IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS F Back to Back Comparison with GS350 F Sport: Test Drive at Stevens Creek Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 12:55 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default IS F Back to Back Comparison with GS350 F Sport: Test Drive at Stevens Creek Lexus

Who I am
A little about me, to set the stage: I’m a 38 year old professional, married with one son and another child on the way. I have been a car guy all my life, although I’ve usually let my practical side guide automotive purchases. Nonetheless, I devour all the magazines, websites, and forums like this one, and tend to get a little compulsive about knowing all the specs of a vehicle I’m interested in. It’s not saying much, but I have never met a salesperson who knows as much as I do about the car I’m investigating. I usually have to tone it down a little and ask them a few soft ball questions so that they can feel that they’re giving me some new information.
I currently own: 2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition which my wife has appropriated as the family truckster. 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid which my wife brought to the marriage and I now use as my daily driver for a 90 mile round trip commute. I am currently researching my next ride, which will likely end up being a third car. I am not cross shopping other brands. When I finally started buying Toyotas and experienced the build quality and reliability, I became a loyal customer. It would take a lot to draw me away, considering the experiences I’ve had. My Nissan 370Z Roadster was fun but far from Toyota-bulletproof.
What I did
I went over to Stevens Creek Lexus in San Jose, CA with the intention of test driving a GS350 F Sport. It was a hot 90+ degree Tuesday afternoon. Side note: When I walked in to the showroom, I was surprised to see a white on white LFA. It had a garish discount tag hanging from the rear view mirror, “Discounted from $398,000 to $375,000!” I was later informed that a Googler had purchased it and immediately traded it in because he didn’t like the color of the interior.
When the salesman took me to the second floor to look at the inventory of GS’s, we came across a black on red IS F and I stopped dead in my tracks. The car is very arresting in person, with aggressive, tight lines and an attractive stance. What I ended up doing was a back to back comparison on the same stretch of road and freeway of the IS F and GS350 F Sport (NGP on black). Both had all the bells and whistles, save for the GS which was unfortunately missing the LDH package, which I had wanted for Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS).
What I thought
IS F
Still looks great, less boy racer, and obvious Lexus is paying attention to the details. Unlike earlier model years, the quad tips are actually connected to the muffler <<EDIT: Several attentive members pointed out that the quad exhaust is NOT connected to the muffler.>>
Interior is showing its age, especially compared to its new sibling. It’s comfortable in a snug sort of way, and still feels high quality. However interior materials aren’t up to par. Cabin tech is functional but outdated. Except for the instrument panel. All you need to see on that instrument panel is the blue needle on the big tach and you know this car means business. For the price $65K+, the interior needs a serious refresh.
This was my first time driving an IS F. After all the talk about how harsh the ride was, I was extremely impressed with the new for 2011 suspension tuning and chassis. Going over parking garage speed bumps, dipping driveways, surface streets and freeways, the IS F exhibited an extremely well controlled ride that was the perfect mix of daily drivability and sufficient feedback. The noise levels in the cabin when cruising at 70mph were similar to those in the Camry.
The transmission is really amazing with 8 speeds of technical marvelousness. For a torque converter automatic, it’s actually the most technically impressive part of the car. I’m now convinced that those that say it’s too slow didn’t know how to use the transmission. In “granny mode” the shifts are barely perceptible. In sport mode, with the gear lever in the manual slot, downshifts are immediate, ferociously barking as the revs are matched and the tach lights up.

I was in love. There was an instantaneous and visceral connection with this car. Everything about the sound, the cockpit, The speed and the high level of capability that captured my soul.

