IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F or Genesis Coupe 3.8 or 550i

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 09:55 PM
sbaer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F or Genesis Coupe 3.8 or 550i

Hello. I am new to this forum and am looking for some food for thought from the community here. Currently I am driving a 2005 Audi S4 with the V8 block. I like the car but after 2 years I am ready for something new and I am also not too happy about how the vehicle is holding up. Don't get me wrong it still looks sharp and never had any technical issues but the interior starts to make some noises on bumpy roads, engine chains makes noises (normal on this engine but am just tired of it) etc.
So the big question is what is next. I am from Europe but left that part of the world more than 5 years ago and live in the states now. This is the reason why I got the older S4, it had the V8. In Europe that would have been out of question, gasoline prices too high, insurance, tax etc.

I am not necessarily focused on German cars only after seeing so many issues with BMW, MB etc. for the last couple of years. It is a shame what they manufactured in terms of reliability constancy. Some models are ok (not great) others are horrible.
A V8 would be nice again so this basically pointed me towards

BMW 550i 2008
Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2013
Lexus IS-F 2008

Budget is around 35k +-
BMW would be the cheapest with around 26k and no warranty.
Hyundai, brand new model with 0 miles and warranty longer than what I will keep it for probably.
Lexus, same cost as Hyundai but around 40k miles, as Lexus CPO maybe with 3 year warranty.

Hyundai doesn't have a V8 but latest technology with 8 spd AT tranny, touch screen etc.
Lexus and BMW would offer four doors so it also has some practicality.
My gut tells me the BMW would be the least reliable one with potential for costly repairs but I would save ~10k $ and put it on the bank for eventual repairs.

So my question for you guys is how are the IS-F holding up. Would I enjoy a 2008 for a long time to come or are there known issues?

Thank you for reading this far. Appreciate it!
Old 01-11-13, 10:15 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In a $35k price range you can get a 2008 M5 as well. Its notorious for problems though but you'll have the fastest car in its price range by far. I was considering this was well but the problems are so bad for that car that I decided it wasn't worth it.

550i has less performance problems (like the M5's SMG) but similar problems as the M5 since its the same chassis.

I wouldn't consider a Hyundai in your category due to having 2 doors. It's just a different market.

In the 35k range you can also consider a 2008 M3 or a 335i. Both are great cars but reliability is still a question.

A G37 sedan is also an option in that price range if you want some performance and a decent amount of torque.

A IS-F is IMO the best option, it has the best performance/reliability ratio out of all of them (although I had some problems with mine but was covered by Lexus even when I was out of warranty). This is why I purchased my car. a G37 or a 335 was a close second.
Old 01-11-13, 10:16 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

No question , hands down ISF
Old 01-11-13, 10:19 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Didn't even bother reading what anyone wrote. I saw the title...all i need to read... get an IS F..
Old 01-11-13, 10:19 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

you picked 3 cars all diff classes. hyundai, just go sit and drive one, you will not want to spend money on that. 550i, no thanks. ISF, is nice but im trying to be non bias as possible. isf is the nicest car on that list. like isfpat said, m5 is more like it but it does have problem, only the 06 but that's the one for around 35k. if you got an 08 m5,, most problems are fixed.
Old 01-11-13, 10:24 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2008 M5 is around 35k as well around here but ranges in price due to options. It also has the worst gas mileage (really really bad mpg) of all cars but its undoubtedly the fastest one. My friend owns a 2010 M5 and he says the problems were fixed in the later years (pre 2010)
Old 01-11-13, 10:27 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFpat
The 2008 M5 is around 35k as well around here but ranges in price due to options. It also has the worst gas mileage (really really bad mpg) of all cars but its undoubtedly the fastest one. My friend owns a 2010 M5 and he says the problems were fixed in the later years (pre 2010)
i drive the smg m6 everyday now and i get about 8mpg to work at back. that's not shifting higher than 3.5k rpm and not aggressively at all. also thats with p400 mode which is working 8 cylinders with about 400hp at the flywheel . on the highway, best so far is about 15mpg, so i agree with you 100%. when on p500 m mode, i get about 4-5mpg. i literally see the gas gauge going down when driving .
Old 01-11-13, 11:18 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

