IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 07:05 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you can get it and you want it then do it
if u run in to trouble just sell it
excuse= im young and im allowed to make mistakes
doooooo it
The following users liked this post:
spacexmase (04-13-18)
Old 03-03-13, 08:48 AM
GriMan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every CL members gave you great advise. In my opinion, i think you should wait and see what you're financial situation is going to be after graduating in college. by this time, you will know what needs to be paid (i.e. rent, loan, etc...). We never know whats ahead of us. Assuming that you'll get a better job after graduating, you can re-assess about buying THE ISF. But this time around, you would have save more money for the down payment and build a better credit history over time. Stick with your accord till you grad. Im sure the accord can last up until then. Weight out your advantages and disadvantages about purchasing it. It will still come down to you. Good luck.
Old 03-03-13, 09:20 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes to ABOVE.

We all are passionate about cars and you are rightfully excited about a great car such as the ISF. However a car is still a car, it is not an investment, which to me means that it is not worth compromising yourself financially over.

I would establish and solidify my financial base first. That way, you will also enjoy your car experience even more knowing that your "Basics" are all taken care.
Old 03-03-13, 09:22 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kteng7
If you can afford it i don't see why not b/c ISF is worth it.
Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
dunno how you can afford rent, an is-f, insurance , bills on a tmobile part time college student salary.
Originally Posted by VtotheJ
Finish school, pay off all loans if you have them, then get the F. School loans are the worst to have. I bought my F at 23 after saving like a madman as soon as I started working. I had the option of purchasing a home vs. a vehicle in the middle of the recession... went with a car. Should have went with a home but I'm doing it in reverse. That's the sacrifice I had to make.

$10k down payment is not enough. Your monthly payments will be insane. No harm in waiting and putting down more so your monthly payments are less. Better to do 24/36/48 month loan since you'll also be paying less interest in the long run.

Only hardships are trying not to have an iron foot, and the attention the car gets
Originally Posted by bnizzle87
If you're financially stable, then age should not be a factor. Many people still believe that the youth are unable to handle high performance vehicle because of a lack of maturity. I see it as a growing point in one's life. When one says that he or she wants to own an IS F, new or used, he or she is already preparing for the cost of ownership and the responsibilities of owning a powerful vehicle. Honestly, at 20, I thought I was ready, and only I knew it was the right decision, even now after five years of ownership. I bought it fresh out of college with a stable job starting from my final year, and yes, it does change you. It makes you more responsible for things (car payments, gas, mods ) You'll have to have tough skin for those nay-sayers thinking that you're spoiled, that your parents paid for your sweet ride, that you drive a freakin $60k car. You'll even wonder at times if it's worth it because after all- it is just a car. Or is it?

Personally, I see my F as a trophy- something I wanted to attain. I earned and saved my way to ownership, which I'm still proud of to this day. I, too, was a full time student with a full-time job, but what really pushed me to get the car was re-evaluating my life. Yes, at 20,there really isn't too much to think about besides girls, more girls, and the occasional exam. I promised myself that if I was able to complete my degrees before the release of the IS F, then I would pull the trigger on one. But damn, was it hard! Overloading essentially my final three semesters, taking those dreaded winter and summer sessions for the sake of getting what I wanted. Was it a big sacrifice? Yes, but that's the point I want to send to young buyers. Make it a challenge. Don't just say "I want this car" and just get it. There's no fun there, IMO. Link it to a goal and have it as far-fetched as can be, even to the point where it might seem unattanaible at first. But when your self-setting goals are set and achieved and you're in a position to buy, pull that trigger and never look back because you'll realize the lengths you went to have her in your driveway.I was young when I bought her, and my parents and friends were all shocked by my bringing home the car I researched and wanted to own. It's a YOLO feeling. We've seen F members give up their Fs, only to come back and get newer Fs. Owners just love the car, and rightfully so. It's rare. It's stunning. It's a head-turner. But for me, and most importantly, it's reliable. Being young, you'll end up learning from your mistakes or associating with those who've made mistakes to where you can bypass doing the same thing. That is what the F represents to me. Personally, I would not want to deal with the unreliable competition. Save yourself a lot of money and grief post warranty. Yes, this seems long, but very applicable when buying cars or anything really.

