IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Paddles vs. Shift Lever in sport mode...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 11:59 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i use both but enjoy using the paddles a bit more. what sucks is going back and forth from this and the bmw. the bmw lever pushed down down is up shift and lexus pushed down is down shift. sometimes i get mixed up.
Old 02-20-13, 05:10 AM
M3EATR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a mix of both, I still have not figured out what i like most... Coming from a manual trans 350z my hand goes to the shifter as a habit so I find myself using the shifter more than the paddles but I think it accelerates the same way in M mode wether you use shifter or paddles
Old 02-20-13, 07:16 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

+ 1
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't understand why anyone would want to take hands off the wheel when there are paddles to ensure you do not need to do this. Even with the car loose in mid-corner, you can shift with confidence the car won't get upset when using the paddles.
Paddles or full auto and this from someone that has had only manual cars for 20yrs up until my ISx50 and ISF.
Old 02-20-13, 07:59 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

When making lower speed LH or RH turns at a street light/sign I use the shift lever for the 1-2 shift, however any other time I use the paddles.
Old 02-20-13, 08:45 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Paddles. I can't remember ever using the lever for shifting while driving.
Old 02-20-13, 09:57 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i use both but enjoy using the paddles a bit more. what sucks is going back and forth from this and the bmw. the bmw lever pushed down down is up shift and lexus pushed down is down shift. sometimes i get mixed up.
There's a relatively simple DIY to reverse the shifting logic in the F, which applies to any other 2IS model.

Our own lobuxracer has a nice write up complete with pics.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=229801&page=2

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-20-13 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-20-13, 10:52 AM
Murajitul
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always use paddles....you need both hands on the wheels to have full control whenever you need to and like someone said earlier, you really shouldn't let go any hand while doing 1/4 mile....
Old 02-20-13, 06:10 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

It's great that all of you have given me your preferences on what you use, but that wasn't my question. Does one way shift faster than the other electronically? Maybe rephrasing that helps. The tranny shifts faster in sport mode than in normal mode. I'm assuming the shift lever AND the paddles shift at the same speed, but was asking if anyone knew for sure.

And yes, I use the paddles when getting with it....I was referring to normal everyday driving. I'm used to a manual, so my hand is usually already there. I guess Lobux never drove a manual around a track and had to take a hand off to shift? Wouldn't this be the same?

Anyway, back to the question.
Old 02-20-13, 06:28 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for using both
Old 02-20-13, 08:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
It's great that all of you have given me your preferences on what you use, but that wasn't my question. Does one way shift faster than the other electronically? Maybe rephrasing that helps. The tranny shifts faster in sport mode than in normal mode. I'm assuming the shift lever AND the paddles shift at the same speed, but was asking if anyone knew for sure.

And yes, I use the paddles when getting with it....I was referring to normal everyday driving. I'm used to a manual, so my hand is usually already there. I guess Lobux never drove a manual around a track and had to take a hand off to shift? Wouldn't this be the same?

Anyway, back to the question.
I drove manuals exclusively for more than 30 years. It's not the same. There are things you can do with the F you could never do in a manual.

There is no difference in shift speed between the stick and the paddles. Both are just switches. But it is not possible to take your hand off the wheel, move the stick, shift gears, and get your hand back on the wheel as quickly as you can use the paddles. So, technologically, they're identical, but practically (all things considered), the paddles are much faster.
Old 02-23-13, 03:36 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the shift **** if I want to change gears during turns, that way I can maintain control of the steering wheel with my left hand and shift with my right hands.

If I decided to blow someone way, I use the paddle shifters and put it in sport mode if it's a car that may give me problems.

Funny, those E46 M3's don't really try anything against me in stop lights. They used to embarrass my old Honda, but those days are now over. If anything, it's the 335i guys that always seem to try to initiate something. (only to get nailed by a laser gun, since they don't run any ECM and are absolutely clueless)

Old 02-24-13, 06:17 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boostftw
I use the paddles most of the time, I actually forgot that you can shift with the lever
I only use the paddles and would never miss the lever.
Old 02-24-13, 10:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
I use the shift **** if I want to change gears during turns, that way I can maintain control of the steering wheel with my left hand and shift with my right hands...
This is contrary to every driving school I have attended and every book I've read on driving fast. BOTH hands should be on the wheel in any turn, even if you are shuffle steering. One hand does not provide sufficient feedback or control.
Old 02-24-13, 11:40 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Boma
There's a relatively simple DIY to reverse the shifting logic in the F, which applies to any other 2IS model.

Our own lobuxracer has a nice write up complete with pics.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=229801&page=2
that's awesome. thanks for that link. i know some companies that charge a butt load for just a little harness that does the same thing.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is contrary to every driving school I have attended and every book I've read on driving fast. BOTH hands should be on the wheel in any turn, even if you are shuffle steering. One hand does not provide sufficient feedback or control.
if im making hard left turns or u turns with moderate speed, how am i suppose to shift with the paddle? i think that's what 2urgse was talking about. i would be in a high RPM just to finish the turn , let the steering wheel straighten out then shift which i rather just use the shift ****.
Old 02-25-13, 06:57 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I agree with Lobux to an extent. In the GT-R you can't shift with the lever...only the paddles. That being said, those paddles are 3 times the size and you have no problems using them no matter how hard you're turning. The paddles in the F aren't exactly user friendly while turning.

Edit: Can't shift with lever in GT-R

Last edited by PhiDeltBee; 02-25-13 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Paddles vs. Shift Lever in sport mode...