IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Track advice on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 08:03 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track advice on a budget

So I've been looking at how to maximize my budget all winter. I track the car a few times a year, and where I really want to improve the car is in the corners. I've got more than enough power and I'm happy with the brakes.

245/275 Super Sports are a sure thing, but I've got about another $1000 I'd like to use on suspension.

Would it be better spent on LCA bushings, sway bars and Swift springs?

or

BC Racing coilovers?

or something else? The Swift springs have some drop it looks like and I'd really like to stay at stock ride height so the suspension geometry isn't sacrificed and save my front bumper from speed bumps.

Any opinions are welcome.
Old 03-15-13, 08:16 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonISF
So I've been looking at how to maximize my budget all winter. I track the car a few times a year, and where I really want to improve the car is in the corners. I've got more than enough power and I'm happy with the brakes.

245/275 Super Sports are a sure thing, but I've got about another $1000 I'd like to use on suspension.

Would it be better spent on LCA bushings, sway bars and Swift springs?

or

BC Racing coilovers?

or something else? The Swift springs have some drop it looks like and I'd really like to stay at stock ride height so the suspension geometry isn't sacrificed and save my front bumper from speed bumps.

Any opinions are welcome.
Hey Carbon,

My BC coil's were way too soft on the corners of Mosport, even at the hardest settings I just couldn't prevent the front end from nose diving and banging my fender liners..yes I was probably a smidgeon too low. The rear was fine. The coils are great for the street, but I would save a little and get the KW - V3's. Next time we meet you can drive my car and feel the BC's in comparison...anytime. My rear F-Sport sway bar, is really a neutral thing, and it only feels different on turn in ...IMO,not worth it for what you are trying to achieve.

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 03-15-13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 08:26 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by digger08
Hey Carbon,

My BC coil's were way too soft on the corners of Mosport, even at the hardest settings I just couldn't prevent the front end from nose diving and banging my fender liners..yes I was probably a smidgeon too low. The rear was fine. The coils are great for the street, but I would save a little and get the KW - V3's. Next time we meet you can drive my car and feel the BC's in comparison...anytime. My rear F-Sport sway bar, is really a neutral thing, and it only feels different on turn in ...IMO,not worth it for what you are trying to achieve.

Digger08
Hey man, I saw you a couple weeks ago one morning in Mississauga while dropping the gf at work Anyway, sorry to hear about the BC coilovers, I know you loved them on the street last we met. BC does say they will revalve the shocks if you up the spring rate, so would going 2k or 4k higher on the front be the way to go?

I really loved the car at the Mosport driver development track last time I went, but found the rear was a tad too hard? I'm not sure how to explain it, but it felt too happy to slide out. My biggest problem was oversteer or hopping on the gas too quickly out of the corner.
Old 03-15-13, 08:44 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Also, how did the BC coilovers hold up over the winter? Thanks for mentioning the rear sway bar, I was wondering if that was worth it.

Edit: Not to rule out the KW V3s, that would be my first choice, but I'm dumping enough on the car this year as it is, I can look at upgrading later if this track season teases out more problems with the setup.

Edit edit: The last set of PS2 tires were worn more on the outside than the inside, so a camber adjustment is certianly something to consider. Maybe Fig's mega arms would help this. I'd probably run even lower tire pressures next season, around 32 PSI.

Last edited by CarbonISF; 03-15-13 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-16-13, 08:31 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered getting figs MEGA ARMS?

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...&product_id=55

I have heard good things about them. You could also go with a few of the TOMS braces to try and stiffen up the car. Its kinda hard to say what to do when we dont know what is done to the car so far.
Old 03-16-13, 09:20 AM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by zapa
Have you considered getting figs MEGA ARMS?

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...&product_id=55

I have heard good things about them. You could also go with a few of the TOMS braces to try and stiffen up the car. Its kinda hard to say what to do when we dont know what is done to the car so far.
So far all I've done is PPE headers, Takeda intake, Stoptech SS lines, Motul RBF600 Dot 4 brake fluid, and new rotors all round with Stoptech performance pads.

