IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

sard cuvu evolution

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-15, 08:38 AM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds cool but apart from stock and common bolt on it doesn't seem to solve the problem that will allow getting serious power. Without the ability to tune ourselves I can't see that changing for anyone looking beyond bolt ons.
Old 06-24-15, 09:06 AM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
My car has been running multiple SARD CUVU Evolution ECUs over the last 10 months. Although the finally version of the U.S. Spec ECU is not ready for release this is alive and well. Every test ECU sees more improvement but SARD is still working hard to make sure that the final version for the U.S. Spec car is going to be satisfactory.

With the elimination of the speed limiter the car sees 180mph in 5th gear��
So can you feel gains from this tune? Do they have any idea on the US Spec release. Doesnt sound to promising.

Any info would be great or a direction where I cant get info.
Old 06-24-15, 09:36 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by RCB
My car has been running multiple SARD CUVU Evolution ECUs over the last 10 months. Although the finally version of the U.S. Spec ECU is not ready for release this is alive and well. Every test ECU sees more improvement but SARD is still working hard to make sure that the final version for the U.S. Spec car is going to be satisfactory.

With the elimination of the speed limiter the car sees 180mph in 5th gear��
Is this a piggy back system? Or does it re-write the OEM software with new parameters? Lastly, they have to have some sort of eta with the ECU in mind, have they shared that with you?

Thx
Old 06-24-15, 11:14 AM
teamcalvin
Pole Position

subscribed!
Old 06-24-15, 01:24 PM
One2beH8ed
Lead Lap

So far I have looked up Novel. You have to pull ECU, send it to Japan, They flash the computer for $1700. They send it back. They guarantee 20 whp. I dont know seems steep and you cant really tune after. I want to find a program where I can actually tune it with a shop. Flash seems weak to me.
Old 06-24-15, 01:58 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by One2beH8ed
So far I have looked up Novel. You have to pull ECU, send it to Japan, They flash the computer for $1700. They send it back. They guarantee 20 whp. I dont know seems steep and you cant really tune after. I want to find a program where I can actually tune it with a shop. Flash seems weak to me.
Maybe someone will try to tune the RC-F and therefore finding a way to tune our cars. Will see... anything is possible as long as you have deep pockets. I think the best option is Syvecs but they need some encouragement.
Old 06-24-15, 02:04 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am still optimistic that someone will come out with a tune for toyota cars. Sucks that so many generations of great cars have gone by where it would have really made an impact. Could have helped in sales so that the IS-F wasn't quickly discontinued
Old 06-24-15, 04:19 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry if I'm being vague but keep in mind that I'm just testing the ECU. I'm working with SARD and Nigel JDM to make this happen and as a professional courtesy I can't give every detail.
It has also been taking a little extra time because of the sever winter we had in Boston. Once the temps dropped and the snow showed up it became impossible to put any miles on the car. I had to put it away for the winter and didn't get back to it until mid-May.
The other factor is that it is not just as simple as changing a few parmimeters and seeing how it effect power. There are a lot of systems talking to each other in this car and if one doesn't like a change it's back to square one.
So without throwing numbers I will say this. The car is now seeing a change in power, a better curve and better AFRs. Like I mentioed in my last post the speed limiter has been removed and other changes are being tested.
It is not a piggyback and it is a reflash that is a one and done tune. Unfortunately tuners can not have the rights to the Toyota encryption which is why these ECUs have no tunning options available in the first place.

Regardless of it being a reflash that does not have further tuning options this is a huge deal considering that without this there has never been another option. You guys have the right to be bummed out about the limitations but at the same time you have to be humble and understand that it's pretty great to finally have something coming.

Hopefully there will be some exciting news coming soon.
Old 06-24-15, 04:55 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep forgetting you are in MA, we need to link up sometime
Old 06-24-15, 07:00 PM
Drok149
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm from MA as well... I'd be down for a mini meet sometime
Old 06-24-15, 07:22 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that Road Race Motorsport just released a piggy back that can control fuel and timing for the RC 350 which is also direct and port injected.

http://roadracemotorsports.com/piggytech/
Old 06-24-15, 07:27 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by RCB
I'm sorry if I'm being vague but keep in mind that I'm just testing the ECU. I'm working with SARD and Nigel JDM to make this happen and as a professional courtesy I can't give every detail.
It has also been taking a little extra time because of the sever winter we had in Boston. Once the temps dropped and the snow showed up it became impossible to put any miles on the car. I had to put it away for the winter and didn't get back to it until mid-May.
The other factor is that it is not just as simple as changing a few parmimeters and seeing how it effect power. There are a lot of systems talking to each other in this car and if one doesn't like a change it's back to square one.
So without throwing numbers I will say this. The car is now seeing a change in power, a better curve and better AFRs. Like I mentioed in my last post the speed limiter has been removed and other changes are being tested.
It is not a piggyback and it is a reflash that is a one and done tune. Unfortunately tuners can not have the rights to the Toyota encryption which is why these ECUs have no tunning options available in the first place.

