IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 ISF starter/grounding/ipod issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 02:00 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 ISF starter/grounding/ipod issues?

2/22 UPDATE: After 5 days of not using my iPod at all and simply playing audio CD's/MP3 discs, this issue hasn't occurred. Will be checking headunit wiring this weekend.

I've been troubleshooting an issue with starting my car the last couple weeks. 2008 ISF, 65k miles. I have the stock ML headunit, Vaistech SL2VI ipod kit, and BeatSonic nav/dvd bypass. I had my battery replaced about 2 months ago and it's still fine. The ipod kit is the last thing I've installed.

It's feeling like an issue with the starter, but maybe it's a grounding issue?

Basically I put my foot on the brake, the starter button turns green, I press the button, and I hear a single click, the gauges sweep, but the car doesn't start or even make a noise. I can faintly hear some other whirs and such but they're all very quiet.

I can then repeat that procedure and it will start right up the next time. Or it may not start a second time, and then it will the third time. It's random but will eventually always start.

Only once did it take 4-5 tries before it started up, and that time the car had trouble turning over (but did) and threw a CEL. But unfortunatlely the CEL cleared itself by the time I got home so I was unable to scan it to get the code(s).

It doesn't seem to matter if it's cold or warm starts, based on fuel, etc.. I tried quick button presses and slow ones (quick seems to be preferred by the car).

I started thinking it may be the iPod (Vaistech sl2vi) and/or radar detector I leave plugged in all the time. So I started to unplug both when parked and then only plug them in once the car is running.

That seemed to help a bit but not resolve the issue by any means.

Next I stopped using my radar detector and iPod altogether and just used the CD/DVD changer to listen to discs for a few days. In 3 days I haven't had the issue!

So my (long-winded) question is...could this be my iPod sucking from the battery overnight or while the car is off? Or is it maybe a ground that came loose? Would that be something that could drain the battery such that it can't kick on the starter? But then the act of trying to start the car recharges it?

Any thoughts on what I'm seeing here? I plan on checking out the headunit this weekend to see if the ground or something came loose but wanted to see if anyone had other ideas before I have to carpool to work and leave this at a dealer to diagnose.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by anxiouz; 02-22-13 at 04:08 PM. Reason: update situation
Old 02-21-13, 03:48 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same symptoms a few months ago as well. Sometimes, it would sweep half way and stop and then start up the next time I pressed the button. One day, the car wouldn't start although the sweep was happening. It turned out to be an issue with the battery. I replaced it with a new one and all issues were resolved.
Old 02-21-13, 03:52 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Hmm. I bought the battery at a local shop since it included a 3-year full-coverage warranty so I'll swing by there to have them double-check that I don't have an issue with it. I have a battery recharge unit that has a level checker (from when I had a lightweight snowmobile battery in my Evo) which is what I'm basing my "the battery is ok" comments.

I appreciate the response.
Old 02-22-13, 03:19 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Just an update. After 5 days of not using the iPod kit, this issue has not reoccurred. Will take a look at the headunit and cables tomorrow.