IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Losing coolant ever so slightly.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 02:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^^ as much as I dont want any drama, I would like the issue to be resolved and if they can kill two birds with one stone Im happy to do it. Just want to warn the tech about the harness cover and to be careful around the injectors
Old 07-23-15, 05:55 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So, long story short my car has been at the dealer for over a week (no problem here as long as vehicle is fixed properly and care is taken). Lexus North America has been doing a great job except after talking to my agent that is handling the case and after expressing my concern this leak due to the O-rings from the coolant transfer tube, and not seeming relevant to year nor mileage, she stated many out of the book statements not really any information to help me. Then she did document everything I had to say. Unfortunately, my car is out of warranty and after again I expressed the oring issue which is a similar issue to the ELF recall she said my car is out of warranty and Lexus is not entitled of coarse to be financially obligated to fix. Second, that Lexus helping is not directly related to mileage nor year but to loyalty(A paraphrased statement from her). And that because I did not service at the dealer that I had low loyalty (Even though I have purchased 2 other is250s) that pretty much there may be nothing they could do. Also she stated after I told her of the issue she was not familiar with motors nor what I was talking about and re-stated I had no warranty.. Sad to say the person working my claim has ZERO knowledge as she clearly stated and as I was direct very polite she continually interrupted me becoming greatly apprehensive, and I had to a couple of times ask her if I may complete my full stated in regard to the question she presented for her not to interrupt. Also she stated any information I have from the internet or even personal case would not be used because it cannot be validated even though we have clear pictures of evidence. She was very unresponsive to any documentation or evidence. As an engineer in industrial and oil applications I am very worried because if Lexus North America Customer Service has agents that are unwilling to document such concern we will never gain fixes to such problem until major failures occur. All in all sounds like they are trying to remove all liability which I guess they can do but from an professional aspect of the matter it is very lackadaisical and unprofessional but that's just my two scents. I explained at the end of the day I wanted what is fair what ever that is deemed to be, but overall want some "justice" in the matter to help all other owners. so, Monday I will know the verdict two weeks later.

Lastly those that had Lexus do the work what has it cost when you have found out during the recall? As they have done part of the work to disassemble the top portion of the motor.

Last edited by StealthFF; 07-23-15 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-23-15, 10:33 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well verdict is Lexus is not covering any of coolant loss repairs, which technically contractually they don't have to so I get it, but there obviously is a significant problem. This if we see as owners we need to talk to Lexus north America to document so they can trend this information without it we are at the odds. Thank the lord my dealer is working with me only charging 2.5 hours and parts.
Old 07-23-15, 02:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

^^ The Factory cover us under a 4 year 50k miles or 6 year 70k miles for powertrain..

Long story short, if you want to be covered after the warranty time period, buy an extended warranty..

It comes in handy... As a matter of fact I just got an entire new guage cluster under extended warranty..

It really pays for itself after a few things start going after warranty is up..

~ Joe Z
Old 10-11-15, 09:39 AM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed my temperature gauge rapidly going up to the red area then shortly after coming back down to the middle (normal area). I then decided to look at the coolant levels and noticed that it was below the low line so I went out to buy some more to top off. Upon doing so, the coolant started leaking from under the reservoir. Is there a plug that may be disconnected or is it possible the reservoir tank may be cracked?
Old 10-11-15, 03:53 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSiCkF
Over the past few weeks, I have noticed my temperature gauge rapidly going up to the red area then shortly after coming back down to the middle (normal area). I then decided to look at the coolant levels and noticed that it was below the low line so I went out to buy some more to top off. Upon doing so, the coolant started leaking from under the reservoir. Is there a plug that may be disconnected or is it possible the reservoir tank may be cracked?
My radiator was cleaned out the last time I had service done on the car. The tech flushed the coolant fluid and refilled it. When I picked up the car I did an inspection and found the coolant level sitting in the low line. I told them to top it off, he did and I verified it as well. He also mentioned the level will come down below full when car is cold and rise to full when car is warm. A few days later I verified what he said. One morning I popped the hood and long behold it was sitting in the low line again, I turned the car on and it came up to full. I didn't see any signs of leaks, I've read it tends to hide inside the manifold valley. If you're definitely seeing it leak out, you probably do have a crack. I've also read that there is an overflow line that drains the excess but it creates a mess where you can't really see it. You mentioned you can visually see it coming out. You might have to get it looked at.

Last edited by SoulFreak; 10-11-15 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 06:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am pretty sure I have a mild leak because I have to add a few mls of distilled water every few months. I always check it when its cold and it will clearly be lower than when I topped it off in the past when it was as cold . Annoying but they still have to do my recall work . I am assuming they will see it. I keep telling them to hold off.
Old 10-13-15, 12:18 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So I'll comment on this since it's been over a year that I did the repair.

