IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Next Generation Supra or IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 09:20 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Generation Supra or IS-F

Rumors are floating around the web about the Supra coming back..

"Toyota has recently applied for a trademark to the Supra name. The trademark has to be used within 3 years for it to be valid.

Motor Trend is now reporting a Supra successor is in the works. The new Supra is rumored to be based on the 2007 Toyota FT-HS Concept that will be powered by a 3.5-liter V-6 hybrid system generating over 400 hp. If given the green light for production, the rear-drive coupe is expected to target the Nissan GT-R in terms of price and performance. Toyota says it is not rushing the Supra successor but instead is waiting to see how the sales and interests of its GT86/FR-S goes. If Toyota maintains its plans, it should release a new Supra model in late 2014 or early 2015"

If the Next Generation IS-F and new Supra both dropped in 2014 and the Supra was more money but faster than the next IS-F which one would you get?
Old 08-08-12, 09:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I'd keep my current Supra. No desire for a hybrid of any kind. False economies **** me off.
Old 08-08-12, 09:26 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd keep my current Supra. No desire for a hybrid of any kind. False economies **** me off.
True.. I think the new Acura NSX is going to be all wheel drive and hybrid. Thats the direction alot of automakers are going to go.
Old 08-08-12, 10:59 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It'll be very difficult for the Supra successor to top the glamour and prestige of the one that ended production in 97-98 (MKIV). That was a very special model to me, and though I have a gorgeous IS F, I'll always have a soft spot for a rare 97 Deep Jewel Green 15th Anniversary edition. I'm certainly green with envy of those who were fortunate to have a Supra in their stable.

If given the opportunity, honestly, I would surely choose the next gen IS F solely because I'm just not a fan of hybrids.
Old 08-08-12, 11:29 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhhh the old supras are boss! I had an old guy drive by me the other day on the fwy in a Forrest green color supra and give me the thumbs up.... I was like no sir you deserve the thumbs up for one clean *** supra lol

Back to the topic .... Can't go wrong with either if they ever release the new supra
Old 08-09-12, 04:14 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I suppose a few people would cross-shop those cars, but for many of us that bought the Lexus for the luxury, 4 doors and backseats, the new IS-F would definitely be the choice. They're targeting two different buyers I would think.
Old 08-09-12, 06:52 AM
ChiCityG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
I suppose a few people would cross-shop those cars, but for many of us that bought the Lexus for the luxury, 4 doors and backseats, the new IS-F would definitely be the choice. They're targeting two different buyers I would think.
I agree that they would be targeting a different market and different buyers than those of the IS-F but there will be some margin of cross shopping of potential buyers between those to cars inevitably...

Aside from cross shopping within the Toyota family which will only be a small percentage, they would have to choose carefully as to how they brand it and who they are really targeting. If they honestly want to target the GT-R, than IMO, they need to brand it a Toyota, leave the hybrid out of it and let this thing suck gas... I dont think they would be targeting that though, moreso the "Acura" NSX or the "Infiniti" emerg-e or and other of the luxury hybrid sportscars that are coming out... It would make more sense if that market will really exist in the near future to target that. They already have their supercar...

Either way, I am a fan of bringing the Supra name back as it is one I have always enjoyed hearing in the automotive industry and I still have regrets that I do not have an MKIV in my garage sometimes!
Old 08-09-12, 07:12 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're targeting the GTR with a 400 hp hybrid? I'm going to target a GT3 with my riding lawnmower.
Old 08-09-12, 07:20 AM
ChiCityG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 7No
They're targeting the GTR with a 400 hp hybrid? I'm going to target a GT3 with my riding lawnmower.
Well, technically speaking... you put 400hp in your lawn mower and you have a mower that would certainly at least go straight faster than a GT3... It all depends on how they house those 400 ponies to show what it will really compete with...

