IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-13, 09:44 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?

So just from the title I think you guys get the idea of what the thread will be about. So basically I fell in love with the brand Lexus about 2 years ago when I first saw a car in the distance going down the freeway at about 80 miles per hour. At far glance I thought it was an Audi (my favorite car brand at the time) because of the day light running LED. I was like that's a damn nice Audi up until it passed by me that I saw it was an IS250. Quickly that day after work I googled "IS250" and fell in the love with the body shape, headlights, reliability, and more. That's when I discovered this awesome website.

So moving on from my story; I've been lurking around these forums for almost 2 years. I finally signed up last year with this account, however I initially wanted the IS250 until people kept posting threads about how it feels like a grandma's car. They recommended other members to step straight into an IS350 because it's like day and night. Now I've been hunting for an IS350 for quite some time now also. Because I am picky, I want an IS350 with black interior which I'm sure some of you guys know that's extremely rare to find.

Now my hype has kind of died down about the IS350. When I drive (currently 1999 Accord) and see an ISF on the street, I freak out because it's such a rare car to encounter and I just immediately fall in love with it's aesthetics and what's under the hood (416 HP).

Now my main question is, do guys feel a 20 year old college student should be driving an ISF? I'm not rich, my family is not rich. I go to school full time, have a full time job, and volunteers on the weekend. My aunt has been wanting me to buy a car for quite some time now because my Accord is just out of date and being the only son that I am; they think I deserve a better car. I have no problem with owning a new car but I want something that I LOVE every time I step into it. I won't buy a car without doing prior research, I won't accept a different color other than SFP. I am a serious shopper, not a person shopping for underwear with the cheapest deals on colors like booger green. I am extremely picky so therefore the car has to be SFP + Black Interior. Aside from that, how is the maintenance on the car compared to the IS350? My insurance company Geico quoted me around $900 for 6 months which is not bad considering they quoted me $850 for an IS350. So that's not much of a jump however I know it's a Lexus so I'm sure there will be zero problems but that maintenance is what is really getting at me. I'm prepared to do a 10k down payment and do monthly payments on my own. I cannot see myself driving another Honda, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Because they all suck in my opinion in terms of design and reliability.

Let me know your thoughts and inputs guys!

P.S. I currently work at T-Mobile so I can afford to do monthly payments for the car so that's no problem.

EDIT: I also I forgot to say that I wanted a used 2008 ISF NOT a brand new one. So I'm looking around 35k (give or take depending if I can deal with the stealership) minus 10k down payment therefore it will be 25k that I owe which I'm sure beats a 65k car with monthly payment.

These are all solid responses but I forgot to leave out a few important details. First I wanted to say that I want a 2008 SFP ISF which goes for around 35k now minus the 10k down payment so I think I can work with 25k for monthly payments. Second, I'm getting financial aid grants right now so government pays for my school (I don't know if that will continue if I get an ISF). Third, I'm not going to be moving out any time soon, I'm actually the owner of the house right now because my parents are old (65 and 75) so they don't know how to pay the bills much less read English. So I'm already helping them out with the bill paying around $500 for rent each month and of course I pay for the cellphone bill. My brother also pitches in for the mortgage too so after my net of about $2.5k give or take for that month, I'll be looking around ~1.9k left for personal spending or car payments. Of course I also want a house right now and if I could buy a house right now I would. It's just my parents are kind of against it because they say I need a car right now versus a house. They say that can wait until you're older to invest; basically I wanted to buy a town house and put it out for rent which in my opinion beats a car because it makes you money whereas a car just sits there and looks nice. Overall, I do have decent credit; my score is currently 720 which is pretty okay considering I only started building it last year.

I don't know if this post will alter any of you guys decisions but I'm still iffy on the whole F car just because I know I can be financially stable but there are also a number of people who looks out for me and says that you're not ready it.

In my mind, I rather drive a beat up car or drive a super nice car. I don't do in "betweens" just because I rather have something I LOVE then semi-like and end up hating it every time I drive it.
I also placed kind of a personal goal on myself, I told myself if I ever got this job then I would step up to an ISF just because last year I got a job as a cashier for 8 months. That job sucked and paid me like $600 a month, then I moved over to my friend's restaurant where I was make 1.2k a month and now I recently upgraded to my current job at T-Mobile. Again I don't know which was why I seek for you guys personal advices. :P

I didn't really have a choice because the current house mortgage is pretty high and my mom recently quit working because she's too old now and plus she receives SSI now. I had no choice but to get a job and help out the family and that meant even if I was going to school full time. My parents ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS told me when I was younger that I was not going to be allowed to work part time or at all until I get out of school. School first, school on top, school above everything. However that completely changed as soon as bills started piling up and we were barely making ends meet. Now I got a decent job while going to school and we're doing pretty well with my income + my brother's and my parents SSI. I'm planning to do programming because computer and technologies just amazes me in general which was why I got the T-Mobile job easily. It was already in my nature.

