IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Depreciation After 3IS Release

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 01:50 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default IS-F Depreciation After 3IS Release

Backstory: I'm looking to sell my IS350 before year end primarily because my warranty just ran out, but also because I'd like to avoid the depreciation hit when the 3IS is released early next year. So, I'm looking for a new car and the IS-F, M3, and E63 AMG are at the top of my list. I'd like to stay in the Lexus family, so I'd say the IS-F is the one I'm most interested in.

I'm wondering what you guys think will happen to the value of the IS-F once the 3rd generation IS is released early next year (with the next gen IS-F presumably to follow in 2014 or 2015). Do you guys think the depreciation hit will be larger on a percentage basis with the IS-F vs. the 2IS?

If I do go with the IS-F, I'd like either a CPO, or 2011 model year (which would still be under the factory warranty for a year or two). Thoughts?
Old 11-28-12, 01:54 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

It not going to depreciate much, the new ISF going to be more power and cost much more if they choose to do 450hp+. So get your F now while u can 2011 and up has LSD differential and the new headlight, 2012 and up new rims too.
Old 11-28-12, 02:40 PM
Wakemaker8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the 2010's got the LSD as well? I just bought a CPO 2010 with 15k miles and covered for 3 years/100k
Old 11-28-12, 02:40 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

I forgot to mention, my plan is to get the next generation IS-F or GS-F when it comes out, hence my interest in not getting hit by depreciation too much on a car that will likely be with me for only 2-4 years.
Old 11-28-12, 02:49 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Here a lexus facebook just won the award for resale best value on Kellybluebook

http://www.facebook.com/lexus
Old 11-28-12, 02:51 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakemaker8
I thought the 2010's got the LSD as well? I just bought a CPO 2010 with 15k miles and covered for 3 years/100k
2010+ has the LSD.

In my opinion, the first gen IS-F will probably be a better drivers car than the new F that will be coming out.

No doubt the new F will increase in price and possibly have lower production numbers.
Old 11-28-12, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
2010+ has the LSD.

In my opinion, the first gen IS-F will probably be a better drivers car than the new F that will be coming out.

No doubt the new F will increase in price and possibly have lower production numbers.
Care to explain? New GS has an amazing chassis and driving dynamics and now dominates it's segment. 3IS is slated to follow suit. New F can only build on better
Old 11-28-12, 06:15 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL...if you're worried about depreciation, then why are you buying a car in the first place? That's just silly.

BTW, no one is going to know anything about car values. I'm sure if people knew their first generation e30 m3 was going to be worth a boat load of money, they would be buying it to keep it.

If you're worried about car values, go buy yourself a Porsche 993 911 Turbo....that car will hold it's value. Hell...any classic Porsche will hold it's value that's a 911. Or go buy a GT3 RS 4.0 if you want something special....lol.

Depreciation...LOL. Do you buy a car and not drive it because you're afraid the mileage will affect your resell value?
Old 11-28-12, 06:36 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by Just F Me
LOL...if you're worried about depreciation, then why are you buying a car in the first place? That's just silly.

BTW, no one is going to know anything about car values. I'm sure if people knew their first generation e30 m3 was going to be worth a boat load of money, they would be buying it to keep it.

If you're worried about car values, go buy yourself a Porsche 993 911 Turbo....that car will hold it's value. Hell...any classic Porsche will hold it's value that's a 911. Or go buy a GT3 RS 4.0 if you want something special....lol.

Depreciation...LOL. Do you buy a car and not drive it because you're afraid the mileage will affect your resell value?
Like I already said, I'm planning to own my next car for only 2-4 years, which is why I'm asking about depreciation since a new generation will hit during that time frame. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one on earth who cares about making relatively smart financial decisions.
Old 11-28-12, 06:55 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

First, I don't think the IS-F's value is going to be greatly affected by the release of the 3IS next year. I also don't think the value is going to drop dramatically when the new IS-F is released (whenever that might be) because like others have already said, it appears that the price point might be a little higher than the current IS-F. The GS-F is going to likely be very expensive.

