IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

isf to gtr owners do you miss the f?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 07:35 PM
Dymelos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default isf to gtr owners do you miss the f?

im thinking of making the plunge to a gtr and i had a few questions from fellow f owners that have/had them while owning a gtr. do you miss the f? is your gtr a daily driver? if i were to get one it would be and the would be passed to my wife. thanks for the input.
Old 07-29-12, 07:54 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

I own an F, don't have a GTR. Drove in a 2013 GTR today though..the suspension is much improved.it wasn't as harsh a ride as I anticipated it would be..and it is fast..one of the fastest cars I have ever been in. The 2013 does the quarter mile in 10.8.. interior is impressive as well.
If you can afford it and can afford the maintenance you should go for it. As the mileage goes up the maintenance skyrockets..but well worth it if your looking to beat up on almost every other car on the road.
Old 07-29-12, 09:50 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I do miss my own F. It was fast, fun and excellent-practical daily driver. The GTR is not very practical if you want to keep it pristine. Its race car like drivability (jerky trans) is also something that may not attract to the casual buyer. I for one am a mileage miser with it. Its suspension can definitely make the F seem like an old caddy on cushions on long hauls. However, it blistering fast, corners like nothing else, gets noticed everywhere and is hugely fun & exciting to mod. Don't get me wrong, you can run it like a Camry, but the maintenance bill will be triple that of an F. All intents and purposes, it's like owning a 911 turbo for less.

If you get the opportunity to get one, do it. You can always come back to a 2011+F later. The GT-R's hardly depreciate.

Luckily for me, we have a newer ISF in the stable now, so I don't have to make any compromises.

~Dv8

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-31-12 at 02:57 PM. Reason: wording
Old 07-30-12, 07:45 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dv8tion388
Yes, I do miss my own F. It was fast, fun and excellent-practical daily driver. The GTR is not very practical if you want to keep it pristine. Its race car like drivability (jerky trans) is also something that may not attract to the casual buyer. I for one am a mileage miser with it. Its suspension can definitely make the F seem like an old caddy on cushions on long hauls. However, it blistering fast, corners like nothing else, gets noticed everywhere and is hugely fun & exciting to mod. Don't get me wrong, you can run it like a Camry, but the maintenance bill will be triple that of an F. All intents and purposes, it's like owning a 911 turbo for less.

If you get the opportunity to get one, do it. You can always come back to a 2011+F later. The GT-R's hardly depreciate.

Luckily for me, we have a newer ISF in the stable now, so I don't have to make any compromises.

~Dv8
Tell me you upgraded the TCM programming to LC5. My trans shifts like a dream now...You can always put the suspension in comfort mode so the shocks travel more. Almost as good a the F.
The only things I miss about the F are the back seats and the programmable seats.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-31-12 at 02:58 PM. Reason: quoted wording
Old 07-30-12, 10:22 AM
dLad
Driver

I just got rid of my ISF on July 14th, so it's only been a lil over 2 weeks. So, of course I miss the F, who wouldn't? It's one of the sickest all around cars, and mine specifically was extremely loud(which I liked). I LLOOVVEE the Lexus ISF's and wish I could have kept it. As for the GTR, it's absolutely incredible. Crazy crazy machine. I love it just as much, if not more than the ISF. People can say it is super fast and handles incredibly, but you really need to be in one to feel it. It's really awesome.
But to answer the thread title. YES, I miss my ISF but would make the same change if I could go back in time.
Also, as far as daily driving. The majority of my time with the F I used it as a daily driver (my only vehicle).....about six weeks ago I bought a '99 volvo v70 t5 wagon (5 speed turbo---all stock) to use as a daily driver to keep mileage and wear and tear down on the ISF. Now that I bought the GTR, I will definitely be using the volvo everyday to work, as well as bad weather and most of winter. If i never bought the volvo, and got the GTR, I would definitely buy a daily beater.
hope this answers ur question OP
Old 07-30-12, 12:54 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by staman
Tell me you upgraded the TCM programming to LC5. My trans shifts like a dream now...You can always put the suspension in comfort mode so the shocks travel more. Almost as good a the F.
The only things I miss about the F are the back seats and the programmable seats.
I finished installing the roll bar this weekend and ordered the flash this morning!

I put it in Comf all the time. Still not like the F's suspension.

~Dv8
Old 07-30-12, 06:56 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dLad
People can say it is super fast and handles incredibly, but you really need to be in one to feel it. It's really awesome.
Couldn't attest more to this... after going for a spin in DLad's '13 GTR "fast" is an understatement...acceleration and handling is just insane. It plants your head into the headrest. Suspension is a lot stiffer than the ISF, but for good reason. The interior has come a long way, and IMO the luxury is on par with the F. Besides these differences I also agree with other owners that you can hear the tranny and there is a lot more engine noise in the cabin. The heads up display shows so many different characteristics of the car, for example when braking, turning, or accelerating. See below for pics and videos...

Old 07-30-12, 08:56 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Damn VJ do you feel that your F is slow now? I'd be hesitant to ride in a GTR because I still want to feel that my F is fast.
Old 07-30-12, 09:54 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Not a very pretty car... Nice looking, but I wouldn't go much further than that.
Old 07-31-12, 05:51 AM
zmw
Rookie

I don't think they are comparable cars - it's like comparing a 911 turbo to an F, different cars with different purposes. If you are a DIY kinda guy, the GTR is not particularly expensive to own and they are extremely reliable - are they lexus reliable, no, but they aren't audi's either.

The GTR similar to any truly FAST car will ruin the ISF for you, especially if you expect them to serve the same purpose - an ISF is not a track weapon the way the GTR is and is not nearly as brutal.

-Z
Old 07-31-12, 07:01 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jat0223
Damn VJ do you feel that your F is slow now? I'd be hesitant to ride in a GTR because I still want to feel that my F is fast.
Well my daily is a stock 98 integra, so the F always seems fast.. it's a good thing I wasn't in the GTR for too long, otherwise the F would seem slow. It's just a full out race car, you hear everything. The car breaks necks everywhere, i mean everywhere. Bikers pointing, people passing by and turning, etc. The ISF still does that, so I don't feel that bad. There's really no comparison, but wanted to point out the differences, since the thread is all about what GTR owners miss about the F, just wanted to give my impressions.
Old 07-31-12, 09:05 AM
lexsane
Pole Position

Our F's were not left in the dust of the GTR on the highway on the 70 mile ride home. They are not slow compared to the GTR.
The cars are just different. If you are tracking or racing every car that pulls along side you then the GTR is the better car for that purpose. If you want the more reliable, lower maintenance, lower insurance, better daily driver, more comfortable car that can still hold its own with car's costing twice to triple as much then the F is the better car. whatever floats your boat you really can't go wrong unless you buy a BMW or Audi. haha just kidding German cars are good too if the electronics work.
Old 07-31-12, 09:27 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if I were to do it, I would get both...lol ISF daily and GTR for weekends.
Old 07-31-12, 05:24 PM
staman
Pole Position

Dont let an idiot truck driver do this to your new ride either: Just looking at white GTR's makes me cringe now. I got a black 2012 instead...

Old 07-31-12, 09:33 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
if I were to do it, I would get both...lol ISF daily and GTR for weekends.
Done! Haha!

Quick Reply: isf to gtr owners do you miss the f?