So aside from that, I'm going to take advice from both of the sides. I'm going to focus on school and ride out a bit longer with my '99 Accord. However, while going to school and paying bills. I'm going to cut back on going out on dates with my girl and more time saving money. I'm going to start bringing food to work versus eating out at work everyday. That way I can potentially save up to at least 20k before I even think twice about buying an ISF. I'm planning to buy it sometime later next year if everything goes as plan. That way the 2008 ISF will not only be a year older but also a generation older because of the new release of the 2nd Generation 2014 ISF which means a substantial price drop. By then I would hopefully have 20k saved up and buying a 35k-ish car by then should be no problems at all. I'm a very patient person I told myself in the beginning of January last year that I would buy an IS350 this year but looks like I'm going to wait another year for the "F".

You guys might think I'm jumping the gun on here by wanting to purchase an ISF however I think I'm just right on task. Unlike other kids who are my age; I do not have a car of my own (my current '99 Accord is being shared between my dad and I, I go to school 2 days a week and goes to work 5 days a week). Other kids in college currently have a decent to nice car. I never had the privilege of having that decent to nice car as a graduation gift from my parents. The reason was we were not well off and that was due to the house. Now everything's better but I'm still riding in that good old reliable '99 Accord. So instead of going from '99 Accord -> Decent ~20k-25k car -> ISF. I would just drive my '99 Accord and skip the "Decent ~20k-25k car" phase and jump directly to an ISF with the money I saved that I could have potentially purchased a ~20k-25k car.

Now you guys are probably wondering, WHY the ISF? Well, that's easy. First off, I'm picky so the head, tail and side profiles have to be good looking. The car has to be reliable (this is where I hate BMWs, Audis, and Mercedes). The car has to be fast and it has to be a 4 door sedan. This is why this car is THE perfect car for me aside from the IS350. Try finding a 4 door FAST good looking reliable luxurious car. Also, I HATE coupes. You guys probably think I'm crazy because everyone around my age LOVES coupes. Here's the reason why I hate it, my mom doesn't know how to drive so I occasionally drive her around. Sometimes I have to drive my parents to the doctor, supermarket etc. I can't have old people being squeezed in the back of a coupe. And also I guess I just like the idea of being able to carry more than 2 passengers in a car that way when I go out with friends we can all carpool or whatever rather than driving 5 different cars.

ANYWAYS, today I was really wanting to drive an ISF so I headed down to Lexus of Chandler and drove around the lot. I asked the guy who worked there if they had ISF's in stock. He replied "No, I've worked here for 2 years and I've never seen an ISF on this lot; your best bet is to go to California". So that was a let down but I guess that will discourage me a bit from obsessing over the car. Because if I want something, it will always be on my mind and I will always find a way for it to be in my hands. Whether it be a laptop, smartphone, or car. I also wanted to test drive an IS250 then IS350 then ISF to see all the major "day and night" differences that you guys speak of because I honestly never driven any of the Lexus(es) that I want. The only Lexus I have ever driven is my half-brother's 2011 ES350.

Last edited by F Monster; 03-05-13 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-02-13, 10:09 PM
kteng7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford it i don't see why not b/c ISF is worth it.
Old 03-02-13, 10:29 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

dunno how you can afford rent, an is-f, insurance , bills on a tmobile part time college student salary.
Old 03-02-13, 10:33 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finish school, pay off all loans if you have them, then get the F. School loans are the worst to have. I bought my F at 23 after saving like a madman as soon as I started working. I had the option of purchasing a home vs. a vehicle in the middle of the recession... went with a car. Should have went with a home but I'm doing it in reverse. That's the sacrifice I had to make.

$10k down payment is not enough. Your monthly payments will be insane. No harm in waiting and putting down more so your monthly payments are less. Better to do 24/36/48 month loan since you'll also be paying less interest in the long run.

Only hardships are trying not to have an iron foot, and the attention the car gets

Last edited by VtotheJ; 03-02-13 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-02-13, 11:22 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If you're financially stable, then age should not be a factor. Many people still believe that the youth are unable to handle high performance vehicle because of a lack of maturity. I see it as a growing point in one's life. When one says that he or she wants to own an IS F, new or used, he or she is already preparing for the cost of ownership and the responsibilities of owning a powerful vehicle. Honestly, at 20, I thought I was ready, and only I knew it was the right decision, even now after five years of ownership. I bought it fresh out of college with a stable job starting from my final year, and yes, it does change you. It makes you more responsible for things (car payments, gas, mods ) You'll have to have tough skin for those nay-sayers thinking that you're spoiled, that your parents paid for your sweet ride, that you drive a freakin $60k car. You'll even wonder at times if it's worth it because after all- it is just a car. Or is it?

