IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Attention in the isf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 04:01 AM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention in the isf?

Assuming all goes as planned, I should have an isf this week. I was wondering if you tend to catch any eyeballs with this car? I wouldn't really think so, but just curious. It seems more like a sleeper to me. What's been your experience?
Old 08-05-12, 06:04 AM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wouldn't believe. I catch people checking it out all the time. My favorite is when I'm parked in front of Starbucks getting some coffee and a good read in...I'll glance up and notice people checking it out when they walk in. I still think its a sleeper though to most people in that they have no idea its a 416hp V8 under the hood.
Old 08-05-12, 07:07 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

it's almost as if all Lexuses are sleepers.
color is also a main attracting factor. I have an usb F, and it always gets looks (even when bone stock).
I'm not used to it though because before I got looks by 350Zs, VWs, Hondas, etc --I had a g35
Now it's audis, porsches, corvettes, no car above 13 seconds really.

and btw, if/when you add an exhaust, the "break-your-neck" factor increases by much more
have fun and good luck.
Old 08-05-12, 07:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the USB color and I will say it attracts a lot of attention. I drive the car about once a week to work and almost every time, I find someone behind me with their camera phone raised taking pictures of the car. I don't know if I can give the car all the credit though because part of it may be my license plate which reads "TRFC SKS".

The car certainly turns heads of all genders, races and ages.
Old 08-05-12, 08:29 AM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a silver IS-F so it blends in really well, but have a caught plenty of people looking over at a stop light and small groups huddled around my car while it's parked.
Old 08-05-12, 08:59 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO it isn't really a sleeper, especially considering the USB color attracts so much attention. When you see it coming up behind you, it doesn't look like a regular IS250 or 350 (wider front end, longer hood)... and obviously from the rear you see the quad stacked tailpipes, and from the side you see the vented fenders and 19" BBS wheels. It attracts so much attention bone stock, which is why I love taking it to meets and car shows... it still gets respect from car enthusiasts since it's so rare.

My stories are endless, every day there's someone who takes a pic, walks over and talks to me about it, thumbs up from people on sportbikes, etc. It's good, but it's also bad if you encounter haters. Just be careful where you take the car.
Old 08-05-12, 09:27 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I have an Obsidian, so results vary. At stoplights, occasionally I'll see someone in the lane next to me looking over and checking out the car, or giving me a thumbs up, but usually it is only if the other vehicle is occupied by a male between the ages of maybe 18-50. Younger kids, older males, and almost all women don't pay it much attention. A lot of people don't even know exactly what it is. Some people think it is a package that you can add to a regular IS250 and don't know that it is likely the fastest car in the parking lot at any given time.

Compare that with my buddy who has a white S5 with red leather interior... he gets stares ALL the time from all sorts of people. Women especially seem to love the car. A group of us went out one night and we both drove our cars, and he got one of those primo valet spots right in front of the restaurant whereas they parked my car off to the side a little bit (still in front, but not on display). Even I have to admit that his car is one of the more attractive non-exotic vehicles made.
Old 08-05-12, 10:02 AM
Franch1se
Rookie

I feel our cars are sleepers unless its a car enthusiast because it seems for the most part non-car people can not distinguish our cars from normal IS's. I have friends that will say they saw a car like mine somewhere and it usually ends up being only a 250 or 350. Even when my brother rides with me and sees another IS he will always ask is that an F and I'm like no.

I do enjoy when people know what our cars are though. The other day I went to Best Buy and the guy up front was like why do you have to drive up here in my dream car.

Also VBB tell your friend P in the S5 to man up and race me. lol

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-05-12 at 09:34 PM. Reason: useless derogatory comment
Old 08-05-12, 10:42 AM
Gotspd2
Driver School Candidate

I'd be going with the dark grey color, so it will likely be somewhat anonymous.
Old 08-05-12, 11:06 AM
spddemon
Pole Position

When I brought my F to work I had to educate everyone that this is not the same as the other IS's. After I did the wow factor went up! But the USB color does attract looks. I have had a few shout outs like ( is that the car with the 400 horse v8?) and I'm like yes it is .

Cayman I like your license plate, so true in DMV. I hate 495
Old 08-05-12, 11:07 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's still kinda funny to me because many people do not know what an IS F is, despite it being out for four years. They see the dual exhaust outlets on both sides and think its aftermarket. One guy at the gas station even came up to me and said "So this is what the IS 350 F sport looks like." I shrugged, and politely turned on my car after it was done filling up and took off. He was still staring when i left.

Honestly, I don't see it as a sleeper. Most enthusiasts who compare know the class that the F is in. But just the fact that it is still rare to see another on the roads makes it almost easy bait to get someone to race on the roads. I see tons of M3 daily and those typically gets street raced by other bimmers, but when I'm in my F, I hear all sorts of cars revving and guys screaming out the window wanting to do a quick run. It's always fun times in the F!
Old 08-05-12, 11:43 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but truth is unless its an enthusiast looking or you own a USB or crazy color combo, common public will stand in front of you and swear its an IS350 with upgrades. Ofcourse if you have some headers and exhaust thats a whole different story, and even then it would be your exhaust modifications that call the attention.
Old 08-05-12, 12:38 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Franch1se
Also VBB tell your friend P in the S5 to man up and race me. lol
Haha, I will definitely deliver the message. By the way, no point in racing him... the IS-F is definitely faster, and he readily admits it. We need to meet up sometime soon. There's a couple of IS-F guys down my way too... we should do a photoshoot sometime.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-05-12 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 01:11 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotspd2
Assuming all goes as planned, I should have an isf this week. I was wondering if you tend to catch any eyeballs with this car? I wouldn't really think so, but just curious. It seems more like a sleeper to me. What's been your experience?
Very frequently...gas stations, auto parts store, restaurants, office complexvent hey even pull along side to admire and discuss the little beast at the lights.

Think so!

Old 08-05-12, 01:15 PM
GenuineKid
Driver

trust me its a neck breaker. Sometimes i have to tell the people to move so i can get into my car..

Quick Reply: Attention in the isf?