I agree with VtotheJ- while $10k is a solid down payment, the monthly payments thereafter will still be substantially high to where it can impact your finances. But that is certainly something you'll have to factor in before pulling the trigger on the car itself. It's good to hear that you've already been pre-quoted to see where you stand in terms of insurance for the F. Just gauge where you're at in life. But certainly get the car you want, presuming you can afford it. And as always, live within your means because the future you will need some moola to spend later on in life, too.

Best of luck, my friend, and certainly do what you feel is right for you and only you!
Originally Posted by jadu
if you can afford it, why not. If you're okay with bringing your lunch to work, cup o noodles, selling text books, buy cheap book copies from china, student loans grants for school expenses, not going out every thurs thru sat every week etc... run the math. the numbers dont lie and only you yourself know your expenses and if everything looks good and if you're comfortable with the monthly payments, pull the trigger. interest rates are low depending on your credit. As long as you're not kicking yourself in the *** 1-2 months down the line, you cant return it.
Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
if you can afford it and it makes you happy, go for it. you only live once. but 10k and ..semi ok credit, forget about it. id save up more and build your credit. ill be honest. im young, i put down a 20k cash downpayment on a 45k F, have a top teir credit score 720+, anything else, you will be raped for a interest rate for a used performance car. it would be smarter to buy a lesser of a car brand new. Low insurance rate is really what made me get the F. check on all of those things and if you can fit it in your lifestyle, go for it.
Originally Posted by vmatheboss
i had a buddy that was about the age of 24 and the insurance quote he had was pretty crazy only for 6months.....if your insurance wont be crazy and you can afford the car monthly..... why look back at 350s?! it will be a day and night difference between the regular IS and the F! monthly payments on the car will rape you most definitely... i paid mine in full so i dont have to worry about the banks raping me on interest rates
Originally Posted by ISFpat
I was 24 when I got my ISF and my insurance isn't that bad considering my driving record
Originally Posted by vmatheboss
i think now that you remind me, my buddies record wasnt really clean.... so he may of had a point or two...that could be why..i think 6 months he was looking at like 3k+ for insurance..and im not even sure if it was only liability lol
Originally Posted by lilcop17
I bought my F when i was 22 and im no where near rich. I pay like 400 a month which is the same price if i got some garbage american piece of crap. and insurance is 85 a month.
Originally Posted by vbb
Obviously there is no age restriction on owning an ISF. It all comes down to your priorities, finances, and personal situation.

PERSONALLY, I think a person should not spend more than 20% of their NET monthly income on a car payment, and that is at the very top end of things. Ideally you'd be more around 10% or under, but I understand being a young car guy who wants a cool car. I thought I was the man when I got my brand spanking new RSX-S when I was 24. If you've got the finances for it, go for it. If, like lilcop17 above, you can get the car + insurance for less than $500/month and you make decent money at your job, why not go for it? If you're looking at some crazy high monthly payment that's going to eat up half of your paycheck though, I say no way.
Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Just go for it. If you can't afford it later on, just trade it in for a cheaper car. A used IS-F will probably only depreciate 5% a year at this point.

When I was a college student and my wife was a nurse, we LEASED a BRAND NEW ML500. It was stupid and dumb and financially stupid, but we sure enjoyed it!
Originally Posted by kesando
Wow, you and I are pretty similar in our taste and situation. The main difference is that I'm a bit older (28) have pretty good credit (around 750 and rising) and have a small mortage. I have a clean 1998 accord and an even older daily beater. While I could afford a number of different cars at this point, I really want a car like the ISF. I love Audis as well but they seem expensive for what you get and the maintainence is a turn off as well. I agree that 10k down is not enough on a car priced like the ISF. I plan on waiting for the next body style ISF to see if I like it
Originally Posted by thatnewguy
I didn't read everyone else's response, so apologies if this is a repeat. Being only 25 I'm not too far removed from your position. What I didn't realize while in college is how expensive life in general is. I had to pay for gas and my cell phone in school and not much else. Once you graduate you will likely want to live on your own.

Lets assume a $500 rent, you can still figure at least $7-800 a month after a cell, Internet, utilities, tv, and food. Not including the car payment and insurance. I only financed 20k on mine and that payment is still 320 a month plus my insirance. 10k is nice payment, but at your age you may not have enough credit to get a solid interest rate. Not saying you have bad credit, just saying you won't have much as far as credit history.

And lets not forget student loans. They are going to be there for a long time add another 300-1000 depending where you're going and how long you attend.

