IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

C63 AMG story

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 07:17 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha nice story. People ask me if I drive an IS460.....
Old 08-30-12, 07:45 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

You'd think that most car salesmen would be car guys, but it seems that most aren't. Then again, I guess 90% of their buyers aren't really in to cars either, so they can get away with faking it most of the time. I was looking at the S4 when I was shopping (and ultimately bought the IS-F) and that salesman didn't know anything about the car other than it was the "sporty" version of the A4. They sales manager where I bought my IS-F knew a lot about cars though and we chatted for half and hour about how he loved the IS-F and some other previous cars he used to have. Always fun to buy from an enthusiast.
Old 08-30-12, 08:52 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GenuineKid
i would never spend 125k on a c63.. i dont care if its black, gold, blue, diamond edition. rather get a used exotic.
Couldn't agree more
Old 08-30-12, 09:30 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's always hit or miss when it comes to dealing with a good salesman. Some are actually trying to sell you a good product by giving you as much info as they possibly can, and then you have some people who try to sell the brand rather than the car. But after four years, you would think salespeople would have done a little research on the competition, especially with the improvements the IS F have made year after year. My gf and her brother were looking at a new Nissan (he wanted a 370z and she was looking at the Quest), and as we went into the showroom, we could see the outside salesmen quickly make their way over to my F. Always a treat to see others gawking when they think they're not being seen.

But with regards to the car itself, a C63 is a massive beast. Looks-wise, I honestly think Lexus has the upperhand. That 6.3 under the hood is nothing to mess with. It's definitely a fun ride, especially when it roars off the line, but the problems documented are too hard to overlook when it comes to something this powerful.
Old 08-30-12, 09:55 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

This is more of a salesman story than a c63 story.. lol. Stock for stock, the c63 will definitely pull, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that the F can't hang with any of the AMG models in the last 3-4 years. That's a reach.

When I was trying to buy the F, I had the most difficult time trying to get a test drive.

In my experience, most cars salesmen have no idea what they are talking about. But almost all of them are really terrible at pretending that they do. The sad part is that they sit around all day, and you'd think that they should pick up a brochure and at least learn about the product they are trying to sell, right? Nope. If I was trying to sell something, I'd make sure that I know the product inside out. I suppose that just makes too much sense.

The only auto enthusiasts I've met at a dealership are usually in the service depts.
Old 08-31-12, 02:19 AM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

Post Real Salesman

I love all the salesman stories...

I would buy an F over the C63 7 days out of the week every week! I have had the "luxury" of owning a 2001 and a 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG. The 01 was actually my Father's car but I drove it a lot and for being N/A and the timeline of it's production was not a slouch of a car with 350 hp and 391 tq. The 2005 being supercharged had a lot of power, especially after I put a pulley and tune on it. But if it wasn't going in a straight line I didn't enjoy driving it. I took my Dad up to Reno one day and the roads are twisty going there. Long story short, by the time we got home the next day (3 hour drive) I was tired simply from the drive and from wrestling with the handling on that car... The F is effortless in handling and though it might not be as fast (E55 put down 460 who and 500 wtq) I would drive the F every day all day over almost any Merc product. Get the three power making bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, and headers) and you are putting more than a new C63 and almost as much as a black series.
One last reason I say NO on Mercedes is because the maintenance on that car is horribly expensive. I knew it wasn't cheap to maintain when buying it, yet the little stuff that I had to constantly fix was ridiculous (intercooler pump, rear a/c pump, panoramic roof motor, guides, and rails, 3-4 supercharger belts, and the list goes on...

Most of you are correct, most sales people do not know what they are talking about when trying to compare diffenent makes and models, let alone their own product. As a sales person you should know your product in and out and then at least attempt to learn about all the other makes and models out...

When I bought my F in April I knew the revisions from 2009 to 2010, 2011 to 2012, and knew what price to pay for one... An educated buyer is the best buyer, uneducated buyers sometimes know what they want but have no clue what a reasonable price is... I love talking to people about cars because cars are my passion and if I did not sell cars for a living at a Lexus dealership then I would still keep up and know about practically every car on the market, past, present, and future.

Yes, I am the Internet Sales Manager at Lexus dealership and I love my job. It is funny to see how passionate some people are when saying they HATE a sales person, or how pompous one can be when negotiating what they fell is a "fair price". Needless to say, I work all internet sales and talk to people anywhere from a mile to about 100 miles away from my dealership and sometimes further. We sale Lexus obviously, but I have an assortment of vehicles from 370Z's to Camaro's to Mercedes to Ford trucks to Honda, Acura, much much more...