GS350 F Sport
The exterior is handsome and has some subtlety to it that will keep an owner happy discovering its nuances. I struggled to maintain my enthusiasm as my eye traced the lines from front fascia (super aggressive) to rear end (tailored suit). What’s nice is that this car would look at home canyon carving (front end) or taking a client to lunch (rear). It’s tough to find a really flattering color. In my opinion, you can really only choose the Starfire, Nebula, or Obsidian. The other colors just don’t flatter the lines on this car: even the Liquid Platinum, which was supposedly designed to accentuate the complex surfaces, did not impress.
The interior of the GS scores big where the IS F fails. The cabin feels special with impeccable materials and layout. The seats are superb in both, but the GS gets a slight advantage because they are cooled, and benefit from thigh support extenders (huge plus if you have long legs). The whole package feels thoroughly modern and just a pleasant place to spend a lot of time. As far as the enform system, I’m a contrarian. I like the haptic feedback joystick control and can see how one would get used to it over time. However, I found the User Interface (UI) on the screen to look dated and bloated, almost as if they supersized it just to fit the large screen. In general, I would like to see the automotive industry take a much bigger step in terms of infotainment offerings. When the public in general is used to the experience of an iPad, these automotive systems seem downright primitive. Perhaps its time for Lexus to outsource these functions or partner?
The GS rides like a typical Lexus when you need it to – smooth and quiet - but can transform itself into a well-controlled fun machine by dialing in Sport + mode. This level of adjustability is a great feature for an all-around daily driver. It took me a bit of time to really get the feel for it, but going from normal mode to sport + mode makes a distinct difference, and I could see using it on a daily basis, switching back and forth between “attack that curve” to “creep down the freeway”.
What I liked best about the GS was the combination of luxury and sport. It’s more than competent at everything. But is “competent” enough?
Drive Comparison
Straight out of the dealership the salesman gunned both engines. The IS F snapped my head back and pulled like crazy, roaring an insane war cry. Superb! I couldn’t help but smile. Switching to the GS’s V6 (maybe I should have driven this one first), there was a strong, quick buildup, but it definitely didn’t push us into our seats and I found the sound of the engine simply to be a potent power plant, being pushed hard. The only strong emotion was, “Wow, this is pretty good for what it is.”
The three point turn: Going into a driveway, neither car scraped the bodywork. However, you could feel the IS’s robust setup keep the car very stiff. Pulling the GS in the same driveway caused a bit of back and forth body roll.
On a U-turn which I was able to take with a bit of throttle in both cars: The IS-F rear end started sliding out (which is what I wanted). The GS didn’t quite understeer, but it was at this point that I felt its full weight. I think this is where DRS would really make a difference. I would tick the LDH option on my GS.
On the freeway, both were quiet and sedate. I was pleasantly surprised by the IS F in this regard. I would have no problem taking it on my daily commute for comfort. Surprising considering the performance capabilities of this car. The GS was definitely quieter and smoother, but not by that much, surely a side effect of the 19” wheels and tires.
A few twists were available, mainly thanks to a decreasing radius two-lane on ramp, the GS felt just as sure footed as the IS F. The turn in is crisp and the feedback was decent. Roadholding had a similar feel: They both felt as if they were on rails. In terms of changing directions quickly and confidently, the GS felt incredibly good, with precise steering that I didn’t expect. The IS F, however, was otherworldly, with little lean, and serious grip. I was able to squirt into position with a dab of the throttle, hold my line, and launch out effortlessly. The IS F is the whole package and made for a much more engaging machine.

Conclusion
IS F: The car makes me want to go over the top with praise. Gawd does it feel good when you nail the pedal and Thor’s hammer strikes the anvil, shooting lightening out of the exhaust. The IS F is addictive – creating an intense adrenaline rush.
GS F Sport RWD: This car is more potent and capable than it has any right to be. The dynamics are shockingly good, and really do closely match the IS F if it were one class larger. The GS leaves the IS in the dust for interior refinement, but that will be fixed in the 2014 model year. The GS F Sport is highly competent at accomplishing its mission.

What I would do
Lexus is taking the next logical step forward with vehicles like the GS. A company with Toyota’s resources should be injecting IS F levels of excitement across the line. It’s only logical that next generation IS will be a pint-sized GS, with the spindle grille and most importantly, the upgraded cabin. With rumors that the next IS will be based on the FR-S chassis, I expect the driving dynamics to improve as well. Will there be a GS F introduced soon with the 5.0 liter V8 from the IS F? We can all hope so. Until then, I will take an IS F for my driving excitement and stick with the Camry for mundane transportation.

Last edited by NewSpace; 06-23-12 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-22-12, 01:08 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what your getting at with the exhaust tips, I don't think they've been changed over the years.

So are you actually going to buy the ISF?
Old 06-22-12, 02:38 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, longest post I've EVER read, I had to skim some of it...

