PPE Header Issue Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 06:32 PM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Default PPE Header Issue Discussion

Hey everyone,

I just ordered set of PPE headers from Figs this week, and I started doing some more in depth research into some of the problems people on here have been having. One thing I have noticed however, is a number of threads that don't seem to ever get updated with solutions to the original stated problem.

I know a majority of problems seem to revolve around the O2 conditioner, or the wiring thereof, and the upstream O2 sensors. I notice though a lot of people were seemingly getting CELs, having them reset, only to have them come back again. Is this commonplace? Those that have had issues with CELs, were you able to get them fixed and not return?

I guess I am looking for some piece of mind in that what I purchased and plan on installing shortly, will work like I want it to. I know there are many other new PPE owners coming on through Figs PPE sale, I am sure they would appreciate the info as well.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies!

Kevin
Old 03-01-13, 06:57 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O2 conditioners pop the cel If they're not installed correctly. The steering shaft would touch the original set. Work with Paul at PPE. He's a super guy. Customer service #1

I've got the recent build. No need for modded dip stick tube. Perfect.

~Dv8
Old 03-01-13, 09:04 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine will FINALLY be going in on March 23rd since receiving them in January. Paul said the instruction are correct now as far as the wiring goes. I'm hoping we'll be problem free.
Old 03-01-13, 09:23 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

cant wait until mine come in. should be any day now.

is the entire wiring on the conditioner done under the engine bay? i called PPE but they were busy the past couple of times but they were nice polite guys.

i think im just going to install these myself. the instruction looks easy and after dropping the subframe, looks like a breeze.
Old 03-01-13, 09:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
I know a majority of problems seem to revolve around the O2 conditioner, or the wiring thereof, and the upstream O2 sensors. I notice though a lot of people were seemingly getting CELs, having them reset, only to have them come back again.

Kevin
If the wiring is done properly you should have no issues.

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
is the entire wiring on the conditioner done under the engine bay?
Yes, it's all installed from under the hood, and once installed you wouldn't know it's there unless you were looking for it, AND knew what you were looking for. It's pretty stealth

Lou
Old 03-02-13, 01:23 AM
crazee201
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had no issues with my PPE headers. A few other member had their installed with no issues at all. But it's mostly wiring issue and best to use new o2 sensors!
Old 03-02-13, 02:55 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wiring issue for me but was fixed quick after the Tech figured it all out. Ive been happy since
Old 03-02-13, 03:15 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

wait why do you have to mess with wiring for a header?
Old 03-02-13, 03:45 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
wait why do you have to mess with wiring for a header?
They mention it on post #2. You have to wire up the o2 sim/conditioner or else you will get a CEL, which sucks

Last edited by aWorkOfArt; 03-02-13 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-02-13, 04:12 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

The electrical conection its not that hard , read the instructions first and if you have any doubts on wiring colors call them up their custmer service is far from none, i got a cel after installation we scaned the ecu and the problem was on the primary o2 sensors wich they have nothing to do w the conditioner, the conditioner is only for the secondary o2 sensors this are the ones that sense the absence of the cat converter on the header the primaries are for the air ratio and they from factory come before the first cats wich are removed w the headers , but i recomend you buy a set of o2 sensors because they are brittle and during removal they tend to get damaged dont buy them at the dealer too expensive they are made by denso and if you look them up you will find them cheap the primary o2 denso part # is 234-9048 you can find them in amazon for arround $75 to $115 vs dealer price $235 pluss for the same thing the secondaries if you get them out find your in good luck bit if you strip them the denso part no is 234-4521 i think this is al you will extra need for your installation trouble free, the instructions sucks at least on mine wich was the old style that had to replace the dip stick and the part is a pain in the butt other than that the conditioner installation is simple once you know what to do and the plugs you need to interface, the mechanical installation if you are very mechanically oriented and have acces to a lift and some jacks you can doit in arround 6 to 8 hrs , i did mine in 10 hrs because i spended two hours trying to figure out the dip stick story and 1 hr trying to figure out the instructions, what i did is that i downloaded the instructions from sikky and the ones on the ppe kit use them both and then got the whole picture , but both instruction set sucks sikkys is slighly better
Old 03-02-13, 06:43 AM
vmatheboss
Driver

You just purchased your headers or you got them used? isn't the new ppe dipstick relocated ?

Originally Posted by KOKISF
The electrical conection its not that hard , read the instructions first and if you
have any doubts on wiring colors call them up their custmer service is far from none, i got a cel after installation we scaned the ecu and the problem was on the primary o2 sensors wich they have nothing to do w the conditioner, the conditioner is only for the secondary o2 sensors this are the ones that sense the absence of the cat converter on the header the primaries are for the air ratio and they from factory come before the first cats wich are removed w the headers , but i recomend you buy a set of o2 sensors because they are brittle and during removal they tend to get damaged dont buy them at the dealer too expensive they are made by denso and if you look them up you will find them cheap the primary o2 denso part # is 234-9048 you can find them in amazon for arround $75 to $115 vs dealer price $235 pluss for the same thing the secondaries if you get them out find your in good luck bit if you strip them the denso part no is 234-4521 i think this is al you will extra need for your installation trouble free, the instructions sucks at least on mine wich was the old style that had to replace the dip stick and the part is a pain in the butt other than that the conditioner installation is simple once you know what to do and the plugs you need to interface, the mechanical installation if you are very mechanically oriented and have acces to a lift and some jacks you can doit in arround 6 to 8 hrs , i did mine in 10 hrs because i spended two hours trying to figure out the dip stick story and 1 hr trying to figure out the instructions, what i did is that i downloaded the instructions from sikky and the ones on the ppe kit use them both and then got the whole picture , but both instruction set sucks sikkys is slighly better
Old 03-02-13, 07:35 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 percent of people with PPE header problems either screwed up an O2 sensor or installed the O2 simulator incorrectly. That was pretty easy to do seeing as the original wiring instructions that came with the headers were wrong. That was corrected some time ago. I payed 1000 bucks to have my headers installed but they were done right the first time with no CEL's at all. You screw up one sensor and your out 200 bucks so I just dont understand why people insist on these 5-6 hundred dollar header jobs. You get what you pay for.. Im sure 150 bucks of that went to installing the original (ridiculous) dip stick...
Old 03-03-13, 04:39 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

My headers where brand new but i bought them at a reasonable price to a guy here in pr that bought them when they first came out and never install them , the new ones dont need to deal w the dip stick, those did!!!

No matter what you pay on the installation the issue of the o2 sensor going bad after removal is a matter of luck they are just too brittle...

Last edited by KOKISF; 03-03-13 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-03-13, 06:18 AM
KOKISF
Lead Lap

$800 to $1000 is about right what a reputable shop should charge you for the installation other than that its a rip off and trust me even thought paying that amount of money for the installation does not assure you , your o2 will survive the removal and installation
Old 03-03-13, 11:28 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

buying two new o2 air fuel sensors is such cheap insurance, i dont know why it should bother a lot of you. even if you can take off your old ones, why not just put new ones in for assurance down the road for even longer reliability? advance auto now sells denso sensors and with their online discounts, they are like 140 a piece.

Quick Reply: PPE Header Issue Discussion