Am I an expert on all vehicles, no. But do I make an effort to know most vehicles so that I can know more of what I am talking about, yes. I drive almost every car that comes in on trade or however we get it so that I can sincerely tell them the difference between x and y car.

Here is the best line to a question that I do not know the answer to, ready?: "I don't know, let's find out". If not only car salesman, but people in general took the time to know what they are actually talking about everyone would benefit!

I hate B.S. just like everyone else does. I bought my F at a different dealership because we did not have a CPO 2010 at the time... However, not once did I go in thinking I was smarter than them nor did I belittle them because of what they do to make a living. Even if I was not in the business would I do that to a sales person. People think that all car sales people are full of crap, yet from experience and what I have read once or twice on this thread, the role in some cases are reversed. Some buyers will lie to you, haggle with you on an already low or negative profit deal (typically used cars), and be downright rude for no reason becasue they think they have right of passage to run over you due to my profession. But guess what, I treat every person the way I would like to be treated no matter if they are the best customer, the most annoying customer, or simply the most rude... Cuss me out though and we might be having some major problems

Life is simple, treat other's how you would like to be treated, know what the heck you are talking about, and every now and then use the line, "I don't know," it makes life so much easier...

Anyways, sorry for the dissertation, but I figured one of us real car guys/ salesman should step up and say something. We aren't all bad people, and if you think so, then try to buy a car private party for the rest of your life and quit making our life miserable. LOL.

Respectfully,

A car guy who sales cars
Old 08-31-12, 04:03 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I never understand how these tools don't know ANYTHING about cars or the market. They might as well be dead lumps at the door IMO.

Many times they don't even know about the cars they are selling... It's incredible
Old 08-31-12, 06:11 AM
flyverylow
Rookie

I echeo alot of the comments posted... Cant imagine how long I would have a job if I was not able to answer basic or technical questions to my customers on a daily basis.

Last edited by flyverylow; 08-31-12 at 06:15 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-31-12, 09:22 AM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's just a product of our times. In my area there is so much turnover in the sales force at car dealers, i hardly ever seem the same salesman twice at my Lexus dealer and i'm sure it's no different at other high end dealers. It seems like the sales people don't really put much effort in to the sale cause they seem to have attitude that u prob won't buy car anyway. It could be just me though, when i am buying a car i always dress really casual and borrow my mom's 10 yr old Rav 4 to pull up in so they don't think i am some rich guy who can pay full price for a car. I prob get crap service cause i don't look like i can afford their cars
Old 08-31-12, 09:47 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I hate guys who sell like this. They make my life selling services much harder.
haha I know what you mean. Finance manager?
Old 08-31-12, 12:23 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'd much rather have a used Galardo over any 63 model.
Old 08-31-12, 01:14 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrd916
When i went to Audi dealer near me when i was deciding between different cars to buy, they had used RS4 on the lot. I was dressed in gym clothes and running shoes. I waited in showroom for 15 mins and no salesperson would wait on me. When one finally agreed to show me the RS4, he says he left keys inside building and would be right back. He finally comes back out and says that i can't drive the car cause he can't find the keys. Classic example of “We don't think u can afford this car“ gimmick that i know they were playing
Wow! reminded me of my F buying experiance I was rushed over bc was such a deal bc they messed up on internet pricing but ofcoarse I saw and made them hold to it. I was fithy and full of hydraulic oil from testing a cummins/ twin disc trans combo on a combi unit, and they didnt even come back until I got pissed bc they left me standing for 20 minutes...I walked around pissed and they new it until I found the manager and asked him if they really didnt want my 15K down... Yea needless to say his whole attitude changed.. .. sad these days but im sure they get "set in their ways" do to the nature of the car business you cant perceive anyones pockets though..
Old 08-31-12, 02:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
haha I know what you mean. Finance manager?
No, I don't work in the car industry at all. But the car industry sets the low bar for what people expect from a salesperson. My job is to be fully knowledgeable of the customer, their industry, my services, and how to get them the best match on the smallest budget possible. Because we don't drop a box and run, we have to sell differently. Unfortunately, most people's impression of selling is the last time they bought a car, so I have a lot of stereotypes to break before I can really do what serves my customers best. Sometimes it's really frustrating.
Old 08-31-12, 05:35 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shoulda said: "Hey, you wouldn't think my little v6 Lexus would be able to do a burnout in your parking lot, right? I'll bet you a C-note.......
Old 08-31-12, 07:30 PM
sw2oboi
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Theres normal salesman and ones who tries too hard.After that statement, id ask him to send someone else that knows what they are talkin about. Its fine to not know evrything, but being wrong and cocky just made him look like an arrogant ***.

Quick Reply: C63 AMG story