IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Plasti dipped my emblems and grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 07:14 PM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm tips look nice, it doesn't melt off? How many coats did you put on?
Old 11-24-12, 07:21 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Just used the last of the can on the license plate holder, going to go pick up another spray can and dip can for when I redo the grill. Is it easier to do the tips on the car or should I remove them and spray them?

Old 11-24-12, 08:14 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the blacked out accents, looks good!
Old 11-24-12, 08:29 AM
mattjk
Driver

looks good, but doesn't it rub off easily? like during a car wash?
Old 11-24-12, 08:38 AM
Wakemaker8
Driver

It actually holds up really well. I had the flat panel on the trunk of my camaro coated in plasti dip and ran it through the carwash all the time without any problems of peeling.
Old 11-24-12, 10:28 AM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great, I've done the same exact thing and all my pieces have held up for almost a year. With plastidip available I dont know why anyone would waste their money on black pearl emblems.
Old 11-24-12, 10:58 AM
fasttexasz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by farpetrad
Just used the last of the can on the license plate holder, going to go pick up another spray can and dip can for when I redo the grill. Is it easier to do the tips on the car or should I remove them and spray them?

I did mine with them on the car jut masked off about an inch around and just peeled off the over spray and they came out great.
Old 11-24-12, 06:01 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had it on my tips for months now. I think someone else is close to a year on the tips. Still looks perfect. I did about 4 coats on everything and I don't even have 1 rock chip anywhere. This stuff seems tougher than paint. I also go thru a car wash about once a week. Still perfect.
Old 11-25-12, 06:46 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Ok did the tips, man I need someone with smaller fingers to get some of the oversrpay from bettween the tip and the car but it looks good. Did you spray into the tip also, I taped the inner part off so only some spray went in, might have to respray that.

It looks like theres chrome showing but thats just from the sun glare, will get some better close up pics after I go wash the car today. Also I read the thread where people blacked out the window trim with the kit for the mini, but has anyone actually tried spraying the chrome with plasti dip? I was looking this morning and it looks like it will work but was wondering if anyone has tried before I give that a shot.
Old 11-25-12, 01:11 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I did spray the inside of my tips as well. I did not do my window trim because the chrome kind of blends with my white car and isn't very noticeable.
Old 11-25-12, 09:03 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by farpetrad
Ok did the tips, man I need someone with smaller fingers to get some of the oversrpay from bettween the tip and the car but it looks good. Did you spray into the tip also, I taped the inner part off so only some spray went in, might have to respray that.

It looks like theres chrome showing but thats just from the sun glare, will get some better close up pics after I go wash the car today. Also I read the thread where people blacked out the window trim with the kit for the mini, but has anyone actually tried spraying the chrome with plasti dip? I was looking this morning and it looks like it will work but was wondering if anyone has tried before I give that a shot.
Looks great! I also has my tips done several months ago. I didn't bother taping off the inside of the tips and as it turns out the Plastidip started to flake off from the inside probably due to the thinning coats but the outside is still holding up like new. As phideltbee mentioned 4 coats does the trick. Use a toothpick to scrape out the excess!

As for the window trim, it is definitely possible to Plastidip it but it is a lot of work. If you don't mind meticulously taping off the entire span of the window trim and carefully peeling off the overspray then go for it! I think it would actually be a cleaner look than using the Mini Cooper tape since you won't have the overlap-look that goes with it. Either way good luck!

Last edited by Boma; 11-25-12 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 08:31 AM
farpetrad
Pole Position

Redid the tips

Old 11-26-12, 03:36 PM
bradhop15
Driver

I did the tips on mine and after about 2 weeks it turned to powder in some spots and started falling off. I think maybe because I have the Joe Z exhaust the tips get hotter because more heat makes it out of the back without the secondary cats. I put several coats on.
Old 11-27-12, 05:53 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I have no mufflers or cats and mine has been fine since summer time.
Old 11-28-12, 03:25 AM
bradhop15
Driver

Weird. I wonder why mine did that. It wasn't lifting or anything, it just kinda turned to dust.

Quick Reply: Plasti dipped my emblems and grill