I'm all for buying an F, and welcome people openly, but make sure that you won't be forced to sell it in a year because you have to due to payments and life.

TL : DR or my quick summary: wait until you see how expensive things are after the lifeline to home is cut. Growing up sucks especially when you realize just how much you have to pay for just to get by.
Originally Posted by hahahaf
if you can get it and you want it then do it
if u run in to trouble just sell it
excuse= im young and im allowed to make mistakes
doooooo it
Originally Posted by GriMan
Every CL members gave you great advise. In my opinion, i think you should wait and see what you're financial situation is going to be after graduating in college. by this time, you will know what needs to be paid (i.e. rent, loan, etc...). We never know whats ahead of us. Assuming that you'll get a better job after graduating, you can re-assess about buying THE ISF. But this time around, you would have save more money for the down payment and build a better credit history over time. Stick with your accord till you grad. Im sure the accord can last up until then. Weight out your advantages and disadvantages about purchasing it. It will still come down to you. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Autobacs
Yes to ABOVE.

We all are passionate about cars and you are rightfully excited about a great car such as the ISF. However a car is still a car, it is not an investment, which to me means that it is not worth compromising yourself financially over.

I would establish and solidify my financial base first. That way, you will also enjoy your car experience even more knowing that your "Basics" are all taken care.

These are all solid responses but I forgot to leave out a few important details. First I wanted to say that I want a 2008 SFP ISF which goes for around 35k now minus the 10k down payment so I think I can work with 25k for monthly payments. Second, I'm getting financial aid grants right now so government pays for my school (I don't know if that will continue if I get an ISF). Third, I'm not going to be moving out any time soon, I'm actually the owner of the house right now because my parents are old (65 and 75) so they don't know how to pay the bills much less read English. So I'm already helping them out with the bill paying around $500 for rent each month and of course I pay for the cellphone bill. My brother also pitches in for the mortgage too so after my net of about $2.5k give or take for that month, I'll be looking around ~1.9k left for personal spending or car payments. Of course I also want a house right now and if I could buy a house right now I would. It's just my parents are kind of against it because they say I need a car right now versus a house. They say that can wait until you're older to invest; basically I wanted to buy a town house and put it out for rent which in my opinion beats a car because it makes you money whereas a car just sits there and looks nice. Overall, I do have decent credit; my score is currently 720 which is pretty okay considering I only started building it last year.

I don't know if this post will alter any of you guys decisions but I'm still iffy on the whole F car just because I know I can be financially stable but there are also a number of people who looks out for me and says that you're not ready it.

In my mind, I rather drive a beat up car or drive a super nice car. I don't do in "betweens" just because I rather have something I LOVE then semi-like and end up hating it every time I drive it.
I also placed kind of a personal goal on myself, I told myself if I ever got this job then I would step up to an ISF just because last year I got a job as a cashier for 8 months. That job sucked and paid me like $600 a month, then I moved over to my friend's restaurant where I was make 1.2k a month and now I recently upgraded to my current job at T-Mobile. Again I don't know which was why I seek for you guys personal advices. :P

Last edited by F Monster; 03-03-13 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-03-13, 09:53 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Originally Posted by Snow
These are all solid responses but I forgot to leave out a few important details. First I wanted to say that I want a 2008 SFP ISF which goes for around 35k now minus the 10k down payment so I think I can work with 25k for monthly payments. Second, I'm getting financial aid grants right now so government pays for my school (I don't know if that will continue if I get an ISF). Third, I'm not going to be moving out any time soon, I'm actually the owner of the house right now because my parents are old (65 and 75) so they don't know how to pay the bills much less read English. So I'm already helping them out with the bill paying around $500 for rent each month and of course I pay for the cellphone bill. My brother also pitches in for the mortgage too so after my net of about $2.5k give or take for that month, I'll be looking around ~1.9k left for personal spending or car payments. Of course I also want a house right now and if I could buy a house right now I would. It's just my parents are kind of against it because they say I need a car right now versus a house. They say that can wait until you're older to invest; basically I wanted to buy a town house and put it out for rent which in my opinion beats a car because it makes you money whereas a car just sits there and looks nice. Overall, I do have decent credit; my score is currently 720 which is pretty okay considering I only started building it last year.

I don't know if this post will alter any of you guys decisions but I'm still iffy on the whole F car just because I know I can be financially stable but there are also a number of people who looks out for me and says that you're not ready it.

