IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Pondering some exhaust ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 10:24 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Pondering some exhaust ideas

The car is an 08 IS-F, purchased from a board member here. He had a custom exhaust setup on the car, running Corsa mufflers. Stock cats, but from the cats back, it is dual pipes running into Corsa mufflers. From looking at pictures of stock IS-F exhaust, it looks like it's either the stock resonator or secondary cat that was removed when he had the exhaust work done?

The exhaust has a nice tone to it but I'm looking for something a little louder. I have owned several Vettes and other LS1 cars as well and this got me thinking. I was considering having some SLP loud mouth bullet mufflers installed in places of the larger Corsa mufflers. What are your opinions on this? Car does have stock headers and still has the first set of cats, so I don't know that the sound would be too raspy but the secondary cat or resonator (whichever it is) was removed.

I don't want too raspy but definitely something more aggressive than the Corsa's I'm running. If any of you have heard an LS1 car with SLP loud mouths, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 09-27-12, 10:33 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Add after market header that the sound and performance u r looking for
Old 09-27-12, 10:37 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Not really looking to spend that kind of money. Although the added power of headers would be nice, it's not a priority right now. A set of bullet mufflers can be had for a couple hundred dollars and might change the tone of the car quite a bit which is why I was considering that.
Old 09-27-12, 11:53 AM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few people on here I believe just got rid of the mufflers, go that route. Straight pipes are where its at.
Old 09-27-12, 12:03 PM
robbys3m3
Driver

i would check out phideltbeers thread on his exhaust. ive heard it in person and I think it is great both inside and outside the car.
Old 09-27-12, 01:12 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Straight pipes ftw
Old 09-27-12, 01:33 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK9887
...it looks like it's either the stock resonator or secondary cat that was removed ...Car does have stock headers and still has the first set of cats, so I don't know that the sound would be too raspy but the secondary cat or resonator (whichever it is) was removed...
I don't have any real advice but just wanted to help clarify about the cats. The are 2 sets: the first being in the headers, and the second set are the ones you're seeing up-front just before the y-pipe meets up. The other bulky bits are resonators.

Removing that 2nd set of cats will give you more volume for sure. I'd recommend trying to meetup with some other F owners and seeing what exhausts appeal to you the most. Then you can figure out how to modify what you have to get closer to that based on their design. But it kinda sounds like you'd enjoy testpipes all the way back.
Old 09-27-12, 01:42 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anxiouz
I don't have any real advice but just wanted to help clarify about the cats. The are 2 sets: the first being in the headers, and the second set are the ones you're seeing up-front just before the y-pipe meets up. The other bulky bits are resonators.

Removing that 2nd set of cats will give you more volume for sure. I'd recommend trying to meetup with some other F owners and seeing what exhausts appeal to you the most. Then you can figure out how to modify what you have to get closer to that based on their design. But it kinda sounds like you'd enjoy testpipes all the way back.
Ok, so it sounds like both set of cats are still there ( a total of 4) and the single can resonator was removed... I'm hesitant to remove the cats due to any check engine lights that may come on. I haven't done enough research yet to figure out where the 02 sensors are...
Old 09-27-12, 01:52 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

02 sensors are before you cats so you'd be fine. Chop off those cats and straight pipes instead of the mufflers. I had it like that and LOOOVED the sound
Old 09-27-12, 01:54 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click here
Old 09-27-12, 02:13 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Straight pipes. I'll post up vids of mine and a review for you later tonight.
Old 09-27-12, 02:17 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
02 sensors are before you cats so you'd be fine. Chop off those cats and straight pipes instead of the mufflers. I had it like that and LOOOVED the sound
I like the idea of the straight pipes but from your thread it looks as if you kept the stock resonator and y pipe section. My resonator has been removed and its a custom dual set up from the cats back... So if I removed the secondary cats, it wouldn't be too raspy without the resonator?
Old 09-27-12, 02:26 PM
rapsquared
Driver

I have a muffler delete and im in DFW if you want to hear
Old 09-27-12, 02:49 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Im in houston tx if you wanna hear mine or meet up for coffee and cars, but wont be for a while since im crossing my fingers on a tune getting done as we speak
Old 09-27-12, 03:18 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Unfortunately with my work schedule, It's nearly impossible to make it to coffee and cars...

So I guess my question is this... For those running straight pipes, do you still have the resonator in place or did you go with a true dual or X pipe type set up, deleting the resonator?

Quick Reply: Pondering some exhaust ideas