IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Possible Issue after JoeZ exhaust install

Old 12-29-12, 08:53 AM
MWhit02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i'm gonna have my shop just shave down that little bit of lip and see if I ever hear that sound again...if I do, at least I can rule out my exhaust rubbing up against anything.
Old 12-30-12, 02:10 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Happy Holidays Guys...!!!

Just to clear up a few things....

Since the last 2008 exhaust revision, there has been NO dimensional changes made to our systems.

This means, there is absolutely NO reason to trim, shave or do anything to the OEM parts of the car.
There also has never been any reason to leave off or remove any of the under braces.

- Especially when installed with the OEM manifolds still in place.. I can not speak for how the system installs when aftermarket headers are present..
But I am very certain it does effect the overall system layout.

From all the experiences I have had, when a true issue exists, it normally reverts back to an installation issue..

If you can grab the exhaust and shake it very hard left to right or up and down... And there is NO thud occurring, then your fine... If you hear a thud, it could be a clearance issue on how the X-Pipe, or Mid-pipe where installed... Usually if there is an issue, it would make a "metallic sound"..
Since it would be a more metal on metal noise..

If the brace that fits under the mid-pipe was left off, because it did not fit.. This tells me that made an error on the mid pipe install... There is a hanger on the driver side right next to the differential that needs to be flipped upward, before they hang the mid pipe.. This allows the system to hang higher up in its proper area... Which then allows the brace to be properly installed...

Also, the flanges have some adjustably.. When loosened, they can be turned up or down on the rear axle sections to give more clearance if necessary..

You are welcome to post more pics here, or send me a PM to further review on how those hangers look currently installed..

We are here to help as much as you need...

If it turns out that everything is "correctly" installed, then you just might be hearing the exhaust rumble or pop.. Especially since we are in the colder months..
(As others have stated)

Best Regards,

~ Joe Z

Below are some photos I just took for you.... There is over a one finger clearance on all the braces and on the drivers side axle section..
Attached Thumbnails Possible Issue after JoeZ exhaust install-photo-9-2.jpg   Possible Issue after JoeZ exhaust install-photo-9-copy.jpg   Possible Issue after JoeZ exhaust install-photo-11.jpg   Possible Issue after JoeZ exhaust install-photo-9.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-30-12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-02-13, 04:47 PM
OneSiCkF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MWhit02
This is what I've come up with.

I got under the car and simply pushed up with little force on the driver side muffler pipe and it is hitting the bottom of the shock mount. There is about maybe a 1/2" or less of travel until they will touch.

I had this same problem and swapped out those bolt screws for slightly longer ones as well as adding 3 washers to give it a bit more clearance. This resolved my issue. Hope this helps..
Old 01-02-13, 10:21 PM
96817isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MWhit02
This is what I've come up with.

I got under the car and simply pushed up with little force on the driver side muffler pipe and it is hitting the bottom of the shock mount. There is about maybe a 1/2" or less of travel until they will touch.

i have that same sound but i could care less about it..lol maybe when i put my car back on the lift again ill take a look at it im just to lazy right now to do ne thing about it especiallty cause imma ge tmy headers installed soon
Old 01-03-13, 12:10 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation FYI for All...

Originally Posted by onesickf
i had this same problem and swapped out those bolt screws for slightly longer ones as well as adding 3 washers to give it a bit more clearance. This resolved my issue. Hope this helps..

Originally Posted by 96817isf
i have that same sound but i could care less about it..lol maybe when i put my car back on the lift again ill take a look at it im just to lazy right now to do ne thing about it especiallty cause imma ge tmy headers installed soon
If the pipe is "installed" to close to that mount, all you have to do is break lose the two drivers side flange bolts (on that axle section only), turn the pipe downward away from that area, till you have approx a one finger gap.. Then re-tighten the flange bolts...

Again, the flange & bolts are slightly adjustable to make sure you have proper clearance in ALL areas during a "proper" installation..