Personally, I see my F as a trophy- something I wanted to attain. I earned and saved my way to ownership, which I'm still proud of to this day. I, too, was a full time student with a full-time job, but what really pushed me to get the car was re-evaluating my life. Yes, at 20,there really isn't too much to think about besides girls, more girls, and the occasional exam. I promised myself that if I was able to complete my degrees before the release of the IS F, then I would pull the trigger on one. But damn, was it hard! Overloading essentially my final three semesters, taking those dreaded winter and summer sessions for the sake of getting what I wanted. Was it a big sacrifice? Yes, but that's the point I want to send to young buyers. Make it a challenge. Don't just say "I want this car" and just get it. There's no fun there, IMO. Link it to a goal and have it as far-fetched as can be, even to the point where it might seem unattanaible at first. But when your self-setting goals are set and achieved and you're in a position to buy, pull that trigger and never look back because you'll realize the lengths you went to have her in your driveway.I was young when I bought her, and my parents and friends were all shocked by my bringing home the car I researched and wanted to own. It's a YOLO feeling. We've seen F members give up their Fs, only to come back and get newer Fs. Owners just love the car, and rightfully so. It's rare. It's stunning. It's a head-turner. But for me, and most importantly, it's reliable. Being young, you'll end up learning from your mistakes or associating with those who've made mistakes to where you can bypass doing the same thing. That is what the F represents to me. Personally, I would not want to deal with the unreliable competition. Save yourself a lot of money and grief post warranty. Yes, this seems long, but very applicable when buying cars or anything really.

I agree with VtotheJ- while $10k is a solid down payment, the monthly payments thereafter will still be substantially high to where it can impact your finances. But that is certainly something you'll have to factor in before pulling the trigger on the car itself. It's good to hear that you've already been pre-quoted to see where you stand in terms of insurance for the F. Just gauge where you're at in life. But certainly get the car you want, presuming you can afford it. And as always, live within your means because the future you will need some moola to spend later on in life, too.

Best of luck, my friend, and certainly do what you feel is right for you and only you!
Old 03-02-13, 11:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

if you can afford it, why not. If you're okay with bringing your lunch to work, cup o noodles, selling text books, buy cheap book copies from china, student loans grants for school expenses, not going out every thurs thru sat every week etc... run the math. the numbers dont lie and only you yourself know your expenses and if everything looks good and if you're comfortable with the monthly payments, pull the trigger. interest rates are low depending on your credit. As long as you're not kicking yourself in the *** 1-2 months down the line, you cant return it.
Old 03-03-13, 01:54 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

if you can afford it and it makes you happy, go for it. you only live once. but 10k and ..semi ok credit, forget about it. id save up more and build your credit. ill be honest. im young, i put down a 20k cash downpayment on a 45k F, have a top teir credit score 720+, anything else, you will be raped for a interest rate for a used performance car. it would be smarter to buy a lesser of a car brand new. Low insurance rate is really what made me get the F. check on all of those things and if you can fit it in your lifestyle, go for it.
The following users liked this post:
spacexmase (04-13-18)
Old 03-03-13, 02:19 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

i had a buddy that was about the age of 24 and the insurance quote he had was pretty crazy only for 6months.....if your insurance wont be crazy and you can afford the car monthly..... why look back at 350s?! it will be a day and night difference between the regular IS and the F! monthly payments on the car will rape you most definitely... i paid mine in full so i dont have to worry about the banks raping me on interest rates
Old 03-03-13, 02:22 AM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vmatheboss
i had a buddy that was about the age of 24 and the insurance quote he had was pretty crazy only for 6months.....if your insurance wont be crazy and you can afford the car monthly..... why look back at 350s?! it will be a day and night difference between the regular IS and the F!
I was 24 when I got my ISF and my insurance isn't that bad considering my driving record
Old 03-03-13, 02:24 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

Originally Posted by ISFpat
I was 24 when I got my ISF and my insurance isn't that bad considering my driving record
i think now that you remind me, my buddies record wasnt really clean.... so he may of had a point or two...that could be why..i think 6 months he was looking at like 3k+ for insurance..and im not even sure if it was only liability lol
Old 03-03-13, 05:22 AM
lilcop17
Driver

I bought my F when i was 22 and im no where near rich. I pay like 400 a month which is the same price if i got some garbage american piece of crap. and insurance is 85 a month.
Old 03-03-13, 05:40 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Obviously there is no age restriction on owning an ISF. It all comes down to your priorities, finances, and personal situation.

