IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ZF’s 8-Speed Automatic Transmission in our ISF

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 04:19 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default ZF’s 8-Speed Automatic Transmission in our ISF

For many of us power gods, daily drivers, xcrossers, and those just wondering about the capability of our transmission over a period of time and reliability due to high mileage..Well for those whom may not know I decided to post this article Ive had about our transmission and its capability, usage, and power handling that was released in car and driver to to solidify its wide vehicle range of use, and WHOPPING power handling of 738 tq capabilites. Im sure that may be a peak reference to power handling but none the less should ease our fears on realibility

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...c-transmission
Old 07-19-12, 04:22 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great write up for you guys! I hope your transmission can last 200k miles in my IS-F
Old 07-19-12, 04:34 AM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes sir! Its funny after I read this article in 09 when I bought the car which was partially a nice selling point almost make me mentally want to drive the car harder lol.
Old 07-19-12, 04:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

The IS F has an Aisin AA80E, not a ZF gearbox.

http://www.dynotecindustries.com/vehicle/lexus.html
Old 07-19-12, 06:20 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Here is a gentlemen trying to put the IS-F Trans in front of a Buick 340 Motor.

http://www.msgpio.com/forums/viewtop...6ee47cdff2b427

And more misc links:

http://www.aisin.com/news/products/071016.html

http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/AA80E/AA80E.html
Old 07-19-12, 06:41 AM
ihadboost
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

This was an awesome read. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-19-12, 07:29 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Imagine the insanity....the ZF 8-speed transmission weighs 200lbs...which the article says is a great thing considering it's not much heavier than a 6-speed.

A 7-speed Xtract F1 transmission weighs only 88lbs.

Also....a typical road car alternator is roughly 10-15lbs...in F1...it's under lbs.
Old 07-19-12, 08:10 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb Aisin AA80E Transmission ~ 212 lbs for the Lexus IS-F

The Lexus IS-F Transmission Story in PDF

The Lexus IS-F Transmission Story in PDF

The Aisin AA80E Transmission weighs 212 lbs for the Lexus IS-F.

~ Joe Z
Old 07-19-12, 05:20 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

inside is a beauty wish i could stare at it all day lol
Old 07-19-12, 05:28 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JOE Z that is a beautiful picture. It looks so intricate and perfectly put together. The service rep at lexus told me if anything goes wrong with the IS-F transmission that it has to be sent off to japan in order to get fixed. Apparently they are not allowed to crack the case because they don't have a clean enough room to do it. He also said lexus does not trust any dealership to work on them.
Old 07-19-12, 11:41 PM
Valkirk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful pics and thanks for the reading links!
Old 07-19-12, 11:54 PM
boostftw
Lead Lap

wow joez thanks for posting that story and pics.
Old 07-20-12, 12:07 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
The service rep at lexus told me if anything goes wrong with the IS-F transmission that it has to be sent off to japan in order to get fixed. Apparently they are not allowed to crack the case because they don't have a clean enough room to do it. He also said lexus does not trust any dealership to work on them.
Zapa...I know you think your IS F is special....I think mine is special too...but hell...it ain't no Pagani Zonda

Do you really think for a multi-billion dollar a year company, they wouldn't have techs here that can service it? HOWEVER...I'm pretty sure if something were to go seriously wrong...they'd just put in a new trans and send the old one out to their labs to figure out what happened.

And why would your service rep say "Lexus does not trust any dealership to work on them"...what kind of dumbass is he? "I'm trained to work on this and this of your car, but not this..." <<<--My thinking would be...oh...you must be the techs that got D's in class then? DON'T WORK ON MY ISH! Some people are so stupid...they hype up ish to make it seem special...when really it just makes them look like morons.

OH BTW.....more evidence that your service rep is a dip ish....if it's sooooooo hard to work on...why is the below inside the 2009 IS F Lexus Technical Service Manual ??? Print this out and tell your service rep he's a dumbass and take your car to a dealership that's more confident in their skills....idiot. It's about 430 pages worth just for transmission service...

Last edited by Just F Me; 07-20-12 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 01:06 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you guys think of the likelihood of this transmission staying in the next generation IS-F?

I've always thought the 8-speed direct shift auto is one of the F's greatest points. Lightning fast shifting, can be driven like a granny in regular auto mode to keep the revs low to save on gas and also a rev-holding aggressive monster when you feel like pushing it, in both auto sport mode and manual mode. It's also proven to be rock-solid reliable for long-term mileage even if you track it on occasion, on top of all those benefits as well. I think it's the best of all worlds when it comes to transmissions, maybe except for weight.

So when people are speculating on the next gen with these spyshots with prototype/mules, why the constant harping about "needs a different transmission"? OK some might prefer stick shift with a traditional clutch but other than that, I really don't get the whining about it and the common insistence that it be changed to a DCT or PDK or whatever? (I haven't driven a PDK but I've driven a dual clutch and I don't see what the big deal is.)

Do any of you all feel the same way?
Old 07-20-12, 05:42 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Just F Me I will gladly tell my service rep that he does not know what he is talking about. I have wanted to do it for some time now. However, the tech that works on my car is the only one allowed to work on the LFA that is in the area. I trust the tech. The service rep not so much.

Quick Reply: ZF’s 8-Speed Automatic Transmission in our ISF