IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need HELP! PPE Header install throwing a CEL

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-12, 05:04 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need HELP! PPE Header install throwing a CEL

Before anyone gets me for not searching, I just want to say that I did, but the issue that others are stating is the same with the exception of one thing. So I guess this thread is different?

I got a call today from the Lexus Tech installing my PPE Headers and he mentioned the install was smooth but there was an issue with the o2 simulator/ wiring that comes with the headers. He followed the instructions, but the car throws a CEL for o2 sensor/ catalytic convertor with the wiring plugged into 12v power, but when he removes the 12v power from the supplied wires, the CEL clears and its good to go???

Could this be a faulty wiring issue on the supplied harness or maybe miswired by the installer?
OR
I need an aftermarket cat? Per the instructions, it mentions that I need an aftermarket cat.
OR
Cause im still running the stock exhaust system and that could be causing the CEL?

Any advice is greatly apprecitated, thanks in advance guys!

- Art
Old 12-16-12, 05:48 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is really strange i was throwing codes because i was not getting a good connection with the red power wire. Call up PPE
Old 12-16-12, 07:48 PM
PPEHeaders
Sponsor

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Have them hard wire the ground and power wires instead of using the blue taps and quick disconnects we include in the kit. An inadequate ground connection is the most common issue.

They can call us too if they want. 480-615-7900

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
Before anyone gets me for not searching, I just want to say that I did, but the issue that others are stating is the same with the exception of one thing. So I guess this thread is different?

I got a call today from the Lexus Tech installing my PPE Headers and he mentioned the install was smooth but there was an issue with the o2 simulator/ wiring that comes with the headers. He followed the instructions, but the car throws a CEL for o2 sensor/ catalytic convertor with the wiring plugged into 12v power, but when he removes the 12v power from the supplied wires, the CEL clears and its good to go???

Could this be a faulty wiring issue on the supplied harness or maybe miswired by the installer?
OR
I need an aftermarket cat? Per the instructions, it mentions that I need an aftermarket cat.
OR
Cause im still running the stock exhaust system and that could be causing the CEL?

Any advice is greatly apprecitated, thanks in advance guys!

- Art
Old 12-16-12, 08:03 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

I just had my PPE headers installed a couple of months ago and the install department said that the O2 instructions were incorrect. They had to trace the correct wires from the O2 sensors to the ECU and splice in the O2 sims. I didn't really listen to him because I was so excited but he said something to that effect that if I went exactly as the instructions, I'd have the wiring wrong. Have your tech trace the wires from the secondary O2 sensors so the correct wires are intercepted.
Old 12-17-12, 11:24 AM
zojirushi
Driver

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I just had my PPE headers installed a couple of months ago and the install department said that the O2 instructions were incorrect. They had to trace the correct wires from the O2 sensors to the ECU and splice in the O2 sims. I didn't really listen to him because I was so excited but he said something to that effect that if I went exactly as the instructions, I'd have the wiring wrong. Have your tech trace the wires from the secondary O2 sensors so the correct wires are intercepted.
This is extremely disconcerting. I have the PPE headers installed without any issues but still feel uneasy about this assessment.
Old 12-17-12, 11:57 AM
STGSC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Art

Keep us updated

Matt
Old 12-17-12, 02:09 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I should have my PPE header by end of Jan, I hope this resolve. ToothDoc, please provide more information on what the dealership did vs the PPE instructions.

Thanks
Old 12-17-12, 02:40 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for all the concerns, Im sure every install is different. The issue the Lexus Tech came across was from the wiring, he did exactly as PPE mentioned in the thread and wired the 12+ and Neg direct and then he said after he cleared the codes the CEL didnt come back on. Please keep in mind this was yesturday around 5 ish so I didnt bother to pick up my car. I trusted the Tech to take the car for another day to test drive and work out all the bugs. So hopefully by later on today I will be able to get my car back. I also plan on making a video for those of us, like myself, that were wonderirng what the stock exhaust system would sound like with headers installed. <-- Im sure its raspy but hopefully its tolerable. I'll keep everyone updated and any other input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
Old 12-17-12, 03:17 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
I also plan on making a video for those of us, like myself, that were wonderirng what the stock exhaust system would sound like with headers installed. <-- Im sure its raspy but hopefully its tolerable. I'll keep everyone updated and any other input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
Trust me, it's not raspy with the stock mufflers. As most of you know, my custom fabricated dual system retains the stock mufflers (though modified with two inlets) and there is no drone or rasp. I have also posted a video.

Lou
Old 12-17-12, 07:13 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

I wouldn't be concerned - I didn't post my experience because nobody else seemed to have that issue. It could have also just been the service advisor blowing smoke. But I don't know why they would trace the secondary O2 wires to the pins unless what he was actually saying was correct.

The service manager simply said that what was written on the instructions didn't match what was in my car and would've resulted in the wrong wires being intercepted and a CEL. Maybe it was the wrong color or the wrong numbers? I don't know. I didn't ask specifically. Sorry. I highly doubt he remembers by now anyways.

Sorry that I can't help much - I've got my own problem I'm trying to figure out LOL (car clunking noises)
Old 12-17-12, 10:11 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

headers usually increase the volume of the exhaust.

catback change the tone

removing cats can make car sound sharp and raspy

rule of thumb..but not always true...
Old 12-18-12, 06:32 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

I had the same issues, the installation instructions were transversed so my shop made the switch the CEL went away, It's been almost a year and no problems.
Old 12-18-12, 03:24 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up No more CEL ! ! ! !

^ Not sure what others are mentioning with wiring changes that their shops made? but the Lexus Tech that installed my headers did exactly as PPE mentioned above and used a direct ground and a higher rated +12v fuse and was good to go. So far Im 35 miles into the PPE Header install and its all good with no CEL

I'm loving the new sound and increase in power! Now its time to go shopping for an exhaust!