IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 03:06 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Hello- I answered your questions in bold below.

Originally Posted by Finboy
Newb question regarding the open '08 & '09 to Torsen 10+ differential carrier

A) Is all that is needed is the 2010+ differential carrier to do the swap? Yes it was all I needed in my case. You might need new seals and differential oil.
B) Drive shaft is the same? (length, mounting/hardware) Yes, everything is the same. I reused all nuts and bolts.
C) Side shafts are reused and fit into the 2010+ differential? Yes, they fit just like the 08/09 differential.
D) Does NOT affect traction control or any electronics? It does not impact the traction control or any of the electronics on the car. As far as the "electronic" LSD, this LSD kicks in before it acts. If one wheel completely loses traction the electronic LSD will kick in to send power the other wheel.
E) Any pics of the 08 09 open differential carrier vs the '10+ carrier? (would like to know visual differences when going to a wreckers to identify the Torsen) If you look through the halfshaft holes, i believe it is totally open. You can also identify it by the serial number on the diff. You can find that in this thread I believe.

F) qty 2 new seals and Differential fluid (assuming all that is needed is the '10+ Differential Carrier assembly) My seals were fine that were on the differential and I reused them with no issues. Yes you will need new diff fluid and a pump to get the fluid in.

thanks
Toshi
(virgin post #1)
Another thing to note, if you have an 08/09 and drive around with the traction control completely off and hot dog it all the time, I suggest you go into a parking lot and try some doughnuts after you get the new diff in...the car rotates completely with ease unlike the 08/09 diff and if you are not used to it, you will end up backwards in a ditch or someones car.
Old 01-24-17, 03:25 PM
Finboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merci gracias
Old 06-26-17, 09:01 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Dont mean to bring back an old thread, but anyone have torque specs for installing a whole new carrier??
Old 06-26-17, 09:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

The four big bolts or the whole shooting match?
Old 06-27-17, 10:13 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

4 big bolts and the ones to the driveshaft.
Old 06-27-17, 07:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

This should cover what you need. If you are using polyurethane bushings, ignore the clocking warnings.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics*-differential-bolts.jpg   2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics*-coupling-torque.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Joe Z (05-03-20)
Old 04-05-20, 06:21 PM
Gsxrlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Hello all,

Before I go into the info I would like to thank the members that helped me out directly: "Compthis", "Obby" and "Just F Me". I have to thank "Figs" and "JoeZ" because I used pictures from their threads to help install it.

Today my buddy helped me install a 2010 IS-F Differential Unit into my 2008 IS-F. My buddy is a Head Tech at a Local Lexus Dealership who does side jobs and has a nice workshop at one of his garages at his house.

How was the install?
The install wasn't too surprising. My car is an 08 that has 36k miles on it and sees Chicago winters, so there was surface rust on things. The exhaust was actually the hardest part of the install as the hangers and the metal didn't really want to budge. The second hardest part of the install was getting the axles out of the differential, we used a pry bar and hit the end of the pry bar with a big hammer. We used a transmission jack to hold the differential up while working. We undid the holders for the FSport rear sway bar so that we could access the bolts holding up the diff.

The gear oil that came out of the 08 diff was still clean with 36k miles on it, no build up on the drain plug. The drain plug had lots of surface rust on it though on the outside. The axle splines were fine (not twisted or anything weird like that. The snap rings were still fine after we pulled the axles out from the diff.

After beating on the car coming back, I did notice that I have some small drips of gear oil. I called my buddy and he said that he probably overfilled it with oil and it was coming out from the breather (that was my assumption too). I'll be switching over to my snow tires in the next week or so and will double check things then.

How does it drive/handle?
If the 2008 IS-F or any of the normal IS cars is your first time dealing with rear wheel drive, you are going to be in for a treat. For me personally, after having high powered RWD cars with true LSD, the car finally feels "correct" to me now. Long gone is the side to side shuttering of the E-LSD doing its thing, or the feeling that the car is holding back while you are putting your foot down.

A good example is this: Imagine you are at a red light wanting to turn right and its slightly rainy and maybe 45-50 degrees. You are in sport mode with the traction control off and in D (non-manual). You are looking left and there is finally and opening and you punch it to make it.

In the car with the 08/09 diff: After you punch it you start going, the wheels spin and you start turning. Then the inside wheel (passenger rear) start spinning faster, you feel a shuddering and the car suddenly gets sideways without warning as the E-LSD kicks in to pull you around, you are not making ground now because the car is fighting itself, you have to back off the throttle.

In the car with the 10+ diff: After you punch it you start going, the wheels spin and you start turning. Then the inside wheel (passenger rear) start spinning faster, you feel a small traction loss as the diff kicks super-quickly into action and the outer wheel gets more torque pulling you around. You can give the car more throttle and it starts pulling without traction loss.

Basically with the 2010+ Torsen Diff, the car becomes more predictable and easier to manuever....or if you want to be a Hoonigan, you can get the whole car sideways and steer with your right foot so much easier than the non LSD diff.

This is pretty cool, how do I get a 10+ diff?
"Compthis" is the only other member that I know that has done this mod. He gave me a line to a brand new 2010 IS-F differential that was in a junkyard in Niagra Falls, NY. Check http://car-part.com/ and look for "Carrier" (I was looking for "differential" and not finding anything). You can also purchase a unit for ~5,000 from the dealer....

Are there any other threads on this topic?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hnuts-pic.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-install.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-2010-wow.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-my-is250.html
(this is a different diff install into an is250, however the pictures are good)

Where is your 08 Diff now? Is it for sale? I want to buy it from you to install an OS Gikken Unit so I won't have downtime in my car
I have my 36k Mile 08 Diff for sale if anyone wants it....shoot me any price you want.

Where are the pictures? (description below pic)
Attachment 429635
Rear section off, looking underneath the car.

Attachment 429636
Another shot underneath the car with old rear diff still in.

Attachment 429637
Rear exhaust section on the ground and new 2010 Diff.

Attachment 429638
Fuzzy picture of the rear FSport bar mountless and dropped down to get at screws.

Attachment 429639
Better shot of the rear FSport bar mountless and dropped down to get at screws.

Attachment 429640
08 Diff getting ready to come out.

Attachment 429641
Closer shot of 08 diff on trans jack getting ready to come out.

Disconnecting bolts and diff.

Attachment 429642
08 Diff out and 10 Diff sitting on trans jack, putting lube on seals.

Attachment 429643
08 Diff out and 10 Diff sitting on trans jack, putting lube on seals.

I told myself that I wasn't going to modify this car....bought it used with Ceritified Pre-owned..however the LSD unit is something that should have been given to us from the factory...
I apologize for not having more pictures...I was actually helping do the work :-D
Also, Obby you are crazy for doing this on your back on jackstands lol

How do you seperate the half shafts from the diff
Old 04-05-20, 06:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Just pry them out. No magic. Sometimes easier with a 2 lb hammer and brass drift.