I have not touched my coolant since my repair back in new years 2014, it's stayed full and my repair was successful. This was 100% my case of the problem.I'd also like to say, for the people requesting parts/part numbers use this web site.

toyodyi.com register there and you can see pictures and prices of what the parts should cost. I haven't had a single problem with my car since that repair @75k miles I'm now at 105k.

Again, as I said, the plastics get very brittle, if you do the repair your self, be VERY careful on the injectors/clips. As I said you are better off crushing the clips with a pair of pliers and repin new housings vs snapping off the injector neck which is made form ABS but breaks very easily because of the heat cycles.

Last edited by zazzn; 12-17-15 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-13-15, 08:55 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car is currently at Lexus for this identical coolant leak. However, the tech pulled both injector rails and broke 1 injector in the process. When he was reassembling he managed to break another injector. He is now concerned about the remaining injectors having been fractured and not instantly problematic. So he is recommending I replace all of them. I understand this and the idea of preventative measures but I also a little upset about the situation.

Do you think this is a good idea and/or advice?
Old 10-13-15, 11:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kauaian
My car is currently at Lexus for this identical coolant leak. However, the tech pulled both injector rails and broke 1 injector in the process. When he was reassembling he managed to break another injector. He is now concerned about the remaining injectors having been fractured and not instantly problematic. So he is recommending I replace all of them. I understand this and the idea of preventative measures but I also a little upset about the situation.

Do you think this is a good idea and/or advice?
Thats insane !!! Thius is why I keep holding off. Those injectors are pricey !!
Old 12-14-15, 02:34 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I just bought my car luckily it had warranty, figured out mine has the same problem. Coolant stays at the low mark and upon refilling to the high mark it will leak out 1/4" a day and after it reaches the low mark it wont go any lower for some reason. Raised the vehicle and checked the passanger/driver side and sure enough there is a fresh leak there. At First I thought the radiator was leaking, but it seems its leaking from the overflow?

At least now I know what the probable cause of leak is and know what to look for when I get my car back.

The car had heat working and never went above the middle line drove it far too so apparently it couldve gone that way for awhile, but I still wanted it fixed.

Car is a 2012 with 60k on the clock btw.

This is a very informational thread.

Last edited by k20trick; 12-14-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-14-15, 06:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ Bummer.. What exact area are we looking at here ???

~ Joe Z
Old 12-14-15, 08:07 PM
k20trick
Instructor

It looks like its leaking under the intake manifold and drifting towards the back both driver and passenger side where the transmission mates to the engine as the car is moving. Dealer told me it was covered under warranty and they'll be replacing the coolant valley plate so I will know the full story tomorrow on what exactly is being replaced.

To me, I'm happy they are taking care of the situation. The only real bummer is the torture from driving this is-turbo loaner (you get to really appreciate the F) and the possibility of them revving my engine like crazy. I know those techs were eyeballing my car like knowing what they were getting their hands on. I have a buddy that works as a tech at Lexus and he would bring home cars each day beating the **** out of them telling me he was testing them making sure the work was done properly. That's the dealership I avoided...
Old 12-15-15, 09:23 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
It looks like its leaking under the intake manifold and drifting towards the back both driver and passenger side where the transmission mates to the engine as the car is moving. Dealer told me it was covered under warranty and they'll be replacing the coolant valley plate so I will know the full story tomorrow on what exactly is being replaced.

To me, I'm happy they are taking care of the situation. The only real bummer is the torture from driving this is-turbo loaner (you get to really appreciate the F) and the possibility of them revving my engine like crazy. I know those techs were eyeballing my car like knowing what they were getting their hands on. I have a buddy that works as a tech at Lexus and he would bring home cars each day beating the **** out of them telling me he was testing them making sure the work was done properly. That's the dealership I avoided...
They will probably not replace the valley plate, as the Dealer book repair is to reapply silicone. I was told the same thing...then Lexus instructed to just re and re the silcone sealant.

Digger08
Old 12-15-15, 06:01 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by digger08
They will probably not replace the valley plate, as the Dealer book repair is to reapply silicone. I was told the same thing...then Lexus instructed to just re and re the silcone sealant.

Digger08
You Sir are correct!

Got the call from the SA today and they are re-siliconing the plate with the new gasket. Is there anything to look for when picking the car up? They should be replacing anything else thats serviceable when removing the intake manifold, i.e. intake manifold gasket people were talking about broken injector clips etc? It took 3 days and the SA told me this was not a small job.

Quick Reply: Losing coolant ever so slightly.