Regardless of it being a reflash that does not have further tuning options this is a huge deal considering that without this there has never been another option. You guys have the right to be bummed out about the limitations but at the same time you have to be humble and understand that it's pretty great to finally have something coming.

Hopefully there will be some exciting news coming soon.
I'm sure everyone is glad to see a breakthrough. But as much as we are to be humble, which I understand, that is relative to the price. While I realize there is a R&D cost to recoup I hope everyone involved understands that for the small gain, the price I've seen is substantial. Maybe that figure isn't accurate or things will change when there are finalized results. The c63, a similar classed car has a similar cost tune with almost a 100hp increase. That's just one example. Not trying to **** in anyone's wheaties, just being honest.
Old 06-24-15, 08:10 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah but Merc is actually smart, and merely detuned the throttle input to 80% with the same engine from the 507. Thus with a simple flick of a switch you can have 507 hp in a standard C63. Same goes for the 3.5L engine in my wife's C300 that's a detuned engine from a 350.

Toyota handicapping their enthusiasts reminds me of Volvo. They do the same **** clinging to their run forever reputation. Which hilariously enough rank pretty low on the reliability ratings as of late.

Since everyone appears to have the same mods, thus have maxed gains with bolt ons, honestly your only choice for more power is to pony up for said tune. So hopefully it offers decent gains because years in development isn't going to be cheap haha.
Old 06-24-15, 08:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 96300NAZ
I'm sure everyone is glad to see a breakthrough. But as much as we are to be humble, which I understand, that is relative to the price. While I realize there is a R&D cost to recoup I hope everyone involved understands that for the small gain, the price I've seen is substantial. Maybe that figure isn't accurate or things will change when there are finalized results. The c63, a similar classed car has a similar cost tune with almost a 100hp increase. That's just one example. Not trying to **** in anyone's wheaties, just being honest.
If you bought an IS F with the idea of modifying it for substantially more power, you bought the wrong car. I'd say the same about any Toyota product. The only reason the Scion FRS is able to be tuned is because it's a Subaru under the covers. Nothing else Toyota in the US can be modified without a complete replacement of the ECM. It's been this way for a very long time, and it's very unlikely to change - the MkIV Supra ECM is still not cracked, and G-Force (now Technosquare) had to solder in daughterboards to make it possible to tune. Can't and won't happen with the current crop of Toyota hardware. Many have tried. Many have said, "we are just waiting for xxx before we release" and yet not one of them have delivered. As I said above, there are no other options. Either you want it, and are willing to pay their price, or you just don't really want it that bad.
Old 06-24-15, 08:23 PM
96300NAZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you bought an IS F with the idea of modifying it for substantially more power, you bought the wrong car. I'd say the same about any Toyota product. The only reason the Scion FRS is able to be tuned is because it's a Subaru under the covers. Nothing else Toyota in the US can be modified without a complete replacement of the ECM. It's been this way for a very long time, and it's very unlikely to change - the MkIV Supra ECM is still not cracked, and G-Force (now Technosquare) had to solder in daughterboards to make it possible to tune. Can't and won't happen with the current crop of Toyota hardware. Many have tried. Many have said, "we are just waiting for xxx before we release" and yet not one of them have delivered. As I said above, there are no other options. Either you want it, and are willing to pay their price, or you just don't really want it that bad.
Nah, I didn't buy it for substantial power. I had a STi and was tired of the unreliability of the heavy mods. I went through two built motors before I had enough. I just wanted something classy and fast to drive while I built the 300Z. I chose the F over a c63 for reliability. When I want more power, I'll arm the soon to be installed nitrous. Supply and demand will make the price in the end I suppose. Shame there's no interest to the hackers of the world to beat the encryption like they do with game consoles.

Quick Reply: sard cuvu evolution