Quad exhaust tips are still not connected to the muffler for the ISF. I have not been in a GS F-sport but have seen the interior. I would not say the F is 'outdated' when doing a comparison. Bear in mind that the GS F-sport is the 2013 model, and the ISF is 2011. There will be some minor improvements with the interior.

IMO, I am addicted to speed so I went with the ISF (didn't even wait for the GS F-sport). Mine is a 2008 and I still prefer my interior over other comparable luxury cars (audi s4, bmw m3, etc). ~307 HP out of the factory just doesn't do it for me.

The F is a VERY exclusive car. It's not as common as the GS F-sport is becoming. I've seen more random GS F-sports in the past few months than I've seen random ISF's in the past 4 years.

So, IMO, if you want exclusivity and speed: ISF. If you want a little bit more luxury: GS F-sport
Old 06-22-12, 03:04 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Very very nice comparison.

Though, I am just not sure about the tailpipes connection.

Do you work for a car a magazine?
Old 06-22-12, 05:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Unlike earlier model years, the quad tips are actually connected to the muffler
Nope, they are not. They still use the diffuser with the muffler emptying into that and the gases then going to the tips. With the tips mounted rigidly to the bumper and the mufflers being a vibrating moving part, if Lexus did attach the muffler directly to the tips, it would rip the tip assembly to shreds. BTW, I know the LS also uses this approach and I have a feeling the new GS does as well. I have seen the new GS, but did not look underneath it. Other cars that use this approach are the Audi R8, Ferrari F430 Scuderia and California, and etc.

Lou
Old 06-22-12, 06:15 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy picked up a new gs f sport and yes interior is way different from the IsF but I still love the raw feel of the IsF and the overall look even though this body style has been out for 7 years now
Old 06-22-12, 06:48 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You compared an Sporty V8 engine with a blah V6...........What did you think was gonna be the out come

The interior of the GS is great, front bumper looks pretty nice, but the rear is where they f'd up. I've seen a couple so far in the street from the rear, and every time I was like is that a Hyundai??
Old 06-22-12, 07:17 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
You compared an Sporty V8 engine with a blah V6...........What did you think was gonna be the out come

The interior of the GS is great, front bumper looks pretty nice, but the rear is where they f'd up. I've seen a couple so far in the street from the rear, and every time I was like is that a Hyundai??
I owned a 2009 GS 350 before buying the F. Trust me when I say it's a great sedan but it's far from being an F. The 2013 GS 350 f-sport "feels" fast on it climb to 60 in 5.7 secs--the same time as the 2009. While it handles better, Lexus knows a true GS-F is needed to compete with the M5 (and for that matter to share the ground next to the IS-F).

I also believe seasoned F drivers have a tough time with this comparison. Again, two different animals for two quite different drivers.

I was told by Lexus today the GS-F is a 2014 car...we'll see then if it can "F"ly.
Old 06-22-12, 07:30 PM
mugenh22a4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too long to read...I'll save this for my next bathroom break at work.
Old 06-22-12, 09:06 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Apples and oranges but nice work doing it.
Old 06-23-12, 12:33 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

The most important thing the Op forgot is the ISF comes with 8-speed Sport Direct Shift , with sequential shift , The wheel-mounted paddle shifters allow for gear shifting while steering, and a manual mode can be selected for added control . The GS Fsport is identical engine as the IS350, they are gears limiter only

Last edited by ISF4life; 06-23-12 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 02:00 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has a custom ordered GS F sport and I love the interior and the much needed exterior overhaul. Its like a German car with Lexus reliability. I could never get rid of my IS-F for one though.
Old 06-23-12, 08:00 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

This looks like a knock-off / re-write story from the latest Car & Driver. I've read this story recently while on vacation in Carmel, but this author made some changes. I believe it was Car & Driver, but I certainly remember it was specifically written to compare the GS350 F Sport and the ISF and in a VERY similar tone.

Anyway, too long, stopped reading soon after realizing what I said above.
Old 06-23-12, 08:55 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new GS is a fail.. when it comes to power.
Old 06-23-12, 09:43 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Not really. The GS-F w/ a 3.5 is more of a marketing move. Think of it as a sedan w/ improved handling. It obviously is not going to turn heads w/ its power. It competes w/ the likes of the G37 or a 530/535/.

Quick Reply: IS F Back to Back Comparison with GS350 F Sport: Test Drive at Stevens Creek Lexus