Losing coolant ever so slightly.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 10:18 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They used the wrong FIPG if it was only $14. It is supposed to be p/n 08826-00100. It runs about $85 a tube. it's also called Threebond 1282B.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The Threebond is called out specifically in the factory service manual. Better is all relative.
Agreed..

The 08826-00100 Threebond or "Equivalent " seems to be very specific to Long Life Fluid / Super Long Life Fluid.

In my case I can't seem to think it would be a matter of cheaper cost, since they had the warranty on tap.

They used 00295-00103 which seems to be a superseded # to various Toyota FIPG older numbers.. Which also includes a Threebond variation..

Question I would have is this one they used going to work better or worse then the original that was there..???

Clearly they are not all failing, but there is enough out there to make me wonder why they are still failing.
From 08' - 14'

Also, has anyone out there had a second coolant leak failure on the valley plate after the dealer or other has done the repair???

Joe Z
Old 03-13-16, 10:19 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the previous owner just took in the F for the ELF recall last Thursday due to not being able to register the. car. after reading this thread, I'm going to ask him if the dealer(riverside lexus I think) informed him of any coolant leak. hopefully not as he didn't mention it to me, but I'm sure he wouldn't since I was buying the car on Saturday. he did say the water pump has never been replaced. I'm going to check the coolant level now.
Old 03-13-16, 10:36 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mindcrime
the previous owner just took in the F for the ELF recall last Thursday due to not being able to register the. car. after reading this thread, I'm going to ask him if the dealer(riverside lexus I think) informed him of any coolant leak. hopefully not as he didn't mention it to me, but I'm sure he wouldn't since I was buying the car on Saturday. he did say the water pump has never been replaced. I'm going to check the coolant level now.
With the Intake Manifold removed.. Spotting coolant is super easy..!! (Like an eye sore)

If the tech saw coolant, he would try to sell the job and it would be documented as customer denied.
Or repaired if approved by customer.

Of course assuming this was all done "by the book"

If mine were to fail again, I would likely repair myself.
I've learned & documented enough on what to do and what not to do..

FWIW, my water pump is 08' / 117k miles original and problem free soo far.!!

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 03-13-16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-13-16, 11:20 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
With the Intake Manifold removed.. Spotting coolant is super easy..!! (Like an eye sore)

If the tech saw coolant, he would try to sell the job and it would be documented as customer denied.
Or repaired if approved by customer.

Of course assuming this was all done "by the book"

If mine were to fail again, I would likely repair myself.
I've learned & documented enough on what to do and what not to do..

FWIW, my water pump is 08' / 117k miles original and problem free soo far.!!

Joe Z
i'll check the glove box for the paper work, if not i'll ask the previous owner. i checked the coolant level and it looks full. kinda hard to see with the rubber hose next to it, but i'll clear the res. and make sure it's full. glad to hear no issues on your water pump with that many miles. so basically it's either the water pump failing and coolant leave in the manifold area and/or with or the other?
Old 03-13-16, 12:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I mentioned the leak to my SA yesterday to make sure they had previous experience and was very aware of the issue . I will have mine done FINALLY at 53k. Im good for 5 k after recent service. It will be cool to not have to keep checking on it plus the recall is behind me . I got a letter from Lexus recently saying that I still havent had it done and to see the dealership.
Old 03-13-16, 12:59 PM
trippy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well damn makin me worried about my 2006 with 98k now

i didnt get any recall for this ?? hrm ?
Old 03-13-16, 03:54 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Question

Originally Posted by trippy
well damn makin me worried about my 2006 with 98k now

i didnt get any recall for this ?? hrm ?
You have a 2006 IS F ..??

Joe Z
Old 03-13-16, 08:22 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
You have a 2006 IS F ..??

Joe Z
he didn't say it's an F lol. GS or ISx
Old 03-13-16, 09:07 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mindcrime
he didn't say it's an F lol. GS or ISx
I was just having some Fun
Old 03-13-16, 11:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was under the impression this was an ISF only issue. As soon as I mentioned it the SA was all over it.

I guess I need to take some pics of the wire harness and cross my fingers that the injectors make it unscathed . I do feel like the fact that I need to add coolant is getting annoying . Still cant complain compared the BS the BMW guys deal with
Old 09-21-16, 01:26 PM
Onisar123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

so looks like im experiencing this issue as well. I was under the assumption, when I brought it to Lexus that it was possibly my water pump leaking. I left the car overnight and paid 149 for a diagnostic fee. I get a call this morning, saying that there is coolant leaking and they need to charge me an additional 600 dollars to remove the intake to see where exactly the leak is! I began to complain and he said that there is nothing he can do since he cannot see where the leak is coming from. After reading this thread, now I am almost certain its the same issue everyone is having here. I have an extended warranty (Route 66 through PenFed), but they do not cover diagnostic fees.

Does it seem reasonable that I should pay the 600 plus dollars for a diagnostic fee? I dont have much experience going to a dealer, can anyone give me some advice on how I should approach this situation? I think the diagnostic fee they are charging is absurd, but he stated its to find where the leak is coming from (he had no knowledge of the leak nor the car) and stated it would go towards the repair once they find out where it is leaking. I just dont want to be trapped into paying the 600 dollars (already paid 149 for initial diagnosis) and then pay an additional 1k-2k depending on what they find and (if) it is covered under my warranty plan. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-21-16, 03:42 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

That's a bunch of bullish!$................................when I had mine done they were able to diagnose the leak without taking anything apart through a series of mirrors which they didn't charge me anything! The whole $600 dollar thing is a crock
Old 09-21-16, 07:50 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Haha. $600 is laughable. Tell them to use a camera or small mirror and they'll see it coming down the back side. Have a master tech do it.

Hopefully you have powertrain warranty still otherwise your third party will have to do. I would not pay anything more than half hour diagnostic fee.
Old 09-21-16, 08:03 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Onisar123
Hey guys,

so looks like im experiencing this issue as well. I was under the assumption, when I brought it to Lexus that it was possibly my water pump leaking. I left the car overnight and paid 149 for a diagnostic fee. I get a call this morning, saying that there is coolant leaking and they need to charge me an additional 600 dollars to remove the intake to see where exactly the leak is! I began to complain and he said that there is nothing he can do since he cannot see where the leak is coming from. After reading this thread, now I am almost certain its the same issue everyone is having here. I have an extended warranty (Route 66 through PenFed), but they do not cover diagnostic fees.

Does it seem reasonable that I should pay the 600 plus dollars for a diagnostic fee? I dont have much experience going to a dealer, can anyone give me some advice on how I should approach this situation? I think the diagnostic fee they are charging is absurd, but he stated its to find where the leak is coming from (he had no knowledge of the leak nor the car) and stated it would go towards the repair once they find out where it is leaking. I just dont want to be trapped into paying the 600 dollars (already paid 149 for initial diagnosis) and then pay an additional 1k-2k depending on what they find and (if) it is covered under my warranty plan. Anyone have any suggestions?
wow all of that is just bs for sure man, talk to a different sales advisor if you can, you will be surprised how many of them do not want to help you but there is a few that do. also sent him an email with pictures of where the leak is from this forum. if you have any aftermarket powertrain warranty it sure does cover this issue.
Old 11-11-16, 08:44 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Is there an actual step by step to fix this ourselves? I plan to do it myself since my coolant level keeps dropping to the low mark every few months. I'm going to use a lighted borescope to be sure that the valley plate is leaking first though. So all we need is silicone to reseal it to the block?

Quick Reply: Losing coolant ever so slightly.