IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

BMW 335i vs ISF

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 08:26 AM
tgui
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
No, only an idiot wouldn't be worried about reliability to some extent. I don't care if you're driving around a $5K beater or you have millions in disposable income, dealing with a car breaking down on you when you don't expect it is a pain. Reliability has to be part of the equation... and it is up to each of us to decide how much of that we want to give up for performance. If reliability was not a factor at all, I'd probably have an M3 rather than an ISF right now, but I simply did not trust that the M3 would be as trouble free as the ISF. I seriously considered an M3 too (as many of us probably did if we're being honest).
Sure did look at the M3. Reliability and lack of torque (NA small V8 at the time) were a total turn off. Well that and how BMW nickles and dimes you to death on features. My wife has a BMW, I have experience with this.

Otherwise its a great and beautiful car.
Old 03-18-13, 08:45 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Originally Posted by obby
i pretty much have the same mods, except i have sikky header and i was able to take out a GTR on the highway going about 160mph..
Please share HAHA ...thats pretty amazing you beat a GT-R
Old 03-18-13, 08:46 AM
pc1990
Pole Position

Originally Posted by staman
Thats why I got these plates. Seeing guys in M3/M5's trying to take me out makes me laugh. I toy with them. There's nothing they can do about it and they get soooo bent out of shape.
You are the man Awesome plates!
Old 03-18-13, 08:53 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kolyan
oh...wow, looks like i have an account here as well

I came from 335i to S2000 though. But I have to agree with post above. Reliability is important, its a pain to always have to deal with dealerships.

I had e46 M3 and e92 335i and both had problems (both were great cars too), wasnt enough to annoy me but i can see the negative here.
Heya! I agree with all the posts here on reliability. There are many reasons why we all went with the cars we have. For us "toyota fanboiz rofl" as some of the members there call us, we like the balance of luxury and reliability that Lexus is known for. Just like BMW owners who look for the prestige and legacy the brand carries. We can go back and forth between who has the better car and why but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste.

Like vbb, I did have interest in the 3 series and even the M3 but truthfully at the end of the day it came down to reliability and exclusivity. I see at least a handful of E9x M3s everyday compared to one or two ISFs every month.
Old 03-18-13, 09:02 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

....And with the announcement of a V6TT \ 420hp+ from GM on 2014+ models on their REGULAR, non V models, Lexus/Toyota really has no chance in terms of a "next" performance car.

At least in the next 3-5 years, choices for performance oriented cars will be plentiful. Both in the new and used automobile market.
Old 03-18-13, 09:10 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by itsmike177
....And with the announcement of a V6TT \ 420hp+ from GM on 2014+ models on their REGULAR, non V models, Lexus/Toyota really has no chance in terms of a "next" performance car.

At least in the next 3-5 years, choices for performance oriented cars will be plentiful. Both in the new and used automobile market.
If you only knew about the 2UR... You would laugh at that statement.
Old 03-18-13, 09:11 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by itsmike177

i saw that, pretty crazy. It has Gen 1 CTS-V numbers. Be interesting to see how much aftermarket tuning the turbos can take.
Old 03-18-13, 09:32 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
LOL these guys think they're invincible......hilarious. Vbb thanks for being the moderator there. Show them who the more mature crowd is. Either they're ignorant or afraid to admit that JB blah blah blah will compromise reliability, no question. Not one 335 owner in that thread has said "my car has no issues with a tune".
compromise....yes, but to what extend ? Coming from 2 turbo tuned cars, I haven't heard much of reliability issues (and I have done research on this). 335s are not known for their reliability in the first place, but I havent heard of issues directly related to tuning. There are people running stock and need new turbos at 40k and there are people tuned that are doing just fine.

Dont know much about this cars but Supra should be a good example of reliability and tuning.

I mean if you wanna keep your car for 100k miles or more then perhaps tuning is not such a good idea (then again i might be wrong) but having a tune/chip on a car for 50-60k miles should not make it less reliable for the most part. And not many people keep Euro cars for long time anyway due to reliability, and the ones that do, actually know what they are doing and can do most work on a car themselves so they really dont care if they need new coil packs at 80k instead of say 100k miles. As far as engine block goes, N54 can take lots of power without any issues.

I personally think that tuning cars like 135, 335, A4s etc.....is well worth it. Amazing results for $500 (average)

Last edited by kolyan; 03-18-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-18-13, 09:42 AM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kolyan
compromise....yes, but to what extend ? Coming from 2 turbo tuned cars, I haven't heard much of reliability issues. 335s are not known for their reliability in the first place, but I havent heard of issues directly related to tuning. There are people running stock and need new turbos at 40k and there are people tuned that are doing just fine.

Dont know much about this cars but Supra should be a good example of reliability and tuning.
The tuning on a 335 mainly just means you have to replace stuff faster than normal, spark plugs, coil packs, injectors and stuff. It all goes bad on stock ones, just gets sped up a little bit. As you said, the turbos go out on stock cars.
Old 03-18-13, 10:14 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

This thread has run its course and is now closed. As a reminder to those who haven't familiarized themselves with the FAQ, links to posts on other forums that foster cross-forum arguments posted on CL or another forum are prohibited here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...hibited_topics