IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New HID's installed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 10:24 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New HID's installed.

So, I bought some 8000k HID's for the low beams and installed them last week. That was a very simple 15 minute job to install because I have small hands and didn't have to remove the intake. I bought the lights from v-leds as they had a $33 special on them. I really wanted 6000k lights, but this was all they had, so for $33 I figured what the heck and bought them. They weren't as blue as I thought they'd be so they worked for me.

The fogs were a different story. I bought the 6000k volt conversion kit from xenondepot and thought I'd just be able to take off a few panels off the bottom to access the fogs. I was wrong! I ended up having to partially remove the front bumper, but to my surprise, it was pretty simple. I think the whole job took about an hour and a half. Here are some pics:

Here you can see the foglight housing attached to the inner portion of the bumper. Just simply take the H11 halogen bulb out and the new hid bulb goes right in the socket to replace it.

Here you can see the stock wiring harness (green) and it plugs right into the volt kit harness (this provides the power).

I just used the 3M double sided tape provided with the kit and attached it to the bottom cover. I used the provided zip ties to connect the kits wires to some stock wiring to keep them from moving around.

Finished product. Low beams and fogs ended up at about $120.

Old 09-25-12, 10:42 AM
kteng7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...I like it !
Old 09-25-12, 10:47 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Looks great!

How's the visibility at night with the 8k's?
Old 09-25-12, 11:06 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Visibility at night with the lows is definitely different. Everything is more of a bluish tint if you will. I still think the 6000k would be better as far as light output go. 8000k's are not as bright as stock by any means...just ok. That's why I figured going HID in the fogs would compensate for the lesser output of the lows. I just finished this an hour ago, so I haven't driven at night to see how bright those fogs actually are. I'll let you know after the sun goes down how everything looks. I might still end up going 6000k in the lows, but like I said earlier, $33 was worth a shot and it's not bad. I would like just a bit more output from the low beams though.
Old 09-25-12, 11:22 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

That's a great deal from V-LEDs!

I'm looking to upgrade my lows to Garax 6k's, 8k would have compromised the visibility a little too much for me. I do plan on going with 3.5k HIDs for the fogs too, hopefully it would make up for the difference in visibility with the 6k's..
Old 09-25-12, 11:23 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

So...you made the headlights dimmer.

OEM 4300k color has the best lumens.

The bluer the color, the worse it will be at night, on wet, black pavement.

Maybe if you put some nice 3000k (yellow) HID's in the fog lights you will have same total lumen output as stock.
Old 09-25-12, 11:29 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I still have my stock 4300k's, so I can always go back. Like I said, I'd rather have gotten 6000k for the lows, but V-LEDS only had 8000k. I don't drive much at night, but when winter comes it'll be different. I might end up buying some 5000k or 6000k from xenondepot for the lows, if the fogs don't compensate enough. The color match seems really good right now though. As far as the yellow fogs, I like it ok, but not sure if it's for me. Anyway to adjust the fogs to fire up very slightly?
Old 09-25-12, 04:42 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need the brightest lights on the block =) I think it looks good! It's more fun to drive with NVG's and an IR light anyways - stealth mode =)

you should do a DIY for the bumber removal and light install - you are half way there with this thread.
Old 09-25-12, 05:31 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

^ you don't have to remove the bumper.. you can just go through the liner, and it still gives you a plenty room to wire them up and secure your ballasts..

to OP, car looks nice.. but visibility must suck especially when it rains..
Old 09-25-12, 05:44 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ why did OP say he had to remove it?????????
Old 09-25-12, 06:05 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Its easier to go thru the liners but the OP didnt know it, should get 5k HID from Xenon Depot very close match to stock 4.3k low beam . One of the longest vendor from this site and that fogs are made in japan
Old 09-25-12, 06:58 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I suppose you could go through the fender liner, but might have to remove wheel to get enough access. I originally changed the bulbs out by just going through the fender liner. On the 2nd gen IS forum a guy showed where he zip tied the ballasts on top of the air brake duct. I took the bumper off to get to it, but our duct is no bueno. It's too big. So, I supposed you could do the fender liner only, but glad I went the bumper route. Now I can change those turn signals out.

To my surprise the lights were really bright tonight. Those fogs compared to stock are unbelievable. They throw a lot of light to the sides. Driver tonight was very easy and I had plenty of light. Still might lower the the low beams to 6000k down the road, but its fine for now. I haven't driven in rain yet but it's in the forecast.
Old 09-25-12, 07:00 PM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Sorry iPhone 5 camera.
Old 09-25-12, 07:36 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Thanks for the picture at night, it looks great!
Old 09-25-12, 07:38 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Yeah up close it very bright and i can tell the bluish fogs 8k. Back to the liners install, you dont have to take out the wheels just jack up the car and work on it

Quick Reply: New HID's installed.