I also would not worry a whole lot about finding a CPO, because you can purchase a warranty for this car for a very low price. Your warranty will definitely cover you the 2-4 years that you think you'll keep the car. The bottom line is that your car will lose value between now and whenever you decide to make a jump, but if you buy something used with low mileage now and take good care of it, you'll be able to sell it a few years down the road for a good price.
Old 11-28-12, 07:05 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Care to explain? New GS has an amazing chassis and driving dynamics and now dominates it's segment. 3IS is slated to follow suit. New F can only build on better
Sure, no problem.

Due to our disgusting liberal government and our nanny state, every new car is going to be heavier, larger (average American is overweight) and more expensive (traction control and backup cameras standard, 250 Air bags, etc).

Line up an mid 90's Honda Accord Sedan with a 2013 Honda Civic Sedan and the Civic would be huge in comparison. Same with the first M3 versus the latest M3. Hell the new 3 Series is almost the size of the late 90's early 2000's 5 Series.

A good example of this is when the 4th Generation 4Runner had the last of the V8's and the new 5th generation 4Runner came out. You couldn't find a new V8 on a lot to save your life because everyone knew they were the last of the V8's..CAFE regulation hit the 4Runner hard.

Next sports car that stays in the garage most of the time, for me, will be either a 996 GT3 or a C6 Z06.

Regardless of how many awesome technologies cars have now a days, you can't fight physics.
The ZL1 Camaro handles great, but when its over 4000lbs you are getting up there...
Old 11-28-12, 07:27 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

^^ I kinda agree with the original ISF being a better DD for at least a year or so. Just look at the suspension in an 08. It took a few years to dial that all in. So moving to a new platform will absolutely have some quirks (who knows what kind) the first MY or two.

Right now I think the best bet is a '10. Then in 2 years or so go for the second MY for the new F.

But the value on the 08's will continue to come down in price the most...simply because they usually have the highest mileage.
Old 11-28-12, 09:12 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I must say... this first generation IS-F will have the best resale value over all since this is the very first IS-F ever built. But that is, after 30 years!
Old 11-28-12, 09:18 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Sure, no problem.

Due to our disgusting liberal government and our nanny state, every new car is going to be heavier, larger (average American is overweight) and more expensive (traction control and backup cameras standard, 250 Air bags, etc).

Line up an mid 90's Honda Accord Sedan with a 2013 Honda Civic Sedan and the Civic would be huge in comparison. Same with the first M3 versus the latest M3. Hell the new 3 Series is almost the size of the late 90's early 2000's 5 Series.

A good example of this is when the 4th Generation 4Runner had the last of the V8's and the new 5th generation 4Runner came out. You couldn't find a new V8 on a lot to save your life because everyone knew they were the last of the V8's..CAFE regulation hit the 4Runner hard.

Next sports car that stays in the garage most of the time, for me, will be either a 996 GT3 or a C6 Z06.

Regardless of how many awesome technologies cars have now a days, you can't fight physics.
The ZL1 Camaro handles great, but when its over 4000lbs you are getting up there...
Pretty sure you just made this up, save for the last one (more expensive), but that's obvious to anyone and has nothing to do with a "nanny state" (whatever that means).

Traction control and backup cameras have never been high priorities of the government, so again you're just making stuff up.

If anything, you might expect automakers to go with lighter, more fuel efficient cars in the future with lower displacement forced induction engines or otherwise (either with turbos or full battery/hybrid systems) due to increasing CAFE standards and penalties for not reaching average MPG milestones.

You are correct to cite CAFE standards as having an impact on cars, but the rest of your concerns (traction control? backup camera? heavier cars?) have little to nothing to do with governmental pressure.
Old 11-28-12, 09:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sure, no problem.

Ok, I hear you there, but there are some automakers who are bucking the trend. Newest Camry vs older Camry is now lighter. GS gained virtually no weight over it's predecessor, Porsche Cayenne shed 400lbs vs last gen, and the newest Range Rover dropped nearly 700lbs over its predecessor. Also keep in mind once materials like CF can be mass produced this should also help with weight. But yes for the most part, new tech and safety does increase weight

Quick Reply: IS-F Depreciation After 3IS Release