IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I need to replace my tires. Where do I go.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 06:52 AM
2012ISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need to replace my tires. Where do I go.

Where do I go for the best deal. I have a 2012.
Old 11-29-12, 07:00 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mavis from my experience has the cheapest prices, even cheaper than TireRack. What tires are you planning to get? Do you run summer performance all year round?
Old 11-29-12, 07:01 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Have you been tracking your car or do you just drive a heck of a lot? How do you need a tire replacement in less than a year?

At any rate, there probably is no one "best" place to get your tires. I've found my local tire shops are more likely to work out a good deal if you also use them to do the mounting and balancing rather than ordering something from the Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct. You definitely will get the worst price if you just take it up to your Lexus dealership though, so don't do that. I'd jump online and find a couple of the smaller independent shops in your area. They can usually order tires at a cost lower than you can get them and work a deal with you. I picked up my last two fronts (Bridgestone RE050A) from a shop just like this for about $100 less total than I would have gotten them anywhere else.
Old 11-29-12, 07:14 AM
2012ISF
Driver

I put on 40,000 miles in 1 year. Steel belts are showing lol! With global warming in full effect, yes I will be doing the summer tires. My mechanic quoted me $320 per tire i think. I got screwed on my brake parts so I wanted the best deal on tires to make up for it.
Old 11-29-12, 08:09 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you plan to drift in the snow, if so summer tires are best.
Old 11-29-12, 08:27 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I just picked up 2 Michelin PSS from Discount Tire Direct for just a bit cheaper than Tirerack. The tire actually cost more, but with free shipping they just beat out Tirerack and I received them in 2 days. I didn't go local because I figured tax would put them over buying online. But I didn't shop it either.
Old 11-29-12, 08:54 AM
2012ISF
Driver

Thanks Phi! U da man!
Old 11-29-12, 10:25 AM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just don't go to the dealership to get your tires...
Old 11-29-12, 12:28 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Costco Online
Old 11-29-12, 12:49 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
It all depends on the dealership... my coworker and I were just talking about this yesterday. The service manager at the Lexus dealership he goes to told him that they'll match any price he finds online. Also, he'll throw in a free alignment but you have to pay for mounting and balancing obviously.

I usually get my tires from tirerack just because they have a warehouse in Reno so tires are on my door step with in one or two days with ground shipping. Also, if you talk to your local tire shops (I have wheel techniques, big o tires, and good year with in a mile of my house), some shops won't mount tires that aren't bought from them, but if you go to a mom and pop type of place, they'll usually do it for a good price. Any place you take tires or buy tires from that'll mount and balance, you still have to caution them to be careful with your wheels.
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

I buy mine at the local Discount Tire Store. They do the install, and they'll sell you insurance (if you're inclined to buy road hazard insurance) so your tires are fully guaranteed, plus, the insurance is good at any Discount Tire store.

Honestly, I don't buy the insurance for the F because I track the car, but I do buy it for the wife's car and it has paid for itself a few times over.

Discount Tire/America's Tire Store have slightly higher prices than Tire Rack, but after shipping and sales tax get included in my Tire Rack quote, DT is cheaper. The fact they also install (and fix flats free) works for me.
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
The dealership that I currently go to price matches anyone on tires. My old dealership had a big banner that said they price matched...only they wouldn't...@$$holes.

Funniest thing is both dealers are part of the same corporation.

My advice is to ask around and see what the best deal you can get is.
Old 11-29-12, 02:00 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
It all depends on the dealership... my coworker and I were just talking about this yesterday. The service manager at the Lexus dealership he goes to told him that they'll match any price he finds online. Also, he'll throw in a free alignment but you have to pay for mounting and balancing obviously.

I usually get my tires from tirerack just because they have a warehouse in Reno so tires are on my door step with in one or two days with ground shipping. Also, if you talk to your local tire shops (I have wheel techniques, big o tires, and good year with in a mile of my house), some shops won't mount tires that aren't bought from them, but if you go to a mom and pop type of place, they'll usually do it for a good price. Any place you take tires or buy tires from that'll mount and balance, you still have to caution them to be careful with your wheels.
This is true. When I had my GT-R, I told my Nissan dealer I was buying tires from Tirerack and they said they'd match it. Saved about $500. I now use their GT-R tech to do EVERYTHING to my car. He put my springs, spacers and aligned it for $200 when Lexus wanted nearly $1400 for all of that. I've now become great friends with this guy and take him to meets and drives. He'll mount and balance 4 tires for $30. Point being, it never hurts to check the dealership. You might develop good relationships and find people who you can trust to do work on your car for a buddy price.
Old 11-29-12, 03:57 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I buy mine at the local Discount Tire Store. They do the install, and they'll sell you insurance (if you're inclined to buy road hazard insurance) so your tires are fully guaranteed, plus, the insurance is good at any Discount Tire store.

Honestly, I don't buy the insurance for the F because I track the car, but I do buy it for the wife's car and it has paid for itself a few times over.

Discount Tire/America's Tire Store have slightly higher prices than Tire Rack, but after shipping and sales tax get included in my Tire Rack quote, DT is cheaper. The fact they also install (and fix flats free) works for me.
Lance and I are together on this one. I have been going to them for years. On my last visit, they did something I totally did not expect. I bought a set of Continental Extreme DW from my local Discount Tire store. With about 8K miles on them, I couldn't stand the sing they made; it drove me crazy. Continental's customer service was horrible. As a next step I took them back to Discount Tire, they gave me full credit on them and only charged me the difference to upgrade to Bridgestone Potenza S-04. The S-04 is a much better tire and Discount Tire's customer service was outstanding

Lou
Old 11-29-12, 05:18 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Lance and I are together on this one. I have been going to them for years. On my last visit, they did something I totally did not expect. I bought a set of Continental Extreme DW from my local Discount Tire store. With about 8K miles on them, I couldn't stand the sing they made; it drove me crazy. Continental's customer service was horrible. As a next step I took them back to Discount Tire, they gave me full credit on them and only charged me the difference to upgrade to Bridgestone Potenza S-04. The S-04 is a much better tire and Discount Tire's customer service was outstanding

Lou
I agree with Lou. My local Discount Tire flips my snows and summer tires every year for free. They also repair flats for free and do tire rotations on my wife's Highlander for free. The F always creates a stir when I take it in, BTW - they love it.

Quick Reply: I need to replace my tires. Where do I go.