IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Freshened up the Paint on My Black F

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 08:09 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More cutting equals more time/money, by reading through the detailers description it sounds as if he was limited by the customer not his skill.
Old 01-30-13, 09:58 AM
eoph
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
More cutting equals more time/money, by reading through the detailers description it sounds as if he was limited by the customer not his skill.
Yep. The vehicle already has chips which are not repairable. As it will be never perfect, I was looking for bang for my buck.
Old 01-30-13, 10:12 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

I'll be taking my obsidian ISF in after winter..
Old 01-30-13, 10:18 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by eoph
Yep. The vehicle already has chips which are not repairable. As it will be never perfect, I was looking for bang for my buck.
This was also my goal when I had the paint detailed a year ago. I got pelted with sand behind a truck one day and the whole front of the car is pitted, but most of the damage is in the clearcoat, not the paint. I was hoping they could get the pits out, but it would take a full wet sand, and at that point, I'd rather just have a respray. BTW, the windshield also took it in the shorts and its glaringly obvious (pun intended) when driving under street lights at night.

I really dislike black cars except when they're immaculately clean, and that's not very often.
Old 01-30-13, 11:51 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Looks great but needs better tire dressing. lol love the Fsport wheels on an F wasnt sure they worked with brakes etc.
Old 01-30-13, 03:15 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

looks great. black cars are so hard to maintain, but looks gorgeous when properly cleaned up.
Old 01-30-13, 05:48 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This was also my goal when I had the paint detailed a year ago. I got pelted with sand behind a truck one day and the whole front of the car is pitted, but most of the damage is in the clearcoat, not the paint. I was hoping they could get the pits out, but it would take a full wet sand, and at that point, I'd rather just have a respray. BTW, the windshield also took it in the shorts and its glaringly obvious (pun intended) when driving under street lights at night.

I really dislike black cars except when they're immaculately clean, and that's not very often.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...e-you-removing
Old 01-30-13, 06:31 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is not perfect but it is a big improvement. The holograms for sure can be taken out it. As your read in his write up it was only a single polishing step so since he used an aggressive setup to start it will leave behind some holograms that can be removed with a second less aggressive polishing step. The goal was not to have the car in pristine condition and the detailer even says that.
Old 01-30-13, 09:34 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

big difference. those are pics with a detail light on it. it may not look perfect in that light but trust me, it's a huge difference when the car is seen in person in day or night. that would bring a lot of gloss back especially when the sun is starting to set. there are very few times your car will be in that type of lighting.

i would never detail my car and go for full correction in the winter time anyways. good job OP, i bet it looks tons better.
Old 01-31-13, 07:51 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Paint correction is definitely an art that takes time and each vehicle takes different methods to aquire great results to clearing up clear coat damage. Today most people are on a budget ofcoarse causing limitations to the ending result in respect to paint correction. The average vehicle I correct takes about 3 to 5 hours and that is about 2-4 correcting stages, plus polishing, glazing, and waxing; with sealing being and extra component. Thus, finely finishing a paint to better than new condition takes on average 10 + hours, and here is what one of those details looks like as I did on my red isf wet sand and buff to 4500 SF. Also, here is Paul Sr's trans am and old form the show that my friend Calvin from carlyl motors purchased after a good 8 hour plus detail on both.

I used my porter cable with LC white pad, first stage Menzerna 1500, second stage Menzerna 2500, then finished polishing stages with the Makita Rotary blue pad with Menzerna 4000 SF, then black pad 4500 SF. Then topped it off with Wolfgang Concours Wax.

**Only difference on the newer TA Hurst I used my FLEX da with forced rotation on initial buffing stage bc clear was ofcoarse harder to correct, and needed a bit more force so to speak.
Attached Thumbnails Freshened up the Paint on My Black F-img_0026.jpg   Freshened up the Paint on My Black F-img_0020.jpg   Freshened up the Paint on My Black F-img_2387.jpg   Freshened up the Paint on My Black F-img_2414.jpg  

Last edited by StealthFF; 01-31-13 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 09:41 AM
clarionguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you generally wash your car?

Brush? Two bucket technique? Auto Car Wash?

That was a lot of swirls damage before the process :O
Old 02-02-13, 11:43 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^Most likely probably just drive through car washes. So sad to see the IS F originally treated like this. If the car isn't maintained now, in a few months, it'll go back to looking the way it used to.

Funny how it has a clear bra, but everything else is still jacked...lol
Old 02-04-13, 09:03 AM
eoph
Pit Crew

I mainly blame parking outside in Canadian winter in my old workplace, heated underground parking now though