follow up response from JDMtoy...

"Unfortunately, there are no other alternatives. The cap is to prevent dust and dirt from getting into the housing, many of the newer vehicles tend to use covers and caps for many parts of the vehicle for aesthetic purposes to make it a cleaner look; your Lexus's engine bay is covered with plastic panels which have to be removed to even access the lights. We've sold this setup to many Lexus vehicles (including an employee vehicle) and have not had any problems with moisture in the headlights because the bulb's o-ring prevents this from happening."
Old 03-26-13, 11:31 AM
rc2o6
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my thread from 09/2012 when i installed the ijdmtoy led drl's. Pictures and install references in it.

It was indeed a PITA to install on the passenger side but well worth it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html
Old 03-26-13, 11:35 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Exactly, if you can't install the DRL's then you shouldn't be near a car =P
Old 03-26-13, 04:00 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rc2o6
Here's my thread from 09/2012 when i installed the ijdmtoy led drl's. Pictures and install references in it.

It was indeed a PITA to install on the passenger side but well worth it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...installed.html
I actually followed your thread haha. I think the issue for me was time, I was expecting this to take an hour or two tops and as I got to the hour mark and realized I hadn't even got the first bulb in I decided to just put them in without the decoders (had an appt somewhere I had to make it to). It also didn't help that it was like 40* out and I was starting to lose feeling in my hands. I might try this again when I know I have more time to work with and it's warmer out in the garage.
Old 03-26-13, 04:01 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Exactly, if you can't install the DRL's then you shouldn't be near a car =P
Its not difficult per say it's just a pain in the *** for something that should be so simple. I've never seen a car where it was such a pain to change out some bulbs.
Old 03-26-13, 04:15 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

It took me a good 30 mins (due to removing the intake box for space and all the clips). The cover was easy to put back if you're careful and know exactly where it should be placed so the latch can be put back.

If you needed to do this a month from now and live near Johns Hopkins (ill be traveling there next month) then I can provide assistance. lol
Old 03-26-13, 04:41 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

30 minutes?! ..perhaps I shouldn't be under the hood of a car then

I might take you up on that!
Old 03-26-13, 04:49 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Yeah the passenger side is the worst because of the clips/bolts you need to push the intake aside, the driver side was easy just unbolt the washer fluid tube out to the side and you're good to go.
Old 03-26-13, 09:51 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Driver side.......move washer fluid tube. (one bolt) easy.
Passenger side.....move intake box (two bolts, one clamp) easy, after air box moved out of the way, way more space to work with in comparison with driver side.
Old 03-27-13, 07:03 AM
g356gear
Rookie

Is this the decoder you guys got with yours? 2" wide X 3" long X 1" thick.

Old 03-27-13, 09:47 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Yeah thats the wires that came with my LED's. I have no clue what that black pouch looking this is though
Old 03-27-13, 09:58 AM
g356gear
Rookie

Yeah thats the wires that came with my LED's. I have no clue what that black pouch looking this is though
Thats the decoder they sent me. There's one for each headlight and they are huge!

Quick Reply: Installed the ijdmtoy LED DRLs ...what a PITA