IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thinking of trading my e60 m5 for IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-12, 12:42 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i unfortunately went the other way around...08 isf to 08 m5. i did this because we had a baby and the isf just didnt have the room we really needed for everyday situations (and the m5 had depreciated so much faster that i didnt have to shell out much more money, as opposed to some of the other cars we were considering). While we like the M5 OK, I REALLY miss the isf and felt it was a much more fun car overall to drive, with a smoother transmission and better power delivery. The rear room is lacking in my opinion, and I hope that is improved next time around, but there were plenty of times people were OK in the back seat for short trips. I think you will be happy overall with the switch and won't miss too much about the M5. Just make sure to sell those Radenergie wheels to someone on m5board...great looking wheel and people love those over there.
Old 11-05-12, 05:21 PM
nonford
Rookie

I just traded my 08 M6 for the F, well 3 months ago. NO REGRETS, and when I push the Start button,, i dont hesitate to hear the BMW dong (error) any more. My experience is that the F can get a jump on the 6, however, after 100 its all M6. All in all, I am extremely pleased with the F. And go figure, I was really set on getting a 2012 M3. Then I tested an F. In reality, the F is a more practical car compared to the M5/6 for daily driving for my lifestyle. Additionally, for 3 months now, I have not had a mechanical problem or error. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 11-05-12, 05:40 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Wait until u get header and full exhaust , intake lolz
Old 11-05-12, 06:31 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome. I also cross-shopped the M5 & ISF last year, but ended up with the ISF because of the reliability aspect. Heard about too many issues with the M's... and also noticed the vast increase of M's for sale directly after the warranty period. You mentioned that you'll have one car.. the ISF is a great DD because it's comfortable and at the same time has low end torque. And let me tell you, the ISF with aftermarket exhaust, whether it's muffler/cat delete, ISSForged, JoeZ, Borla... just sounds insane.

Also, if you haven't already, ask this question bimmerpost.com ... just curious to see what the M owners would say in this situation.
Old 11-06-12, 02:19 AM
G9N
Driver

Originally Posted by thewraith1
He was referring to the M5, sprint booster remaps throttle control and the "M" button is like the "sport" button on the lexus.
I could be wrong but I believe the M mode gives them 100HP boost. 500hp max output in M mode 400hp max without.

I test drove the M3 sedan and that was comparable interior space wise to the F. I will say the F has the same torque delivery that my GTO did but with more top end. Space wise it fit 3 adults 5' 10". However, I'm 5' 10" and the seat behind me would be pretty useless for someone who's taller than about 5' unless I were to move my seat somewhat forward and compromise my driving position.
Old 11-06-12, 06:15 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by G9N
I could be wrong but I believe the M mode gives them 100HP boost. 500hp max output in M mode 400hp max without.

I test drove the M3 sedan and that was comparable interior space wise to the F. I will say the F has the same torque delivery that my GTO did but with more top end. Space wise it fit 3 adults 5' 10". However, I'm 5' 10" and the seat behind me would be pretty useless for someone who's taller than about 5' unless I were to move my seat somewhat forward and compromise my driving position.
correct. it's a v8 with 400 hp without the m button.
Old 11-06-12, 05:28 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i can chime in a bit. m5/m6 were other cars i was looking at while buying the F. my best friend drives a low mileage m6 that you can see in the background of the pic below. he even said himself he is kicking himself in the *** that he didn't the isf. fit and finish, we both agree the lexus edges the bimmer out. the isf has a more "updated" look with the gauges, navi, etc. also my isf edges him out from a stop and barely gets beat from a roll which is great since the s85 engine is a v10 500hp. tranny for tranny , lexus is better than his smg, smoother...etc.

yes you can fit four adults 6feet and under. but not comfortably, lol. smaller interior is sportier, you dont feel like you are driving a boat like the m5. but if you need 4 seats all the time, i would say dont even look at the ISF.

m5 is a beautiful car but my conclusion is that the F can be an upgrade to the right buyer if you are coming from m5/m6.

