IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Carbon Fiber Engine Pieces

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 10:52 AM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon Fiber Engine Pieces

After looking at pics of the CCS-R engine bay I want to purchase carbon fiber engine covers like they have over the radiator. There was a comment in that thread that mentioned you can purchase these on eBay, I looked into it and its only for the IS250-350, the seller says they do not have anything for the F.

I have a connection to a manufacture for Automotive Carbon Fiber parts, I approached them about building all our plastic engine covers out of carbon fiber, they said they can do it for me as a one off build (Very Expensive) or they can overlay carbon on our original plastic. It would be a better option for them to create a mold and build the piece entirely out of carbon instead of the overlay.

Let me know if this is something you would be interested in purcahsing and ill get a feel for the pricing to build these.

If there are any other parts you would like in carbon let me know and I can approach them with those ideas and get a feel for the cost to produce these.
Old 06-18-12, 12:01 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested in hearing further details. If the quality, fittment and pricing was right I would think those would be nice parts to have in my bay.
Old 06-18-12, 12:05 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a good option just depends on the $ my friend made me a CF engine cover for my old Acura TL-S came out legit looking he just covered my existing engine cover maybe i can speak to him about doing a few but obviously hes a one man show lol takes him some time!
Old 06-18-12, 12:11 PM
Apexsports
Pole Position

Thanks for looking into it. I'd be interested depending on the pricing/fitment quality.

Another piece that would be nice to have in carbon is the plastic piece between the top of the hood and windshield where the windshield wipers are mounted.
Old 06-18-12, 12:15 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the price is right i would be interested too
Old 06-18-12, 12:27 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

*subscribed for interest.....
Old 06-18-12, 12:31 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Originally Posted by Apexsports
Thanks for looking into it. I'd be interested depending on the pricing/fitment quality.

Another piece that would be nice to have in carbon is the plastic piece between the top of the hood and windshield where the windshield wipers are mounted.
Yes, this is a part I really want to make as well. Thansk for reminding me. I think this would be called the cowl or something like that. It would be a clean subtle carbon additon
Old 06-18-12, 12:36 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

^ yea that would be cool as it is seen with the hood closed
Old 06-18-12, 12:40 PM
IsFast3r
Pole Position

Id be interested in the engine bay CF pieces (depending on fitment and price) but I'd also like to see some more inexpensive CF covers for both our grills/fog covers and mirror covers. Everything out there from LEMS etc is ridiculously expensive and if can be replicated or made at a more reasonable price I'm sure there'd be a market for it amongst the ISF guys... thanks for looking into this!
Old 06-18-12, 12:58 PM
RobPR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed!!
Old 06-18-12, 01:07 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm interested...can he do the silver cf?
Old 06-18-12, 01:21 PM
SpmMorrow
Driver

Originally Posted by LiLS
hmm interested...can he do the silver cf?
He has tons of colors. The colored fiber material is typically kevlar, Im not sure how well the silver would match our cars but Ill check next week when I meet again
Old 06-18-12, 01:34 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Cowls are tough to get right, they have to fit perfect. You have to match the fender edge, lay flat on the windshield with no gap, get the vents to look good, secure a mesh bellow the vents, clear the wiper arms perfectly, match all the mounting points perfectly, ect. If one thing is off a hair it throws the whole fittment off.
I am working on an MR2 build right now and the owner purchased a very nice CF cowl. It had a little fitment issue at the corner of the fender and along the windshield. Those little issues where enough to abandon the idea.

Not impossible but defiantly one of the more complex parts to mold.

The rear seat tray would be nice to have.
Old 06-18-12, 02:02 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexsports

that would be sik... I like my engine cover
Old 06-18-12, 03:56 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

I think Figs had made a CF engine cover prototype at one point.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Engine Pieces