IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Interior rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-13, 12:05 PM
Djtexan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior rattles?

If you are experiencing any interior rattles/ noises please post. If there is a post already please direct me. Thanks!
Old 01-26-13, 01:40 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

none to report at this time - 2011 w/ 27k miles
Old 01-26-13, 01:49 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Speedo surround squeaks so jammed a folded up piece of paper between speedo cluster and bezel surround lol

I have another rattle somewhere else just can't pin point it yet so I drive with the radio on haha
Old 01-26-13, 02:32 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

2013, one rattle under the glove box on very very rough roads.

Have not had a the chance to look around in there and see what's going on. (too busy with work and travel)
Old 01-26-13, 02:37 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one in my drivers side door panel, the rear view mirror is a notorious offender. Put an exhaust on and many more rattles will arise. A little disappointing for a Lexus IMO.
Old 01-26-13, 06:29 PM
MicaISF
Pole Position

driver door and instrument cluster metallic rattle on rough roads for the last three years. went to Fresno Lexus once 3 years ago. 23 miles of testing driving later, they told me they could not hear any rattle. i just gave up on them since then. not really worth the time to go back to the dealer for a trivial problem.
Old 01-26-13, 06:44 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gauge cluster is making a crackling sound almost sounds like pop rocks. I'll be taking that into the dealer soon
Old 01-26-13, 08:06 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

id like a car with no ticks and clicks
but i dont believe its possible
I just gave up on mine
Old 01-27-13, 10:57 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had my first interior rattle a few months ago, it was near the glove box, an annoying squeaky sound. I removed the owner's manual and it no longer squeaks. It was putting pressure on the divider inside.
Old 01-27-13, 04:36 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Katin2
My gauge cluster is making a crackling sound almost sounds like pop rocks. I'll be taking that into the dealer soon
That cluster noise is an easy fix. See this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-cluster.html
Old 01-27-13, 09:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I've been hearing something from the left vent/cluster intermittently ever since my first track weekend. After reading this thread, I figured I'd better remove the cluster surround and have a look. I pulled out the cluster too, and found the nut at the bottom behind the cluster which secures the lower cluster mounts wasn't even finger tight. I turned it five full turns before it started getting tight.

I also had fret marks on the surround and the cluster lens at the top right directly in line with the push pin. I moved the cluster back by removing the mount on the right side and putting a couple of washers between the mount with the clip and the dash (yes, I used a stubby phillips screwdriver to get this done so I didn't have to remove the whole dash pad), then moved the factory felt pad so it was in the exact place it needed to be. I now have a small but definite gap between the cluster and the surround all the way around.

Anyway, I think the loose nut was probably more responsible than anything else for making dash noises. I'll know better tomorrow when I go out for coffee.
Old 01-27-13, 09:56 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
That cluster noise is an easy fix. See this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-cluster.html
Thanks cayman I will give this a shot for sure
Old 01-28-13, 10:42 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I've got multiple rattles... sun roof rattles when its closed and when its cracked open when I'm going over bumpy surfaces, driver door trim/seal rattles and almost sounds like i'm driving with the door not fully closed, and there's another rattle between the dash on the driver side some where behind the gauge cluster bezel and dash.
Old 03-23-13, 01:04 PM
Djtexan
Rookie

Still loads of interior noises, more help plz!
Old 03-23-13, 02:31 PM
CarbonISF
Rookie

My OCD kicked into overdrive when I got my car and started hearing rattles. I know the hard suspension on my 2010 has a lot to do with it, but I was relentless. After many miles and trips to the dealer, here is what I remember doing:

- Dealer pulled apart most of the dash and some of the pillars, added felt around the cluster, vents, panel seams, etc
- Dealer pulled out the rear deck and lined everything with felt
- Passenger door had a strong rattle around 100Hz. Made a 100Hz file and burned it to a CD, took it to the dealer and they replaced the door panel
- A rattle would occasionally start and not stop from under the passenger seat. Dealer pulled the seat out and made sure all wires and bits were secure
- Loose rearview mirror, dealer tightened it and no problems since

I'm sure there is more. But most of it was just adding felt. Some of the seams have a bit more of a gap than stock, but it beats having it rattle.

Quick Reply: Interior rattles?