IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Apexi Smart Accel Throttle Controller Problem

Old 10-24-15, 07:25 AM
Lexgendboi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will punch you into your seat when you switch it on Red at a traffic light, after mins of cruising in normal/econ mode.
Old 10-26-15, 03:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Have been interested in this mod but isnt there something strange with the reverse function?? Or did they figure that out ?
Old 10-26-15, 03:18 PM
RickHansen
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one in my BMW 335i. They revert back to normal for reverse.
Old 10-26-15, 04:24 PM
jkems06
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having a problem with the initialization on my apexi smart accel. no matter what I do I cant get the initialization to work properly. After I do the initialization the controller just keeps blinking white and doesn't turn off. I posted a video of what I'm doing. If anyone has any suggestions or input that would be great. I have a 2008 Is-F btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ne_...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-26-15, 05:42 PM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jkems06
I'm having a problem with the initialization on my apexi smart accel. no matter what I do I cant get the initialization to work properly. After I do the initialization the controller just keeps blinking white and doesn't turn off. I posted a video of what I'm doing. If anyone has any suggestions or input that would be great. I have a 2008 Is-F btw.

Where are you located in PA?
Old 10-26-15, 05:56 PM
jkems06
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMV8
Where are you located in PA?
I'm located in Harrisburg area
Old 11-01-15, 02:01 AM
Tokenblkgy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this system come with a harness where you dont have to splice into the throttle wires?
Old 01-09-16, 06:58 PM
ForTheF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkems06

I too am having this problem after the install. I also tried to follow the instructions provided from apexi hq and it still doesn't work. Anyone have updates on this? Tia
Old 06-21-16, 07:04 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Its been months since a post so assuming many here who had probs with the calibration got it working.

Well i just installed this unit in my 2008 ISF tonight and to calibrate mine i did the following which worked 1st time perfect:

1. Press ignition twice but dont turn on the engine. Just have the car electrics working. The apexi button should be flashing white
2. Press the bottom of the switch and hold it until it turns blue
3. once you release the button it will go from blue to flashing whtie again
4. depress the accelerator pedal all the way and press the top of the button at the same time until it turns red
5. Once red, release the button and accelerator pedal
6. Fingers crossed there will be no more flashing on the button meaning youre good to go

Got the above from a UK ISF member and as said, worked great for me. Litereally took 20 seconds to calibrate. Hope this helps.

Ps. In the limited testing i did (just finished install at 11pm, yeah i know why start so late lol) but anyway impressed so far. In normal mode, it definitely feels like it has removed that flat spot hesistation it had even with my exhaust etc. Gotta love the factory OEM finish too with the perfectly sized Apexi button that fits in the empty slot great.
Old 06-21-16, 10:51 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF5L
Its been months since a post so assuming many here who had probs with the calibration got it working.

Well i just installed this unit in my 2008 ISF tonight and to calibrate mine i did the following which worked 1st time perfect:

1. Press ignition twice but dont turn on the engine. Just have the car electrics working. The apexi button should be flashing white
2. Press the bottom of the switch and hold it until it turns blue
3. once you release the button it will go from blue to flashing whtie again
4. depress the accelerator pedal all the way and press the top of the button at the same time until it turns red
5. Once red, release the button and accelerator pedal
6. Fingers crossed there will be no more flashing on the button meaning youre good to go

Got the above from a UK ISF member and as said, worked great for me. Litereally took 20 seconds to calibrate. Hope this helps.

Ps. In the limited testing i did (just finished install at 11pm, yeah i know why start so late lol) but anyway impressed so far. In normal mode, it definitely feels like it has removed that flat spot hesistation it had even with my exhaust etc. Gotta love the factory OEM finish too with the perfectly sized Apexi button that fits in the empty slot great.
That'll be my install guide then! Lol.

The other issue is the IS-F specific loom you plug into the top of the throttle pedal. If you get the pins back to front, it won't calibrate, and continues to flash white.

I believe there is a paint blob on one side of the connector. This needs to face inwards. If you can't get it to calibrate, swap the pin connector around and try again.

Just don't start the engine till the Apexi switch has gone out! If you do, it throws all manner of check lights, and goes into limp mode!

Just use the electrics only mode to test which is no throttle pedal, just hit start button twice.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-16, 11:49 AM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickHansen
does it make your takeoff a bit more aggressive, or a lot?
In purple mode it's ALOT! (Which is why I only drive around with sport mode on and purple throttle response mode ).

I love it you get INSTANT THEOTTLE RESPONSE.
And you get the benefit of instantly kicking 3-4 gears in auto mode on the tranny when you hit it hard

Terrible for gas mileage DOES WONDERS for smiles ��per gallon however.

Please remember that when this is working (all color modes) the light DOES FLASH, this indicates that the unit is working.

Last edited by IredSF; 06-21-16 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 11:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have been looking into this for my car well. Price is not high at all and it seems to give the F a little willingness to fly
Old 06-21-16, 12:09 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by IredSF
In purple mode it's ALOT! (Which is why I only drive around with sport mode on and purple throttle response mode ).

I love it you get INSTANT THEOTTLE RESPONSE.
And you get the benefit of instantly kicking 3-4 gears in auto mode on the tranny when you hit it hard

Terrible for gas mileage DOES WONDERS for smiles ��per gallon however.

Please remember that when this is working (all color modes) the light DOES FLASH, this indicates that the unit is working.
I think you mean Red mode... not purple.
Old 06-21-16, 12:10 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have been looking into this for my car well. Price is not high at all and it seems to give the F a little willingness to fly
Yes, definitely worth the investment.
Old 06-21-16, 12:26 PM
IredSF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
I think you mean Red mode... not purple.
No I mean purple! Everyone uses red assuming it's best.

Red mode is enhanced throttle output based on throttle position.
Purple mode is enhanced throttle output per unit of TIME.

So QUICKEST (time) throttle response is PURPLE. Most output vs throttle position is RED.
I've tried this a million times, purple hits HARDER AND KCKS DOWN MORE GEARS IN auto than RED mode.

Try, you'll see

Remember stay OFF THE WOT SWITCH!(wot activation causes throttle to revert to NORMAL BRHAVIOR) you hit WOT and you might as well not even have this. It's right there in the English documentation. (Wot activation causes mean reversion until wot is released)

Last edited by IredSF; 06-21-16 at 12:32 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apexi Smart Accel Throttle Controller Problem