IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Header install in Chicagoland?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 06:06 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Header install in Chicagoland?

Hey any of you guys with headers get them done in the Chicagoland area? Also, that shop require new O2 sensors and gaskets? I'm probably just going to get the sensors but don't know if I'm supposed to get gaskets. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-13-12, 12:57 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was considering Fluid Motor Union in plainfield..

hoping someone local has a recommendation also
Old 08-13-12, 01:33 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Hey any of you guys with headers get them done in the Chicagoland area? Also, that shop require new O2 sensors and gaskets? I'm probably just going to get the sensors but don't know if I'm supposed to get gaskets. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!
All of my header installs (in multiple V8 cars)..I have always bought new OEM front O2 sensors and gaskets. Sometimes the O2 sensors get "stuck/fused" in the "collector" pipe from all of the heat cycling. Heads up, the 02 Sensors can be expensive. If you find that you can use your old 02 Sensors, you can always sell the ones you bought on the forums here.
Old 08-13-12, 03:31 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

or you can buy Walker part #250-54006 for about $103 each from Amazon

Just got this info from james
Old 08-14-12, 05:32 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

My headers were installed in Baltimore at the mother of all header installs, JE...lol. A 9 hour drive isn't bad at all in an F, it's 9 hours of open road to enjoy. Then the 9 hour drive back is Just a tiny bit more fun. 40 extra hps, that to your "dyno" butt feels like 100, and on your way back, you can grin from ear to ear (ego-massage times) at each car you pass knowing you have a bigger "-----" than they do....lol.

Seriously, the drive to and from was easy, especially the drive back. Since the install was about 6-8 hours long, what I did was planned my trip so I arrived early when they open, catch a taxi to hotel and slept for 6-8 hours, then pick up the car and went home. Left thursday evening, arrived at the shop early Friday morning, headed back Friday evening into Saturday morning. Cake walk if you have a co-pilot.

The long distance drive back is also a good break-in period, allows your ECU to adjust. Oh one more thing, you'll want to race anything that looks remotely like a sports car, you won't be able o help yourself.....lol.
Old 08-14-12, 12:42 PM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

pete the is-f must be must faster than i had imagined if you can get to Baltimore in 9 hrs from here! MrSkiz, how long did it take you to install the headers for the IS-F?
Old 08-14-12, 12:47 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by imp0rted1
pete the is-f must be must faster than i had imagined if you can get to Baltimore in 9 hrs from here! MrSkiz, how long did it take you to install the headers for the IS-F?
I haven't installed headers on the IS-F.

I have done it in other GM LSx V8 cars on a lift in about 4 hours with me and my Lexus Master Tech buddy working on it. With those cars I had to remove power steering lines, drop the steering rack, remove spark plugs, disconnect the steering rod, etc.

I believe on the IS-F you have to remove bolts from the engine cradle and lift the engine up a bit...however I have not touched it , and do not plan on putting headers on the car. I have been there done that, I enjoy that the car is quiet when it needs to be
Old 08-14-12, 01:28 PM
zojirushi
Driver

Originally Posted by zapa
or you can buy Walker part #250-54006 for about $103 each from Amazon

Just got this info from james
How good are these sensors? Can we trust these as they are much cheaper than oem?
Old 08-14-12, 07:53 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Splitting hair here, ok add another hour 722 miles in 10 hours....lol. The question you want to ask yourself is this, "Can I trust this guy who has never installed one on an ISF, to do it correctly, knowing how prevalent issues with CELs and O2s can be when installed incorrectly". Another battle you will have to deal with, going to someone who has not done one before will be the installation price. They will price you high to compensate for extra time for issues during the install. I went to AMS performance and they wanted o pull the engine, like the GT-R....no way!
Old 08-15-12, 09:02 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

true pete

i was thinking the same thing. no one around here has done it so it would make sense to drive. i do have family in the Baltimore area. maybe its time to go for a visit. lol
Old 08-15-12, 04:01 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ A piece of mind, is invaluable!
Old 08-16-12, 02:55 PM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**Edit

Guys I bought my Borla exhaust secondhand from a guy who had his ISF headers put on at Red Mist Auto in Gilberts, IL

http://www.redmistauto.com/

Haven't used them, but highly recommended by a guy I bought my exhaust from, who boosted his silver 08 F. Big blower, car runs on a motec apparently. This shop might know a thing or two.

Last edited by streetspee; 08-16-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 06:54 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

interesting find.

this is what was on their facebook page..

Old 08-17-12, 07:14 AM
streetspee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting find.

this is what was on their facebook page..

Yep thats the one. That car is nuts. It sounds like a tractor when you start it up. Thats the shop for sure.
Old 08-17-12, 07:22 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

^^ I've talked to the current owner, which is not the original owner who had the F built at RedMist. I've also spoken to RedMist and they have no affiliation with the car anymore, it was quite awhile ago. I contacted them to inquire about custom carbon fiber work I saw on the car at Wekfest last year.

To keep it short and simple, it's a single turbo relegated to no more than 4lbs of boost.....which is ho hum..... The headers are custom headers that were put on during the turbo build stage. This F has so much custom work (some looking not so quality) that I would be afraid to benchmark. The F even has a LSD, but then the new owner doesn't know the brand, which is a odd. Also according to the new owner, it has 630 hps at 4 lbs of boost, which tells me he doesn't know much about the car. Redmist might be reputable and recommended, but i would want to hear that from the original owner, not the new owner. B/c once you have a one of a kind custom car, guess what, you've just found your shop for the foreseeable future (good/bad). No other shop is going to want to mess with it, unless you want pay $$$$. My $0.02

Last edited by PurduePete; 08-17-12 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Header install in Chicagoland?