PERSONALLY, I think a person should not spend more than 20% of their NET monthly income on a car payment, and that is at the very top end of things. Ideally you'd be more around 10% or under, but I understand being a young car guy who wants a cool car. I thought I was the man when I got my brand spanking new RSX-S when I was 24. If you've got the finances for it, go for it. If, like lilcop17 above, you can get the car + insurance for less than $500/month and you make decent money at your job, why not go for it? If you're looking at some crazy high monthly payment that's going to eat up half of your paycheck though, I say no way.
Old 03-03-13, 05:48 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go for it. If you can't afford it later on, just trade it in for a cheaper car. A used IS-F will probably only depreciate 5% a year at this point.

When I was a college student and my wife was a nurse, we LEASED a BRAND NEW ML500. It was stupid and dumb and financially stupid, but we sure enjoyed it!
Old 03-03-13, 06:55 AM
kesando
Rookie

Originally Posted by Snow
So just from the title I think you guys get the idea of what the thread will be about. So basically I fell in love with the brand Lexus about 2 years ago when I first saw a car in the distance going down the freeway at about 80 miles per hour. At far glance I thought it was an Audi (my favorite car brand at the time) because of the day light running LED. I was like that's a damn nice Audi up until it passed by me that I saw it was an IS250. Quickly that day after work I googled "IS250" and fell in the love with the body shape, headlights, reliability, and more. That's when I discovered this awesome website.

So moving on from my story; I've been lurking around these forums for almost 2 years. I finally signed up last year with this account, however I initially wanted the IS250 until people kept posting threads about how it feels like a grandma's car. They recommended other members to step straight into an IS350 because it's like day and night. Now I've been hunting for an IS350 for quite some time now also. Because I am picky, I want an IS350 with black interior which I'm sure some of you guys know that's extremely rare to find.

Now my hype has kind of died down about the IS350. When I drive (currently 1999 Accord) and see an ISF on the street, I freak out because it's such a rare car to encounter and I just immediately fall in love with it's aesthetics and what's under the hood (416 HP).

Now my main question is, do guys feel a 20 year old college student should be driving an ISF? I'm not rich, my family is not rich. I go to school full time, have a full time job, and volunteers on the weekend. My aunt has been wanting me to buy a car for quite some time now because my Accord is just out of date and being the only son that I am; they think I deserve a better car. I have no problem with owning a new car but I want something that I LOVE every time I step into it. I won't buy a car without doing prior research, I won't accept a different color other than SFP. I am a serious shopper, not a person shopping for underwear with the cheapest deals on colors like booger green. I am extremely picky sso therefore the car has to be SFP + Black Interior. Aside from that, how is the maintenance on the car compared to the IS350? My insurance company Geico quoted me around $900 for 6 months which is not bad considering they quoted me $850 for an IS350. So that's not much of a jump however I know it's a Lexus so I'm sure there will be zero problems but that maintenance is what is really getting at me. I'm prepared to do a 10k down payment and do monthly payments on my own. I cannot see myself driving another Honda, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Because they all suck in my opinion in terms of design and reliability.

Let me know your thoughts and inputs guys!

P.S. I currently work at T-Mobile so I can afford to do monthly payments for the car so that's no problem.
Wow, you and I are pretty similar in our taste and situation. The main difference is that I'm a bit older (28) have pretty good credit (around 750 and rising) and have a small mortage. I have a clean 1998 accord and an even older daily beater. While I could afford a number of different cars at this point, I really want a car like the ISF. I love Audis as well but they seem expensive for what you get and the maintainence is a turn off as well. I agree that 10k down is not enough on a car priced like the ISF. I plan on waiting for the next body style ISF to see if I like it
Old 03-03-13, 07:02 AM
thatnewguy
Driver

I didn't read everyone else's response, so apologies if this is a repeat. Being only 25 I'm not too far removed from your position. What I didn't realize while in college is how expensive life in general is. I had to pay for gas and my cell phone in school and not much else. Once you graduate you will likely want to live on your own.

Lets assume a $500 rent, you can still figure at least $7-800 a month after a cell, Internet, utilities, tv, and food. Not including the car payment and insurance. I only financed 20k on mine and that payment is still 320 a month plus my insirance. 10k is nice payment, but at your age you may not have enough credit to get a solid interest rate. Not saying you have bad credit, just saying you won't have much as far as credit history.

And lets not forget student loans. They are going to be there for a long time add another 300-1000 depending where you're going and how long you attend.

I'm all for buying an F, and welcome people openly, but make sure that you won't be forced to sell it in a year because you have to due to payments and life.

TL : DR or my quick summary: wait until you see how expensive things are after the lifeline to home is cut. Growing up sucks especially when you realize just how much you have to pay for just to get by.

Quick Reply: Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?