2008 IS-F versus E39 M5

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 05:30 AM
strivedi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 IS-F versus E39 M5

Happy New Year to all.

Have a 2008 IS-F with 76k trouble free miles. Has been great but getting the itch to return to a BMW M5. Had a 2000 which I sold with 80k miles due to reliability issues. Apparently the last years of the E39 chassis (2002/2003) are more reliable. Drove two in great shape - one stock and another a Dinan S2 M5. Forgot how much I enjoyed driving a manual and how brittle the IS-F suspension feels. Given what I can get for my IS-F, I am contemplating returning to a M5.

Any reliability issues with your IS-Fs? Besides switching the tires to Michelin Pilot Super Sports, any other ideas? What kind of mileage do you expect out of the IS-F prior to having to do major reconditioning or non-maintenance work?

Thanks for the input.

Sean
Old 01-01-13, 06:39 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I will let the guys that have f's chime in (i have a 350) but the 2is platform has proven to be extremely reliable. From my years of reading the forums I have seen minimal issues with the f with several members approaching/at/over 100k miles.
Old 01-01-13, 07:54 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My F has 97k on the clock with just routine maintenance and still feels like a car with 20k IMO. Most will say a properly taken care of Lexus will last over 200k+ with out a need for any overhauling. In my experience BMW's are nearing the end of their life at around 100k. They are tremendous drivers cars, but I just don't feel like they are built to last. If you are unhappy with the way the suspension set up feels you should consider upgrading to a coilover setup like KW V3 or BC if you're budget conscious. Most say the ride quality feels better than stock and more stable. I'm not bashing the M5, but I feel like we get the best of everything with our cars (reliability, speed, looks) while the BMW will never be as reliable, especially considering they are 10 years old now.
Old 01-01-13, 10:02 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From reliablity standpoint, it doesn't seem you can go wrong with the IS-F

The next/newer car will always/should be better, so it'll just be a matter of time before the newer IS-F comes out and this IS-F might be obsolete for you. However, since newer models of the m5 have already been release and you still really like the e39 chassis, you'll probably always like it for the rest of your life; therefore, I suggest you buy it.

Time won't change how you feel about the m5, but time will make it harder for you to find a clean version of the e39 you like (ie: color, mileage, condition, options, etc).

If you trade in your IS-F now for the m5 and later get the itch for an IS-F again a few years later, the 2013 models should be out and you can buy the newest IS-F without the initial first depreciation hit.
Old 01-01-13, 02:17 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by strivedi
Happy New Year to all.

Have a 2008 IS-F with 76k trouble free miles. Has been great but getting the itch to return to a BMW M5. Had a 2000 which I sold with 80k miles due to reliability issues. Apparently the last years of the E39 chassis (2002/2003) are more reliable. Drove two in great shape - one stock and another a Dinan S2 M5. Forgot how much I enjoyed driving a manual and how brittle the IS-F suspension feels. Given what I can get for my IS-F, I am contemplating returning to a M5.

Any reliability issues with your IS-Fs? Besides switching the tires to Michelin Pilot Super Sports, any other ideas? What kind of mileage do you expect out of the IS-F prior to having to do major reconditioning or non-maintenance work?

Thanks for the input.

Sean
Do your research first on the new M5. BMW issued a cease sales order because of catastrophic engine failures...obviously enough to warrant an extreme measure.
Old 01-01-13, 03:31 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Do your research first on the new M5. BMW issued a cease sales order because of catastrophic engine failures...obviously enough to warrant an extreme measure.
You are 100% right ISF001 WOW you would think BMW would have learned its lesson buy now with all fuel pump failure issue in 3 serious, DCT problems with M3, problems with turbos in 335 but yet they still continue to do same thing over and over again. I have no don't they will fix the problem but these cars should not have been released for sale until thoroughly tested.That's what steered me away from buying M3 in 2010 and went with ISF instead.

BMW is recalling nearly 700 2013 M5 and M6s due to the potential for catastrophic engine failure.

From truth about cars website

The recall is related to a faulty oil pump, with NHTSA’s recall announcement stating

“Separation of the pump’s driveshaft from the rotor could lead to a sudden loss of oil pressure causing the possibility of complete engine failure, resulting in an engine stall-like condition, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.”

A stop-sale order was issued on September 21st, but the recall won’t go into effect until later this month. Luckily, our own Alex Dykes already got his turn behind the wheel.

From Autoblog.com

Catastrophic engine failure... not exactly what you want to hear no matter what you're driving, but especially so when you've just purchased a brand-new 2013 BMW M5 or M6.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, "a manufacturing process error" could cause the oil pump's driveshaft to separate from its rotor, leading "to a sudden loss of oil pressure causing the possibility of complete engine failure, resulting in an engine stall-like condition, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash."

As is always the case with such recalls, BMW will be contacting owners and dealerships with plans to fix the problem free of charge. On the plus side, we'd imagine some owners already know of the problem, considering the brand issued a stop sale notice on the M5 and M6 on September 21.
Old 01-01-13, 03:33 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Dang that sucks! I would of loved an M5 but Im gonna have to reconsider after hearing this news...
Old 01-01-13, 04:51 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The E39 M5 is my all time favorite M5. It's one of those cars that never fails to turn my head when I see one, and I'd love to own one as a second or third vehicle. That said, I can't understand the logic behind thinking your 2008 IS-F may be a maintenance headache soon, and so you are going to switch to a 10 year old BMW. That's crazy talk. In no way would that be a smart decision if this is a car you plan on driving daily. If you want something a little more raw, and with a true manual transmission, I'd keep the ISF as a daily and pick up a cheap S2000. That is a fantastic driver's car.
Old 01-01-13, 09:14 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strivedi
Happy New Year to all.
Had a 2000 which I sold with 80k miles due to reliability issues. Apparently the last years of the E39 chassis (2002/2003) are more reliable. Forgot how much I enjoyed driving a manual and how brittle the IS-F suspension feels. Given what I can get for my IS-F, I am contemplating returning to a M5.
Why would you want to get back into a E39 if you sold your previous one if it had reliability issues? Even if the later years are more reliable, it will come nowhere close to the F in reliability. I don't know about you, but when I'm in Manual + Sport mode and using the paddles in the F, I forget about traditional manual considering how quickly it shifts. If the ISF suspension feels stiff, change it. There are many aftermarket suspensions available.

Since we're on the topic of reliability, I wouldn't even come close to BMW. Here are two good reads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7409565-post64.html

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-to-drive-cars
Old 01-02-13, 06:32 AM
strivedi
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the input. The 2000 and 2001 E39 M5 models had a few significant engine issues which were subsequently corrected prior to the 2002 and 2003 models. In no way will the M5 match the reliability of my current IS-F or any other Lexus for that matter. I fully expect my current vehicle to easily last until 200k miles.

I however still love the look and drive experience of the E39 M5 (2000 to 2003 in the U.S.) which is why I continue to desire one on occasion. In truth what I want is an E39 M5 with IS-F reliability/durability.

Thanks again to all for the input.