IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tinted windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 08:20 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the color of the tint does not matter 3m UV clear is not legal its just very unlikely that you will be caught. The major reasons tint is an issue is because of officer safety (not being able to see into a car at night) and the second is because tint would make it very hard to penetrate the windsheild. It already has a film to protect you in an accident but adding tint on top of that would make hitting your head on it even worse and you probably wouldnt be able to get free if you were not able to open the doors or roll down the windows. This is information from friends that are cops here in florida, you can legally tint above the a1 line. Basically what my cop friends are saying is that cops get alot of drug/weapon arrests from pulling over cars that have obvious front tinted windows, however if its very light they arent going to pull you over because they wont see it.
Old 09-17-12, 10:35 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
the color of the tint does not matter 3m UV clear is not legal its just very unlikely that you will be caught. The major reasons tint is an issue is because of officer safety (not being able to see into a car at night) and the second is because tint would make it very hard to penetrate the windsheild. It already has a film to protect you in an accident but adding tint on top of that would make hitting your head on it even worse and you probably wouldnt be able to get free if you were not able to open the doors or roll down the windows. This is information from friends that are cops here in florida, you can legally tint above the a1 line. Basically what my cop friends are saying is that cops get alot of drug/weapon arrests from pulling over cars that have obvious front tinted windows, however if its very light they arent going to pull you over because they wont see it.

Correct, I am an LEO also.
Old 09-17-12, 03:13 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow, Just got OWN3D by an LEO!!!
Old 09-17-12, 05:18 PM
lilcop17
Driver

Originally Posted by Kramer
Wow, Just got OWN3D by an LEO!!!
No one got owned by an LEO. I was just saying who I am.
Old 09-17-12, 05:26 PM
shot
Rookie

I have one and have absolutely no issues. And the rain sensors work perfectly here in SoCal when it does rain, which is like never. Regards, Shot
Old 09-17-12, 06:35 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lilcop17
Correct, I am an LEO also.
haha I figured from the user name, I am going to ask my eye dr for a script next time I am in so I can be "street legal" but I have also contemplated the 3m clear film. I dont drive the F much at night so I think ill be fine as far as the law enforcement officers go.
Old 09-17-12, 06:54 PM
lilcop17
Driver

Originally Posted by robertrios
haha I figured from the user name, I am going to ask my eye dr for a script next time I am in so I can be "street legal" but I have also contemplated the 3m clear film. I dont drive the F much at night so I think ill be fine as far as the law enforcement officers go.
Awe man, I think the F is more attracting at night!
Old 09-17-12, 09:44 PM
bradhop15
Driver

What agency do you work for lilcop?
Old 09-18-12, 04:27 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Originally Posted by bradhop15
What agency do you work for lilcop?
"murder captial city of the world" Gary, IN lol
Old 09-18-12, 06:31 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the 3M clear film, the previous owner had it installed. I feel that along with the tint on the sides and rear the cabin stays much cooler then my last IS. It also cuts down the glare from oncoming headlight without decreasing visibility at night. Lastly it leaves me less concerned about my dash getting pounded my the sun.
Old 11-02-12, 11:06 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I have 35% all around, 70% windshield. No issues what so ever. I don't even notice it day or night.
Love the protection from the UV rays. I am sure the life of the interior will be greatly extended.
Old 11-02-12, 11:48 PM
CCLSVTF
Driver

Originally Posted by Kramer
In nearly all states tinting windsheild is highly illegal, especially with dark tint. But that new 3M clear UV tint is okay to use....but I love taking chances at being illegal!!
In CA that still isn't true. If you read the California vehicle code, it states, "Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver’s View 26708. (a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows."
Old 11-03-12, 12:15 AM
G9N
Driver

I had 40% all the way around and 70% on the front. No rain sensor issues for me. but to my knowledge they didn't tint the area under the rain sensor. The tint is installed on the inside of the glass and there would be no foreseeable benefit to removing the rain sensor and tinting under it. I would suggest not using huper optic as the polymer technology it uses to reject heat can not be heat shrunk. If you do heat shrink the huper optic, it becomes almost no better than the standard glass in the areas it was heat shrunk. There are video's of people with meters showing this that you can look up. 3M's Crystalline was designed to maintain it's heat reflection properties even after being heat shrunk.

I had 20% sides 35% front on my GTO and hated night driving with it in more poorly lit areas because it would become very reflective of the interior and hard to see out. Maybe that's just me though.
Old 11-03-12, 04:52 AM
lilcop17
Driver

Originally Posted by G9N
I had 40% all the way around and 70% on the front. No rain sensor issues for me. but to my knowledge they didn't tint the area under the rain sensor. The tint is installed on the inside of the glass and there would be no foreseeable benefit to removing the rain sensor and tinting under it. I would suggest not using huper optic as the polymer technology it uses to reject heat can not be heat shrunk. If you do heat shrink the huper optic, it becomes almost no better than the standard glass in the areas it was heat shrunk. There are video's of people with meters showing this that you can look up. 3M's Crystalline was designed to maintain it's heat reflection properties even after being heat shrunk.

I had 20% sides 35% front on my GTO and hated night driving with it in more poorly lit areas because it would become very reflective of the interior and hard to see out. Maybe that's just me though.
yeah, i got what you said exactly. I now have 5% all the way around and 35% windshield.