In my mind, I rather drive a beat up car or drive a super nice car. I don't do in "betweens" just because I rather have something I LOVE then semi-like and end up hating it every time I drive it.
I also placed kind of a personal goal on myself, I told myself if I ever got this job then I would step up to an ISF just because last year I got a job as a cashier for 8 months. That job sucked and paid me like $600 a month, then I moved over to my friend's restaurant where I was make 1.2k a month and now I recently upgraded to my current job at T-Mobile. Again I don't know which was why I seek you guys personal advices. :P
i was making 1200 a mo with little bills like cell phone and credit cards but i still had enough money to buy **** i dont need. if ur skeptical about it try pretending you have one and just do a financial plan for a month and see how that works out. but im tellin ya once u get it your going to say " i wish i done that a long time ago" lol
Old 03-03-13, 09:56 AM
thatnewguy
Driver

After reading that, although you technically split rent and other bills, it seems that situation is potentially volatile. Before making a purchase of this nature make sure that if EVERYTHING goes to crap, you can still afford to pay it all.

Put it on paper and see if your brother bails and you lose all of your grants/aid if you can still afford it. I would wait until you were established on your own, but that's just an opinion and you're sure to get plenty here
Old 03-03-13, 10:24 AM
GriMan
Pole Position

^^^ agreed. Always prepare for the worst as far as finances goes. Thats one thing I learned growing up. Also, you gotta have emergency funds just in case things go wrong.
Old 03-03-13, 10:41 AM
Franch1se
Rookie

ugh my first response didn't post. but in case it wasn't mentioned yet, I only skimmed other posts since I'm at work, maintenance on a performance vehicle like the F is significantly more than "regular" cars. Parts like tires and brakes cost more and need to be replaced more frequently. You have to pay to play. Worth it though if you can afford it. I love my baby.
Old 03-03-13, 10:43 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can afford it, go for it. It will make you happy Everytime you see it or drive it. As for being 20, just prepare for the comments like your daddy bought it for you and the jealousy of other kids. There are new GXs, M3s and at least 1 ISF at my college. Go for it
Old 03-03-13, 10:58 AM
Franch1se
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusNN
If you can afford it, go for it. It will make you happy Everytime you see it or drive it. As for being 20, just prepare for the comments like your daddy bought it for you and the jealousy of other kids. There are new GXs, M3s and at least 1 ISF at my college. Go for it
What school is that? If it was an MM at ECPI last year it was me. Took a few certs.
Old 03-03-13, 11:05 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

IF you can afford it I say go for it. One thing I normally recommend to people looking to make this type of decision is to make the "payment" into a savings account for 4-6 months just to see how it impacts your monthly finances.
Old 03-03-13, 11:17 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lilcop17
I bought my F when i was 22 and im no where near rich. I pay like 400 a month which is the same price if i got some garbage american piece of crap. and insurance is 85 a month.
lol +1

i remember when i was 18, i bought my 350z. the car was priced at 26k, i had little credit, my rate was 19%. my insurance was 387 a month until i turned 21 which it went down to 160 a month. that 26k 350z with payment and insurance was so much more than the F now. but the thing is i wouldn't change my decision if i can take back time because it was what i wanted and i made it happen. to most, car payments is never smart but then again, most people are not into cars like the people on these forums.
Old 03-03-13, 11:19 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

I must admit, when I saw the thread title, all I could think was:

(I had a 92 SC400 when I was 19 and in college... but the scale is different. The car was 10 years old and was only 13K in mint condition.... an IS-F is still a 30,000 car at this point.)
Attached Thumbnails Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?-mcbragg.jpg  
Old 03-03-13, 11:56 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Franch1se
ugh my first response didn't post. but in case it wasn't mentioned yet, I only skimmed other posts since I'm at work, maintenance on a performance vehicle like the F is significantly more than "regular" cars. Parts like tires and brakes cost more and need to be replaced more frequently. You have to pay to play. Worth it though if you can afford it. I love my baby.
Hahaha, I'm at work too. I love my current job, just standing around browsing CL and waiting for customers to come in. You can see why I love the ISF and CL now. I'm always on here.
Old 03-03-13, 12:09 PM
willys4
Rookie

as long as u've go the cash and financially stable, get it! you only live once!

Quick Reply: Any hardship of owning an ISF when you're 20?