IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New tires already?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 01:45 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New tires already?!

I bought my car brand new in February this year and just took it in this morning for my 10k mile service (car has 9900 miles on it). I noticed at the bottom of the paper work it stated the rears were down to the wear bars. Low and behold I checked them, and although not flush, they're getting close. Car came with Michelin PS2's. Oddly enough, there is no inner tire wear on the fronts or rears. Maybe I need to tame my driving a bit? I don't constantly romp it from stop light to stop light, but I occasionally like to get the rear loose when given the chance. I've also never tracked the car, but done 2 or 3 spirited drives with my local caffeine and gasoline group. I was really hoping to get 15k-20k out of this set. Does this seem premature to you guys?
Old 10-08-12, 02:06 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Less than 10K does seem a bit premature, even for the PS2s, unless you were tracking/drag racing your car (which you weren't). I had PS2s on a different car and got more than 10K out of them... though they do seem to wear faster than the Bridgestone RE050As I currently have on my ISF. It's hard to compare tires on different cars though.

If I were you, I'd replace them with Pilot Super Sports or maybe the Bridgestones, then get the car aligned (and make sure you've got proper tire pressures of course).
Old 10-08-12, 02:12 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Yeah, I plan on the PSS's next, but I'd like to try and stretch these out a few thousand more miles. They still feel great in the rear and I have to force them to get loose. For best tire life is 36psi the best route? I believe that's my approximate settings. I know with the colder temps approaching, they will seem to be worse than they are. Also, how much longer should I be able to go fairly safe with them being flush to the wear bars?
Old 10-08-12, 02:34 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

If they feel grippy, you're probably in good shape... but you don't want to be caught somewhere in bad weather (rain or snow) and then have your rears give out on you unexpectedly either. You want at least 2/32nds of depth on your inner grooves/contact patch. The old trick is to put a penny in the tread and if you can see the top of Lincoln's head, your tread is probably too low. Some guy in another thread claimed he got over 50K miles out of his tires, though that is something I'd have to see to believe. Either way, 10K is very quick for normal to normal-aggressive driving.

BTW I keep my tire pressure at 36-37psi as well.
Old 10-08-12, 07:08 PM
Franch1se
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea 10k miles seems premature for the PS2s. I got 15k on mine and I think I can still get a little more out of them. If we hit the track this coming Sat for the meet in Richmond I will definitely need to replace them out. I plan on getting the PSS next.
Old 10-08-12, 09:01 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I think I'm gonna run them as long as possible. Did the penny test and it right at his head. I'll just tame it down for a few thousand miles. Should I run lower or higher psi to prolong them?
Old 10-08-12, 09:52 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I replaced my PS2s at 13.5K miles because I put on larger tires. They probably still had 3 or 4K miles left on them. Just remember the old rule of thumb. 90% of all tire failures occur in the last 10% of the tires life. For me, it's words to live by.

Lou
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-12, 05:19 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
Yeah, I plan on the PSS's next,
Just fyi, I'm nearly through my first set of PSSs already. Bought them in July last year, and I have put roughly 19,000 miles on them. I rarely take off from lights, but I have certainly had a moment or two. And, there have been a few moments of hammering it from about 20-30 mph where the back-end will break loose (those are fun ).

These are supposed to be 30k-mile tires (under normal driving conditions of course), so I'm REALLY hoping to get another 5k if I can. Personally, I'm not as high on them as other have been, but I'm running stock size on an '08 will no handling mods. So take that for what it's worth.

I'm thinking about trying the Nitto Invos next. Some of the guys on here have raved about them, and they're "cheap". I figure by Christmas I'll be due for the tires, so perhaps I can make these a "gift".
Old 10-09-12, 06:27 AM
madastep
Pole Position

I have the PSS, they are just now starting to slip after about 20k miles
Old 10-09-12, 06:34 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I'm hoping to get to next Spring on these (maybe 5 more months). Sounds like the PSS are getting a bit more miles out of them. I was hoping to get to 20k on the PS2's. My problem now is, the fronts are good, but I want to change all them out at the same time since I might go up in size.
Old 10-09-12, 10:24 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by madastep
I have the PSS, they are just now starting to slip after about 20k miles
Then you're not having enough fun driving.
Old 10-09-12, 02:49 PM
scrosby
Driver

My PSS's have appx 14k on them and are getting close to needing replacement. With the upgrade to the Borla catback exhaust 3k miles ago, these tires had no chance. They started slipping right after the upgrade in power. UPS just dropped off my new PSS's. I ordered a larger tire, 275/30/19, so hopefully this will give me some extra grip and I won't shred these ones so quickly.
Old 10-09-12, 03:36 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i know the ps2 don't last that long but that is a very short time. you might want to check your alignment specs. just saying.
Old 10-10-12, 08:25 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
i know the ps2 don't last that long but that is a very short time. you might want to check your alignment specs. just saying.
This car has been aligned 3-4 times already including a front subframe (still pulls to the right). I'm putting the adjustable SPC camber bolts in tomorrow night (although I believe the caster is the main culprit). We're going to try to offset the caster by adjusting the camber to go left as much as the caster goes right (if that makes sense...offset the 2). As for the rear, the alignment seems fine. There is no inner or outer premature wear. Seems to be more in the center of the tire.
Old 10-10-12, 10:41 AM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

My stock ps2's lasted around 27k with a little more life left but my front inner was worn out. But i do a lot of highway driving so that's probably why they lasted longer for me. So if u do a lot of city driving, i would assume they'd last about half of what i got out of them.

I updated to the PSS stock size. In the wet it's awesome because it does a good job of resisting hydroplaning. Dry is so-so which i'm pretty unhappy about because the rear gets pretty loose most of the time. But pretty good balance overall. I'll probably try a different tire next.

Quick Reply: New tires already?!