~ Joe Z
Old 01-03-13, 03:21 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe Z do you get a backfires sometimes during very slow decelerations?
Old 01-03-13, 03:24 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Everyone has that pop when u up grade to after market exhaust
Old 06-16-14, 08:07 AM
muenster
Driver School Candidate

I posted this today:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-install.html

Glad I found this thread concerning flipping the hanger around. I thought I did this but maybe I didn't. Have to check. I only have around 1/4 to .5 inch gap betwen the pipes and the cross brace (longer tube one).

Could this throw the dimensions off enought to also cause some of the other noises I am hearing?
Old 06-16-14, 03:23 PM
JM51526
Driver

My money's on a backfire as well. My JoeZ does that occasionally at low rev deceleration. I can feel it as well as hear it. Not a problem in my opinion.
Old 06-17-14, 05:53 AM
muenster
Driver School Candidate

JoeZ - is there anyway to NOT hang the mid-pipe correctly given that the hanger arms are a set distance? In order to simply hang it, would you HAVE to flip the top one up?

I ask as I wasn't the one that hung that section (so not sure it it was flipped up) and I don't want to get under there if the ONLY way to actually get it hung it is by flipping it up.

At this point I am hoping that it can be hung incorrectly so that I can change it.......to get rid of the mid-pipe hitting the cross brace and also so see if the change will be exponential and help with clearance so the driver side muffler is hitting that mount above it.
Old 06-17-14, 12:29 PM
meade916
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you gotta be a real dummy when it comes to cars, to not know the difference between a backfire and a "thud". Sorry...just sayin'
Old 06-17-14, 07:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by muenster
JoeZ - is there anyway to NOT hang the mid-pipe correctly given that the hanger arms are a set distance? In order to simply hang it, would you HAVE to flip the top one up?

I ask as I wasn't the one that hung that section (so not sure it it was flipped up) and I don't want to get under there if the ONLY way to actually get it hung it is by flipping it up.

At this point I am hoping that it can be hung incorrectly so that I can change it.......to get rid of the mid-pipe hitting the cross brace and also so see if the change will be exponential and help with clearance so the driver side muffler is hitting that mount above it.
Yes it can be installed incorrectly.... Happens once in while..

Best advice is get the car on a LIFT and loosen & realign everything..

What you're experiencing on your 2008 IS350 is not normal and is indeed an installer problem.

Thanks

Joe Z
Old 06-23-14, 04:53 AM
muenster
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response.

Got it back up. It was hung correctly on the mid pipe hanger. Loosened and realigned. Was still hitting the tube cross brace, and heat shield past it (between the differential and cross brace) when I shook the hell out of it. So mildly bent the shield away at both ends of it, and added two washer at each bolt location for the cross brace to lower the brace. All issues remedied. Much happier!

At this point I believe the rubber hangers are simply older and allowing for more swing in each direction.
Old 06-23-14, 10:55 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by muenster
Thanks for the response.

Got it back up. It was hung correctly on the mid pipe hanger. Loosened and realigned. Was still hitting the tube cross brace, and heat shield past it (between the differential and cross brace) when I shook the hell out of it. So mildly bent the shield away at both ends of it, and added two washer at each bolt location for the cross brace to lower the brace. All issues remedied. Much happier!

At this point I believe the rubber hangers are simply older and allowing for more swing in each direction.
congrats. Little issues like these can drive one crazy.
Old 06-16-16, 07:04 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I've recently been hearing and to some extent feeling a very similar, small pop upon deceleration with the JoeZ,, mostly when I am completely off the gas and coming to a stop. I've only had the car for a few thousand miles and the JoeZ came on the car, but I don't seem to recall this before a few weeks ago. If I had to guess it sounds like a backfire. Don't notice any shimmy in the engine or in the tach like a miss. Just feels like a little pop in the driver rear exhaust section.

It is mildly annoying, mostly bc I'm hoping it's not a symptom off anything more serious to come.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible Issue after JoeZ exhaust install