IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clear Bra...how many of you guys have it?

Old 06-16-12, 06:17 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCM83
? I dunno the owner told me he's been working with it for years.

Just one of many reviews out there on the guy http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324938
Dont worry about the price. If you see the work and are happy with it go for it. Everyone in here lives in different areas of the country so prices vary. When I was installing in SoCal I was charging around $200 more per car because that is what the market was... and the cost of living compared to Texas was much higher. There are just too many variables to think of when discussing price... so do not worry about the price. I have seen some really crappy installs that people paid way more than what I charge. In fact I just pulled fil off of a new Tahoe today where the shop chraged right at twice what i did... and the install was terrible. Cut paint EVERYWHERE and dirt under the film. I am guessing they charge more to cover their redos and possibly the resprays of clients cars.
Old 06-18-12, 01:30 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well i'll say with 70000 miles on my F, it's a good thing mine has one... I'd have SOOO many stone chips and crap all over my car. There are a few where the plastic doesn't cover. (roof area somehow)

Other than that though the car is like it came out of the show room... I can't say the same about the windshield.. The debris on the side of the 101 or 280 is pretty bad and keep chipping or cracking my windshield.. it's pretty bad. Seriously, they need to clean the side of the highways...
Old 06-18-12, 01:35 AM
HEWITT
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a clear bra on mine for three years now and it does save you from small rock chips, especially if you drive your car alot
Old 07-18-12, 08:56 PM
faeflora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bough an IS-F last month. Has 700 miles on it. New, 2012.

Came with the "factory" lexus clear bra option, with the little lexus symbol on the hood, and the lexus word on the rear bumper.

Picked up a bunch of bugs, and so I washed the car last saturday. The bug juice ate into the damn clear bra on the hood!!! WTF!!!

Anyone else have this issue?

Dealer said they would replace. I told them I didn't want another 'lexus brand" clear bra.
Old 07-19-12, 04:01 AM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCM83
So I called a guy near me to see how much it would cost to get my 08 done. Quoted me $650 for front bumper, lights, fenders, mirrors, and probably 3/4 of the front hood. He said he would also get rid of any of the flecks and small scratches that are on the lower front bumper and just include it in the $650 as long as it wasn't something he had to remove the bumper for. This is using the 3M ventureshield too.

Anyways how many of you guys have been happy that you spent the extra to get it done? I'm pretty **** about scratches so I think for me it would be worth it, but my main question is what happens when a bigger rock hits the clear bra? Does it cause a small rip in the material that will slowly start to peel away as you wash the car or does it just kinda bounce off?

Thanks guys

- R
Good that you found that service at that price. But at $650, it almost sounds too low to be of good quality or experienced work.....just my 0.02. It is very important to go with someone with experience when getting the clear bra. Typically, it's around $1K or more. Just be careful.
Old 07-19-12, 04:09 AM
Super6
Driver

Speed shield here in Dallas charges $1850. When I went to get my wrap taken off I had the lowlyiest car in the lot. He was working on a R8, Ferrari, and other river toys than mine...
Old 07-19-12, 04:19 AM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ thats way high... I got mine done for $1300
Old 07-19-12, 04:23 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Super6
Speed shield here in Dallas charges $1850. When I went to get my wrap taken off I had the lowlyiest car in the lot. He was working on a R8, Ferrari, and other river toys than mine...
Trey is very high... very.
Old 07-19-12, 05:42 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow. Amazed to see how much you guys are paying.

To remove the clear bra, you need to make sure that its nice and warm. Use a hair dryer on high, or a heat gun on low. You want to make sure that when you are pulling it off you do not separate the adhesive layer from the vinyl layer. If you do happen to do that, use some "Acrysol", "Goo Gone" or "3M Adhesive remover" to remove the adhesive, while using a microfiber towel.

Installing them is very easy as well, you wet everything down with a soap/water solution throw it on a clean car, and remove all the water underneath using a credit card sized piece of plastic covered by a soft towel.

They even make kits that are precut kits from 3M and other manufacturers that you can order online and put on yourself from around 150.00 to 400.00 dollars. There is a new type of film out that even "repairs itself" when scratched.
Old 07-19-12, 06:31 AM
ToooZeRo
Rookie

My pops just got this done to his white bmw x5... I'm not a big fan of it because you can see the line of the clear bra on the hood portion. But I tell you want, he's glad he's done it because he drives that thing all over the Tri-state and it's definitely worth it for him. Just my opinion, i probably wouldn't get it but if you drive highway (where rock chips are concerns), then go for it! Please take pics!
Old 07-19-12, 06:39 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

My shop charged me just under $500 to just do my front bumper in a 3M clear bra. I'm happy with it, and plan to go back to get the front third of my hood done as well. Sure, some people go all the way with it and get the entire car wrapped, but I'm not going that far. I have an Obsidian IS-F so rock chips DEFINITELY will show.