IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Am I being too picky? (promises made by dealer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 06:05 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I being too picky? (promises made by dealer)

So the most important piece of information from the start is...this was NOT from a Lexus dealership but a family owned used car place here in Baltimore that competes with Carmax.

Ok so I bought my 08 ISF about a month ago and was told by the dealer that they would a) remove the scratches on the rear bumper and b) that it was ready to go for XM...all I needed to do was call to have it switched over. The guy that sold me the car either quit or was fired right after I bought it but I brought the car in once to get the scratches buffed out (keep in mind dealer is about 40 miles away), was given a loaner and came back the next day. Nothing was done to the car. They said they couldn't buff the scratches out because they were too deep. Tried to talk to the sales manager but he wasn't in that day so I took it back home and called him a week later.

When I called him I explained the situation and the fact that the car was NOT ready for XM and that it was about $700 for Lexus to make it ready to use. He told me he would call back and see what he could do. He called back the next day and told me to bring the car back and they would fix the scratches and their guy could do the XM for about $450, which they would cover.

When I brought the car in yesterday the service department had the paperwork and told me everything was set to go, they were gonna fix the scratches, and XM would be $450. When I clarified that the sales manager said they would take care of that, he told me that he spoke with the sales manager earlier and was told they would NOT be paying the $450. At this point I'm pretty upset so I go talk to the sales manager and calmly say there is some kind of miscommunication between him and his service guy, and that they told me I would be paying the $450. At this point he denies every saying that and says he was trying to do me a favor by doing it cheaper than Lexus. I get pretty upset at this point but have already been gone from work about an hour and a half so I decide since that isn't going anywhere I will just drop it for now. I brought him out with me to show him the scratches on the bumper and told him the whole bumper needed to be taken off and repainted because I didn't want the color not matching up from a simple point and shoot spray. He told me "not to worry, his guy is the best and will make it right".

So today I go to pick the car up, they of course did NOT remove the bumper and sprayed over one area and wet sanded the other. The color matches pretty well I'll give him that, but obviously there is no clear coat on either spot anymore and the paint feels rough and looks somewhat duller than the rest of the bumper. I went over again to talk to the sales manager and explained this was not satisfactory and he kept arguing saying they couldn't take the bumper off on a car like this blah blah. I asked to speak to the owner and he said he would be back on Monday. I feel like they need to shell out the cash to bring it to a Lexus certified shop if they can't do it right and I'm planning on discussing this with the owner on Monday. What would you guys do in this situation?

Sorry for the long read!
Old 07-06-12, 06:41 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I took my rear bumper off in less then 5 minutes last night.
There is nothing differant about it vs. other Japanese cars. They should keep there promise. Typical dealership moves. They get you in the car and leave you at there mercy.
Old 07-06-12, 07:15 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter how high the temptation is to take the car home ALWAYS have it written in black and white what needs to be done either before possession or a waiting customer! There is really no more "Good faith" in the car business anymore.
Old 07-06-12, 07:40 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as being written, well I didn't get the XM thing written down because originally the guy told me it was g2g. I do have a "we owe you" paper filled out by the dealer saying the scratches on the bumper needed to be fixed.
Old 07-06-12, 09:02 PM
lexsane
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a used car. it is never going to be brand new again. that's why you didn't pay the new car price for it. Always get the lowest price for the car and take care of the fixes yourself..also if you didn't get it in writing then your wasting your time with the owner. Always have things taken care of before you take delivery..after you drive off the lot you lose your leverage.
Old 07-06-12, 09:23 PM
bradhop15
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem. I bought my F at Irvine BMW. They promised to repaint the front bumper because of curb rash and touch up a couple rock chips and detail the car. They didnt remove the front bumper. They DA sanded on my grill. They ripped off a piece of weather stripping, and then try to argue about everything. Theres a lot more details, but I dont want to keep going on about it. Pissed me off. Dealers are such a pain.
Old 07-07-12, 08:40 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bradhop15
I had a similar problem. I bought my F at Irvine BMW. They promised to repaint the front bumper because of curb rash and touch up a couple rock chips and detail the car. They didnt remove the front bumper. They DA sanded on my grill. They ripped off a piece of weather stripping, and then try to argue about everything. Theres a lot more details, but I dont want to keep going on about it. Pissed me off. Dealers are such a pain.
The Irvine BMW sales staff are some.of the worst and rudest salesmen I've dealt with. Th3y are another reason I didn't buy an M3!
Old 07-08-12, 10:38 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver10
No matter how high the temptation is to take the car home ALWAYS have it written in black and white what needs to be done either before possession or a waiting customer! There is really no more "Good faith" in the car business anymore.
+1

It sux but this isn't the first time I've heard of stories like this
Old 07-08-12, 01:11 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RCM83
Thanks for the replies guys.

As far as being written, well I didn't get the XM thing written down because originally the guy told me it was g2g. I do have a "we owe you" paper filled out by the dealer saying the scratches on the bumper needed to be fixed.
The we owe you will serve as a binding agreement for the scratches, but forget the XM. Sounds like a _issing contest at the point.
Old 07-08-12, 01:39 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF001
The we owe you will serve as a binding agreement for the scratches, but forget the XM. Sounds like a _issing contest at the point.
Ya the only thing I'm worried about now is that they will say they did "fix" the scratches....albeit in an extremely cheap way