But, realistically, you are correct and this is more eveidence to fact that they will be targeting the newer market of hyrbid sportscars. And it most likely will cost more than the GT-R still as well.
Old 08-09-12, 07:23 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They need to make it non hybrid, more hp and more mpg! Don't do what acura did with the NSX! Make sure it comes in manual too!
Old 08-09-12, 07:31 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I know a lot of purists would never want to buy a hybrid sportscar, but if it becomes economical to produce something that has performance and fuel efficiency, then I would definitely take a look at a hybrid. I have always been a fan of the Supra as well, but I just don't know how they're going to make anything like it and keep it priced reasonably enough for it to sell. The NSX in its day was great because it was competitive with all the other supercars out there but for a fraction of the price. The GT-R occupies that spot now. If Toyota puts a Supra out there, but it is is way more expensive than the GT-R and Z06, it probably won't sell. I don't see the new NSX doing that well either, as it is targeted to be well over $100K.

If Toyota and Honda would make true sports cars with either a V8 or turbo V6 that are in the 400hp range and can run in the 12s and low 4s 0-60, and can sell that car for less than the price of a GT-R, there's a market for it. I'd love to see a Supra fit that bill. Personally though, I need the 4 doors and would tilt towards the new IS-F.
Old 08-09-12, 08:25 AM
zmw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a supra... no turbo, no care - part of the reason the GTR is so popular is because it's a great platform for modification - a hybrid supra will terrible, and I'll keep the green one in the garage - It's really a shame that Toyota doesn't recognize the love people have for the old supras. They need to rely on that enthusiasm and make a competent successor - The reality is that with new technology they could make a clean and wicked 4L inline 6 (let's call it a 3JZ) with DI and either twin turbo or even twin charged, which would carry the fan base of the 2J and stick to the heritage

I think a hybrid sports car will flop, they may sell enough of them to be profitable but it will never have the cult following that the GTR has inspired, or that the MKIV did.

just my .02, worth about .01 after taxes.

edit: yes for the motor geeks, I do know that the toyota has already made a big inline 6 - but the 1FZ is gigantic and would have a very difficult time being stuffed in a sports car, it's a gigantic truck engine, but if somehow its profile could be shrunk while maintaining the 4.5L inline size, it would make an amazing sports car motor.
Old 08-09-12, 08:54 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg you're always posting controversial topics...

I can't fathom driving a powerful hybrid, who knows the longevity of it after many many miles of spirited driving. Buying a hybrid "supercar" is like an oxy-moron... you get great gas mileage but you're shelling out upwards of $100K. For this reason, I don't think the Supra should be a hybrid. I mean look at the Tesla... it is highly criticized for being expensive, and takes forever to charge, not to mention it can only run continuously for 250 miles.
Old 08-09-12, 10:08 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To me driving a sports car is great but modifying is really where the true passion is. I love the Supra because I had a great time building it. I love my F because I have had a fun time reading the forum and collecting parts for it this year. I am also excited about installing everything, showing it to other car guys and enjoying it on the street and road corse.
The GT-R is a great car because it is one of the few cars left that has kept the tuner spirit alive in this new generation of sports cars and the only Godzilla car left. My perception is that the NSX is not being marketed towards people like that. It's a car that you get in and drive as is just like the euro exotics. The other problem is that I don't see myself being able to tear down a car like that in my shop without spending a bunch of $ on Diagnostics System. I picked the F because I love the Supra and love Toyota but it has about as much electronic restrictions in it as I can handle....PCM.
If they plan on going that route they will not have my interest. I'm still a die hard car guy and don't plan on being converted to an electrical engineer any time soon.
Old 08-09-12, 01:18 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RCB
To me driving a sports car is great but modifying is really where the true passion is. I love the Supra because I had a great time building it. I love my F because I have had a fun time reading the forum and collecting parts for it this year. I am also excited about installing everything, showing it to other car guys and enjoying it on the street and road corse.
The GT-R is a great car because it is one of the few cars left that has kept the tuner spirit alive in this new generation of sports cars and the only Godzilla car left. My perception is that the NSX is not being marketed towards people like that. It's a car that you get in and drive as is just like the euro exotics. The other problem is that I don't see myself being able to tear down a car like that in my shop without spending a bunch of $ on Diagnostics System. I picked the F because I love the Supra and love Toyota but it has about as much electronic restrictions in it as I can handle....PCM.
If they plan on going that route they will not have my interest. I'm still a die hard car guy and don't plan on being converted to an electrical engineer any time soon.
I agree..and I only hope Toyota is listening.. keep the tuner spirit alive

Quick Reply: Next Generation Supra or IS-F