IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Input on Roadtrip/Manventure (KY -> CO -> UT -> MI -> KY)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-12, 04:59 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on Roadtrip/Manventure (KY -> CO -> UT -> MI -> KY)

A friend and I are currently planning a road trip across the country in my F to knock a few items off our bucket list and wanted to get some input from fellow CL members that might be more familiar with the areas we will be driving through. Our 'manventure' will take place from August 9 (my birthday!) - August 19.

Our starting point will be the Northern KY/Cincinnati area (Aug 9). Form there, we are heading to Colorado Springs to attend the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (Aug 11-12). After that, we will be continuing on to Speed Week at the Bonneville Salt Flats for a few days (Aug 14-15). Once we are burnt to a crisp from the Salt Flats, our journey will lead us back to Detroit for the Woodward Dream Cruise (Aug 18).

Here is our route so far, but would love any suggestions you may have on places to stop along the way: http://roadtrippers.com/trips/500da42bd0394a29440000dd

The only requirement I currently have is to stop in Kansas City, MO for some BBQ. Other than that, and the auto events listed above, we are open to anything. My friend also suggested heading to a ghost town or two for some quick pictures. I'll be sure to post pictures from the trip! I know I already owe at least one member on here detailed pictures of the IS-F CCS-R if we see it at Pike's Peak.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by psixtc; 07-24-12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 07:31 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove from Kentucky to San Diego once to help my gf move, the drive sucked! I just drove from AZ to Zion in Utah in a Ford Raptor last weekend, that was super roomy! I am definitely glad I didn't take my F for that... the truck smelled like arm pits, feet, and McDonalds by the end of the trip!
Old 07-24-12, 08:18 PM
ncorrea
Rookie

I took my F on a trip from Nebraska-Arizona-California-Arizona-Nebraska trip. Was a dream. Was able to average at 28 mpg the whole overall trip and averaged 85 mph
Old 07-24-12, 11:06 PM
zmw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a SF login take a look at my 5K mile road trip I took - If you have the time, I'd suggest some north east utah areas, and some very specific roads in colorado that are sort of on your way....

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ntana-and-back

Be realistic with your mileage is my biggest suggestion, We had a couple days that were just brutal where we had to close 700-900 miles and while it was certainly possible, those days took some of the fun out of our trip.
Old 07-25-12, 04:30 AM
psixtc
Pole Position

Thanks for the input so far! I'll be sure to bring some air fresheners. hahah. I hope I can get 25mpg+ on some of the tanks. That would be a huge help to the wallet.

zmw - I don't have a SF log in but I was able to view your thread. Amazing scenery! I would love to know what road near Steamboat you drove on. I'll send you a PM when I get back on the forums during lunch today. We are shooting to stay at or below 600 miles/day. With 2-3 people rotating in on driver duty, we thought this was the best balance to enjoy the trip, get us where we need to go in time, and keep everyone refreshed.
Old 07-25-12, 09:52 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

My brother and I crossed Colorado on motorcycles some years ago. We were headed west out of Ft. Collins on CO-14, connected to US 40, and crossed the top of Colorado instead of the quick route on I-80 through Wyoming. We went through Steamboat Springs, and right by the ski resort. It was incredible scenery. We were on our way to Sacramento. Colorado 14 runs up the Poudre River canyon and is a spectacularly fun drive in a high performance vehicle if you like mountain road driving.

I agree, if the goal is fun, keep the daily mileage expectation low. I've done some pretty crazy drives (1800 miles in 26 hours, solo; 2000 miles in 30 hours with the wife) and at the end, they're not exactly fun, but you get where you need to be when you need to be there. Canyon roads might not be fun with a full car if anyone gets car sick...
Old 07-25-12, 10:47 AM
CaptAwsm
Lead Lap

The only thing Ive done on your list was the Dream Cruise. Its fun, tons of sweet cars, biggest car show in the nation or something. However, be prepared for boos and thumbs down when you cruise the F down the strip.. American muscle fans..
Old 07-25-12, 01:48 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
The only thing Ive done on your list was the Dream Cruise. Its fun, tons of sweet cars, biggest car show in the nation or something. However, be prepared for boos and thumbs down when you cruise the F down the strip.. American muscle fans..
I'm used to the negativity at the Dream Cruise. For the past 6 years I cruised it in my WRX. I got a lot of boos and everyone always asked me to do a burn out. I went to college in Flint, MI and was surrounded by the stereotypical "Buy 'Merican" crowd so I have a pretty thick skin about that mentality. I think the F will really surprise people when they find out it has a 5.0L just like their Mustang.
Old 07-25-12, 02:10 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by psixtc
I'm used to the negativity at the Dream Cruise. For the past 6 years I cruised it in my WRX. I got a lot of boos and everyone always asked me to do a burn out. I went to college in Flint, MI and was surrounded by the stereotypical "Buy 'Merican" crowd so I have a pretty thick skin about that mentality. I think the F will really surprise people when they find out it has a 5.0L just like their Mustang.
I hear Flint is the area with the highest crime... was it like that back when you went to college?

I'm looking forward to your road trip and pics of the F + scenery. I would love to do one but can't take time off work.

As far as the booing, there will always be a never-ending argument between Japanese / American / German car owners, I experience it almost daily...
Old 07-25-12, 07:59 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

It sure was! I went to Kettering University from 2001 - 2006. The house I was staying in was broken into a few times, and a couple friends were mugged. Great education, but horrible location. Coming from Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley, it really didn't phase me. Kind of made me feel at home. hahaha.

I really haven't taken a vacation from work in a few years, so I figured I better do one now that I'm newly single again.