Ideally I'd buy everything Figs makes but the arms seemed like overkill for my purposes. Although now they are starting to look more worthwhile for the camber adjustment.

Regarding chassis bracing, which ones are worth doing?
Old 03-16-13, 11:24 AM
VegasISF
Driver School Candidate

i love my swift springs...the car turns in much better than before and doesn't sacrifice and ride quality. With new bushings and sway bars i think that should be the best bang for you buck. have fun!
Old 03-16-13, 12:02 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by VegasISF
i love my swift springs...the car turns in much better than before and doesn't sacrifice and ride quality. With new bushings and sway bars i think that should be the best bang for you buck. have fun!
This kind of what I'm thinking and I can always add Tokico dampers later if needed.

How much was it to get the springs installed. Or did you do it yourself?

If Figs/Swift does custom sizes and spring rates, that would be ideal...
Old 03-16-13, 06:00 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far all I've done is PPE headers, Takeda intake, Stoptech SS lines, Motul RBF600 Dot 4 brake fluid, and new rotors all round with Stoptech performance pads.

Ideally I'd buy everything Figs makes but the arms seemed like overkill for my purposes. Although now they are starting to look more worthwhile for the camber adjustment.

Regarding chassis bracing, which ones are worth doing?
I am not 100% sure on which ones are worth doing but you for sure need to get either the F sport sway bar or the Sikky sway bars. The car corners much flatter with the new sway bar in it. The other toms braces though I have no clue. Im sure someone else knows which ones are good.
Old 03-16-13, 06:59 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a sikky sway bar @ 100% stiffer than stock and swift springs. The sway bar is worth it but I'm going to get coil overs. I'm gonna try the BC but bump the rate in the front to 16k and leave the rears at 10k.
Old 03-16-13, 07:22 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by darbs242
I have a sikky sway bar @ 100% stiffer than stock and swift springs. The sway bar is worth it but I'm going to get coil overs. I'm gonna try the BC but bump the rate in the front to 16k and leave the rears at 10k.
I'm running 14k/ 10K on the BC's.

Digger08
Old 03-17-13, 04:11 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

If you do run the coilovers just make sure you get the right spring rates the first time. Ask folks who have gone to the track and sit in their car.
Old 03-17-13, 08:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Front springs are where you can make the biggest difference. Shocks need to be matched to the spring rate. The inside rear wheel lifts with the stock springs on the '08 - '09 models for sure, I have experienced this at the track. Honestly, you have a very difficult decision to make - do you want the car to work well at the track, or do you want it to ride nicely on the street. These two things to not go together.
Old 03-17-13, 10:41 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by digger08
Hey Carbon,

Digger08
I'm running 16/12K and have not had those issues...
My advice is get BCR's and lower it a little... that will give you some more negative camber and give you adjustable dampening for track/street use. In the future then you can add mega arms, etc as $$$ becomes avail. (i'm getting mine installed today! ... along with toe links, rear upper links and 2-piece rotors front and rear!)
Can't go wrong with the sway bar IMHO either... I have all the Tom's chassis bracing stuff except the rear shock tower bar. I definitely feel that it helped with the stiffness of the car etc, but as lobux will point out are the differences measurable in faster lap times?? IDK... I have made more than one change at a time in general to my setup between track days, so pinpointing differenced to one component changed is impossible. The increase in negative camber was measurable however and certainly reduced the insanely bad outside tire wear (especially the front) at the track.

Last edited by ERDoc74; 03-17-13 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-17-13, 11:01 PM
VegasISF
Driver School Candidate

How much was it to get the springs installed. Or did you do it yourself?
should only take about 2-3 hours so depending on how much your shop charges it can vary. I think i remember paying around $250-$300

Quick Reply: Track advice on a budget