Ditto on what was said. The Ms are nice but I do not miss the bimmer at all.
Old 11-06-12, 07:37 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boma
The room in the back is decent. I would say you can fit an average sized person back there comfortably, but 2 people might be too cramped. I'll let the other members here with little children chime in about car seats.
Are two carseats realistic in F?
Old 11-06-12, 10:55 PM
Petshark
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ yes, definitely realistic. I have two car seats in the back a lot of the time. They love it too. They always say faster faster haha
Old 11-07-12, 05:39 AM
thewraith1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback. I test drove a buddy's '11 is-f yesterday since he is also interested in trading for an m5.

Iniital thoughts: I love the tach setup on the Lexus and the technology is great. The front seats are supportive and I like that you don't slip around in them like you do on the m5 (lucky I have active seats). The IS-F was awesome for what it was, but more likened to an m3 (yes, I know the m3 is the competitor).

Driving the two back to back was a great idea. The power of the IS-F was there and delivered beautifully, but after running the two (he had i/e/h and m5 has e) on the parkway from a roll about 10 times in a row, the M5 was consistently MUCH faster at any speed. He was running it in non "m" mode when he first drove it and thought that I was just messing with him, the runs in non "m" mode were pretty much even for both cars. He's an SCCA licensed instructor and after a few runs driving the M5, was shifting it like I never thought was possible.

The transmission in the IS-F is a huge improvement over the M5's and I wish that a DCT was offered in the e60 m5, it took a while for me to get used to the smg and I HATED it for the first 2 weeks. Now I'm used to it.

Ali was sold after driving the M5 (he's texted me mercilessly all night), me- not so much. I think I will try to sell the M5 after the winter and go for an '08 IS-F (mpg's have me sold) and perhaps another "fun car" on the side, wait it out for the GS-F, or just go with another (third) GT-R and get a Prius on the side. I have absolutely no issues ddng the GT-R. I've been spoiled by fi and miss the easy modification and fun factor of turbos.

Last edited by thewraith1; 11-07-12 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-07-12, 12:51 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Thanks for all the feedback. I test drove a buddy's '11 is-f yesterday since he is also interested in trading for an m5.

Iniital thoughts: I love the tach setup on the Lexus and the technology is great. The front seats are supportive and I like that you don't slip around in them like you do on the m5 (lucky I have active seats). The IS-F was awesome for what it was, but more likened to an m3 (yes, I know the m3 is the competitor).

Driving the two back to back was a great idea. The power of the IS-F was there and delivered beautifully, but after running the two (he had i/e/h and m5 has e) on the parkway from a roll about 10 times in a row, the M5 was consistently MUCH faster at any speed. He was running it in non "m" mode when he first ran it and thought that I was just messing with him, the runs in non "m" mode were pretty much even for both cars. He's an SCCA licensed instructor and after a few runs driving the M5, was shifting it like I never thought was possible.

The transmission in the IS-F is a huge improvement over the M5's and I wish that a DCT was offered in the e60 m5, it took a while for me to get used to the smg and I HATED it for the first 2 weeks. Now I'm used to it.

Ali was sold after driving the M5 (he's texted me mercilessly all night), me- not so much. I think I will try to sell the M5 after the winter and go for an '08 IS-F (mpg's have me sold) and perhaps another "fun car" on the side, wait it out for the GS-F, or just go with another (third) GT-R and get a Prius on the side. I have absolutely no issues ddng the GT-R. I've been spoiled by fi and miss the easy modification and fun factor of turbos.
Good luck whichever way you decide. The cars you are considering(and own) are all in their own rights great cars, so you can't go wrong with any choice you make. It just comes down to a personal preference.
Old 11-07-12, 04:01 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Driving the two back to back was a great idea. The power of the IS-F was there and delivered beautifully, but after running the two (he had i/e/h and m5 has e) on the parkway from a roll about 10 times in a row, the M5 was consistently MUCH faster at any speed. He was running it in non "m" mode when he first drove it and thought that I was just messing with him, the runs in non "m" mode were pretty much even for both cars. He's an SCCA licensed instructor and after a few runs driving the M5, was shifting it like I never thought was possible.

Great choices all around.

Just a quick note, I believe the '10+ ISFs have a true limited slip differential that makes an enormous difference in handling near the limit. The '08-09 ISFs are exactly the same power-wise (in a straight line), but don't have an LSD.

If you care about driving around twisties near the limit, you might want to go for the '10+ ISF instead of the '08 ISF.