So the tip that ISFPOWER is trying to tell you about MPG is that you better own some XOM (ticker code for Exxon Mobil) to counter the cost of gas...lol
Old 01-11-13, 11:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

IS-F. I wouldn't entertain the Hyundai nor the 550i unless it was the latest body style, even then I would gravitate towards the F
Old 01-12-13, 12:38 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It would be hard pressed to go against the IS F among the cars you've chosen. Great reliability, full of luxury and amenities, and it has more than enough hp to enjoy on the roads. Gas mileage will probably be best with the Genesis, as I believe it's rated at 18/27. I liked the styling of the '08 550i. Reliability from what I've heard is really bad on this particular model; one of my friends had three separate trips to the dealer last year alone (fuel system, abrupt opening of trunk when car hits a bump, and pump failure). Some say that BMW's reliability is getting better, but if you really want a no nonsense car, I'd choose the Lexus of the three. It really depends on what you really need in a car and to narrow down even further your needs for it. The three you've listed cannot be compared, so having a specific list of necessities in choosing your next car will surely help.

Best of luck!
Old 01-12-13, 04:12 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

those other cars are embarrassing hahaha
Old 01-12-13, 04:49 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Without question the ISF is the best deal out of them all.. you get everything in one package! Performance, luxury, and reliability!

What I want to know is what the guys over in the Genesis forums would say if you ask this same exact question.
Old 01-12-13, 06:27 AM
sbaer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your quick replies and insights.
I guess this quote sums it up quite well: "Without question the ISF is the best deal out of them all.. you get everything in one package! Performance, luxury, and reliability!"

At least I don't hear much complaints about reliability on the F. I barely remember reading something a while back about one gentleman who had his engine taken apart by Lexus for some issue but that must have been an isolated incident?

As far as the requirements go that's always a moving target as life moves on, right. No kids at this point in time but might change in the next 1-2 years.
Wife has a SUV so that works for the dogs and and the heavy hauling we have to do.
MPG with my current vehicle is 14 mpg so anything will be an improvement. (except the M5 which was mentioned here )

@Boma: Haven't asked this question in any other forum yet since I am already leaning towards Lexus a bit but you're right this would be interesting to know.
Old 01-12-13, 08:45 AM
on6mt
Driver School Candidate

I went from a 2004 s4 6speed to an 08 isf and have no regrets. I do occassionally miss shifting gears but i gotta say the 8 speed box in the lexus is one of the best performing automatic units ive used. Its quite fast and responsive with shifts and blips well on downshifts.

I loved the s4 and mine never gave me major issues but i also had the famous timing rattle and it got to the point where i was constantly backing off on the car as i was worried that something was going to break.

Compared to the s4 thr isf is quite a bit faster, brakes better, and has better handling dynamics (no more constant understeer). Also interior and overall looks are more up to date.

Pluses for the s4 - felt more planted and had an overall more solid feel (famous german door thud) and i loved the 6 speed (although the clutch was a bit prone to not engaging too predictably)

The other cars you mentioned are both in a slightly different classes. The 550i is nice but they are more of a luxury cruiser than a performance sedan, plus your into reliability issues again with that chassis. The gensis is a cool car (I looked at a 4 door 5.0R) but put it side by side with an isf and im pretty sure you wont think twice where your money is better spent.

If you get an isf you wont regret it. Its a remarkable car that really balances preformance, luxury, and a good drive. Plus it does this with the reliability of camry which no M, S/RS, or AMG machine does.

Good luck with the shopping.
Old 01-12-13, 11:22 AM
Adam350is
Pole Position

why isnt the 2008 m3 on that list? you could get it for 35k-40k depending on options and mileage. I know this is a lexus forums but you could entertain that thought too. my 2 favorite cars out there are the m3 and isf. and price is very similar.
The 550i and genesis shouldn't even be a thought. its like comparing apples to oranges.

Quick Reply: IS-F or Genesis Coupe 3.8 or 550i