2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF - Page 2 - Club Lexus Forums

Go Back   > > >
Log In 

2012 Shocks and springs on 2008 ISF

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-13, 10:05 PM   #16
Petshark
Driver
iTrader: ( 1 )
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 179
Default

Stock isn't that bad..... I have bc coilovers and would never think of going back to stock. The ride is 100 times better and I can adjust the ride firmness. Interested to see how this works out for you and what you think of it when it's done. Imo, if you're going through all this work and are really that unhappy with the ride and steering, why not find a 2011 or newer? That way it's exactly how you want.
Petshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 04:59 AM   #17
vbb
Moderator
iTrader: ( 2 )
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 1,481
Default

I don't think anyone is going to convince the OP to go aftermarket or buy a newer ISF. Would most of us get some aftermarket coilovers to improve the ride quality and stance? Yes. Heck, most of us probably don't think the suspension is that bad in the first place. I know that I'd heard so much about how bad the pre-2011 suspension was before I got my car that I was a little worried. Coming from a lowered S2000 though, I find the suspension to be perfectly comfortable in its stock form. Then again, that's just me. The OP has it in his mind that he wants to retrofit a 2012 suspension on his car, and I am interested to see how much the project ends up costing him to be done correctly.
vbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 05:32 AM   #18
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: ( 16 )
 
kauaian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 893
Default

I agree with you VBB I don't think the stock suspension is bad at all! My previous car was a MKIV lowered on KW's and I think the stock F suspension rides better being daily driven. To each his own and its owners choice.
kauaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 08:31 AM   #19
zapa
Lexus Test Driver
 
zapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCleaner View Post
I dont want aftermarket on my car. ISF is a special car and in my opinion its stock or nothing. Just a personal preference.
Got to respect what the OP wants to do with HIS car. Let us know how it turns out man. Have you thought about getting the LSD as well?
zapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 08:40 AM   #20
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion
iTrader: ( 2 )
 
VtotheJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 2,532
Default

Not a bad idea. I think OP saved a significant amount of money by purchasing an earlier model F, and then putting the later-model parts in. All you would pretty much need is the newer suspension, LED headlights, new tach (probably tough to put in) and LSD. Interested to see how the ride is, although I would never change mine since I'm satisfied with it, and........if it ain't broke don't fix it.....IMO
VtotheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 10:50 AM   #21
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapa View Post
Got to respect what the OP wants to do with HIS car. Let us know how it turns out man. Have you thought about getting the LSD as well?
I was thinking about it. One thing at the time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheJ View Post
Not a bad idea. I think OP saved a significant amount of money by purchasing an earlier model F, and then putting the later-model parts in. All you would pretty much need is the newer suspension, LED headlights, new tach (probably tough to put in) and LSD. Interested to see how the ride is, although I would never change mine since I'm satisfied with it, and........if it ain't broke don't fix it.....IMO
I bought the car in mid 2010. Got about 60k miles on the stock shocks and 10k of which I had aftermarket Swift Sport springs that I am pretty sure killed my drivers front shock. The car doesnt feel stable anymore at high rate of speeds and is bouncy. Pretty much its broken so I am fixing it .
I could have bought same set up I had (from 08) but why if you could get almost identically looking shocks but retuned.

2013 ISF will have even more refined shocks and different spring rates. Mainly I read that it will no longer have a shock rebound spring anymore for an added comfort in the rear. I am not getting into any details but it seems to be the case. 2013-2012 Shocks were designed by German company named ZF (sachs) unlike 2011. 2011 Shocks are made by Tokico and share same part numbers as 2008 (according to my parts guy). Go figure, maybe the only change on 2011 were spring rates ???? Anyways...
MadCleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:25 AM   #22
MisterSkiz
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: ( 2 )
 
MisterSkiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 1,210
Default

08 suspension is fine. You need LSD to totally change the car. I believe member "juanca" went throught this already..the rear springs are shorter than the other years. Probably going to have to buy spring, shocks and mount.
MisterSkiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 01:50 PM   #23
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiz View Post
08 suspension is fine. You need LSD to totally change the car. I believe member "juanca" went throught this already..the rear springs are shorter than the other years. Probably going to have to buy spring, shocks and mount.
I bought 4 shocks and 4 springs...everything else is the same part number so that will be reused. I mentioned my parts list in the 1st post. LSD wont make a difference unless you are hauling a$$ out of the turn like a madman,launching your car at the drag strip, or trying to do donuts somewhere.
MadCleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 02:09 PM   #24
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion
iTrader: ( 2 )
 
VtotheJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 2,532
Default

I considered springs but after reading up on them it looks like they are only for cosmetics.....I figured body roll would be less but people who have them say that there is no difference from stock. And like you said it was probably the cause for the shocks blowing out. However with coils I think the car handles way better if I recall correctly.
VtotheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 02:47 PM   #25
FIGS
The Maker
iTrader: ( 10 )
 
FIGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 1,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCleaner View Post
I bought 4 shocks and 4 springs...everything else is the same part number so that will be reused. I mentioned my parts list in the 1st post. LSD wont make a difference unless you are hauling a$$ out of the turn like a madman,launching your car at the drag strip, or trying to do donuts somewhere.
The LSD makes a huge difference with how the eLSD interferes with handling in a corner. It is one of many improvements that can be done to an 08. For the most part lexus is just now understanding what it takes to build a production performance car and which manufacturing partners can get them there. The changes they have made are the same things things we started back in 2009 to our 2008. Stability also comes from a reduced bumpsteer rear suspension geometry, that is what our MEGA arms and toe links accomplish. Your 2008 can easily be better than the 2012 with a small investment.
Mike
FIGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 02:59 PM   #26
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 45
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGS View Post
The LSD makes a huge difference with how the eLSD interferes with handling in a corner. It is one of many improvements that can be done to an 08. For the most part lexus is just now understanding what it takes to build a production performance car and which manufacturing partners can get them there. The changes they have made are the same things things we started back in 2009 to our 2008. Stability also comes from a reduced bumpsteer rear suspension geometry, that is what our MEGA arms and toe links accomplish. Your 2008 can easily be better than the 2012 with a small investment.
Mike
Thats great but LSD wont help me if I fall into a crater on my trip to Boston. I appreciate your efforts in making more of a race car out of the ISF. A lot of people would appreciate it on here. I am more of a guy that goes after stock improved parts. After all new set up on the ISF beat an M3 at the VIR and that has to mean something. I will go after improved OEM parts and share it on here for someone who is in the same boat as myself.

If I accomplish what I am after from the OEM parts bin only then I will consider an LSD and yes, it will be OEM unit.

Please be kind enough to let me know why lower spring perches aren't notched in a 2012 ISF?

Last edited by MadCleaner; 02-09-13 at 09:19 PM.
MadCleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 10:53 PM   #27
zazzn
Lead Lap
 
zazzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SF, CA/Canada
Posts: 640
Default

Interesting, and I commend you for trying... Looking to hear your results...

In my 08, I don't mind the shocks too much but it is annoying in city driving in SF and down right harsh. However, having Tien HA's on my Aristo previously and HKS Supermax's D's on my mk3 supra, I can say that this is the softer of all three cars, albit the mk3's and it's accordion like body flex.

I haven't bought coil overs, because #1 I already scrape going in to my parking garage in SF (scrapes the hitch that was installed by the last owner) and #2 I'd rather spend the money on a LSD. I'm still furious that manufactures install this Ediff crap. It's worse then the first versions of drive by wire in mercs....
zazzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:15 PM   #28
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: ( 1 )
 
2ndGF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoCal OC/LA
Posts: 1,218
Default

This thread makes me laugh... Thousands of $$ on OEM parts to keep the car "stock" - question, what oil are you using??? I hope you didn't upgrade to synthetic!!
2ndGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:57 PM   #29
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzn View Post
Interesting, and I commend you for trying... Looking to hear your results...

In my 08, I don't mind the shocks too much but it is annoying in city driving in SF and down right harsh. However, having Tien HA's on my Aristo previously and HKS Supermax's D's on my mk3 supra, I can say that this is the softer of all three cars, albit the mk3's and it's accordion like body flex.

I haven't bought coil overs, because #1 I already scrape going in to my parking garage in SF (scrapes the hitch that was installed by the last owner) and #2 I'd rather spend the money on a LSD. I'm still furious that manufactures install this Ediff crap. It's worse then the first versions of drive by wire in mercs....
+ 1, it is harsh. Not to mention when you lower the car your alignment will be out of whack as well. Take that hitch out! LOL. I didn't buy a 60k car to outfit it with aftermarket components.
MadCleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 11:59 PM   #30
MadCleaner
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 45
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGF View Post
This thread makes me laugh... Thousands of $$ on OEM parts to keep the car "stock" - question, what oil are you using??? I hope you didn't upgrade to synthetic!!
It comes with synthetic OEM.
MadCleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new GX RCsGX GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) 43 04-01-16 08:51 AM
How to protect your floor mats (A Revolutionary Solution) Autopreme ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) 0 12-11-15 03:11 AM
MD Clean 98 Ls400 FS/FT wheelies Lexus Vehicles Classifieds 22 03-24-15 11:38 AM
is it recommended to change transmission oil ? silverar RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) 2 12-29-14 05:07 AM
Bad Front Strut.......need information... hlippy4 LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 3 10-14-14 05:22 PM


Tags
2008, 2012, bump, driver, front, isf, lexus, mount, passenger, rear, sewell, shock, shocks, springs, stop, top, upgrades

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved