Which Wheel for track duty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 09:03 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Wheel for track duty?

Ok guys....
Please don't blast me for starting another "which wheel should I get for the track" thread, but I REALLY need your help..... I know NOTHING about offsets, and what it takes to make sure a wheel fits right (around the calipers and also fits nice in the wheel well, etc). I need to get this sorted out so I can order and get them in by next months track day. The first part of this post is some background and the end is the meat of my question....
Here's my predicament... I have been tracking my car a few times with OEM wheels and intially the Bridgestone Potenza REO50's (suck) and 2 months ago got some upsized width Michelin PSS's. As my other recent thread shows.... Those tires are not wearing well on the Front outside of the tires probably due to: the track, my agressive DD driving, lack of negative camber. After only 2 track days and about 2K miles on this set, they're showing some concerning small areas of rubber coming off and after tomorrow (my 3rd track day on this set) I'm sure I'll have to replace my front pair due to excessive outside wear, even though the rest of the tire looks good.
I had been considering and wanting track dedicated wheels and R comp tires for the track anyway, and now I finally have an excuse for my wife to let me do this....
I had pretty much planned on getting the same square 18" setup that SCCAForums successfully ran (Enkei PF01's 18"x9.5" +45 offset) that he says fits well and either Hoosier R6's or Khumo 710's in sizes 285/30/18 that he has also verified to fit with this setup. Not all tires in this size will fit well however, as someone on here, in the middle east I belive, bought some Toyo Proxy 888's in this same size for his PF01's and there was some clearance issues.... I had even considered using my winter wheels ('08 OEM's) and swapping out track/winter tires twice per year, but there is very few options R-comp tires in sizes that would work well and they seem to be VERY PRICEY! (about $2K for Michelin Pilot sport cup +N's), not to mention about $300 per year in mounting/balancing to make the switch, so I think this actually might be a more economical solution.
Anyway, I digress, I was looking at the Enkei website and came across these GTC01's. (see below) Although they are similiar, I like the look of them better (hyper black looks cool), but they come in slightly different offsets (9.5" width only comes in +38 offset) so I'm really not sure if they would work. (THAT'S WHERE YOU FITMENT EXPERTS COME IN!) They are also roughly 2lbs heavier and about $100-150 more compared to the PF01's for the set as far as I can tell.
My other main consideration is that I'd eventually in the next year or so, like to get some coilovers and would want to lower the front by about 0.75-1.0 inch and the rear by maybe about 0.25-0.5 inches, and I wouldn't be thrilled about needing to do some fender mods, so I need to have your reccomendations take that into consideration. SCCAForums was running at stock height without fender mods, but I doubt there was much room left to lower...
Also, does anybody know if this dual valve thing on the GTC01's is a gimmick or does it really give any advantages?
If I go PF01's.. should I go black or silver?
Would it gain me some extra clearance somehow for when I eventually do drop the car some to go to a narrower wheel/tire or a different offset?
Wheels on Left are GTC01's and on the Right is the PF01's.
Attached Thumbnails Which Wheel for track duty?-gtc01-large-1-.jpg   Which Wheel for track duty?-pf01-black-1-.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GTC01.pdf (34.2 KB, 597 views)

Last edited by ERDoc74; 06-12-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-12-12, 09:28 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I kind of like these too, but prefered they didn't have a machined lip and came in a uniform color.....
RSM9's they come in the 18x9.5" +45 offsets like the PF01's and are the same weight as those as as well....
Also, should I get some forgot their exact name, but saw someone mention them on here somewhere... " hubcentric ring" to go between the wheel/rotor hat?
Attached Thumbnails Which Wheel for track duty?-enkei_rsm9_large-1-.jpg  
Old 06-13-12, 01:13 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I read your thread title my immediate thought was Enkei rpf1s since they're light and inexpensive. and I see you've already considered Enkeis so that great.

in regards to offset and brake clearance: the offset has nothing to do with brake clearance. the inner design of wheel face dictates brake and wheel clearance.

wheel offset does dictate clearance in regards to suspension (coil overs, springs, etc)
Old 06-13-12, 01:19 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ProperD
when I read your thread title my immediate thought was Enkei rpf1s since they're light and inexpensive. and I see you've already considered Enkeis so that great.

in regards to offset and brake clearance: the offset has nothing to do with brake clearance. the inner design of wheel face dictates brake and wheel clearance.

wheel offset does dictate clearance in regards to suspension (coil overs, springs, etc)
Sorry, but offset does dictate brake clearance.

"Brake caliper clearance also comes into play when discussing offset"

http://www.wheelsnext.com/content/wheel_tech.html
Old 06-13-12, 01:48 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

you are misinformed/misunderstand and the paragraph you provided and quoted isnt very clear. in regards to offset and brake clearance. the only thing that is definitively true is that the correct size spacer will push a wheel's face far enough from the brakes to allow the wheel to fit.

i wish i could provide you better drawings to help you understand, this is all i could find:
http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec.../photo_03.html

"Another misconception is that a higher offset number means more brake clearance. Brake clearance is determined by face and spoke design. You can have a +100 ET rim with a super-concave face that has no room for large calipers. Just the same, you can have a -100 ET rim with such a curved convex face, that it allows for large aftermarket calipers."

ERDOC, perhaps reviewing this tech article will help you understand offset/fitment/clearance/etc better
http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...fitment_guide/
Old 06-13-12, 08:01 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

The RPF1's do reportedly fit... but BARELEY... the wheel ALMOST touches the brake calipers and don't want to cut it that close....
So can you tell by looking at the pics if the GTC01's would fit or do you need to see the backside of the wheel then to know?
Old 06-13-12, 08:17 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

i did a super quick search of 'rpf1' within 'isf', you should do the same with the other types of wheels.

i got this photo

from this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...u-using-2.html
Old 06-13-12, 08:18 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

^the pf01s, obviously
Old 06-13-12, 06:50 PM
FMA08ISF
Driver School Candidate

Doc, I've wheel suggestion for you. Check this out:

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_Nurburgring.php

Last edited by FMA08ISF; 06-13-12 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-13-12, 10:03 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FMA08ISF
Doc, I've wheel suggestion for you. Check this out:

http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_Nurburgring.php
Those are nice, but I'm thinking they are too similiar to the OEM ('10-'11) style I have currently and not a fan of cleaning them... wnat something more simple like the spokes on the wheels above.....

You other guys,
Thx for the wheel offset calculator link... and explanation... I'm still not sure if the GTC01's would fit (and be sort of flush) or not...? Maybe I should just go to a local wheel shop and have them do some measurements and give some recs...?

Last edited by ERDoc74; 07-07-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-14-12, 02:38 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Well, I found some pics of an IS 350 with the GTC01's and they didn't look as good as I thought...
I did, however, find out that the RSM9's do come in all platinum silver, but the availability seems very limited compared to the piano black/machined rim. Tire rack said they would have to special order them from japan with a 45-60 day lead time (therefore I'd miss next months track day)
What do you guys think about the black vs the platinum silver on a USB F? (silver is below.... black is above.)
Also... what about "centering rings?" do i need them?

I found this japanese website with pics of both on some cars....
http://www.japantune.co.kr/index.php...ument_srl=1345
Attached Thumbnails Which Wheel for track duty?-b827d3f777d122b88afcdbc66cafacf2-1-.jpg  
Old 06-14-12, 02:52 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

i prefer silver. im going home now. ill touch on centering rings later if no one else has
Old 06-14-12, 03:00 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ProperD
i prefer silver. im going home now. ill touch on centering rings later if no one else has
thx!

found a pic of this car (similiar color to my USB F) with the Black RSM9's
Attached Thumbnails Which Wheel for track duty?-enkeirsm9subarugrb2-1-.jpg  
Old 06-14-12, 07:32 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

OK... I'm really starting to like and have decided on the black RSM9's now... but I don't know if the 18x9.5 +45 offset is the size I should get or should I get the +35 offset that is also available...... So, If I'm understanding this right the +35 offset wheel should be closer to the outside of the fenders than the +45's right? Wouldn't that give me more clearance on the inside of the wheel/tire from the suspension parts that was problematic for the member here from the middle east somewhere that used PF01's with Toyo Proxe 888's? I'm really nervous about fitment with the tires of course (planning on 285/30/18's) especially in the front with the future 3/4-1 inch drop.... CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE OPINION/ADVICE! I want to order these ASAP so I can go to plan B if these don't fit/workout, but would like to get it right the first time to avoid more hastle, etc.!
Old 06-14-12, 07:43 PM
ISFFF
Driver

The Enkei PF01 is a good option. They look simple and nice and the price is affordable.

Here are some picture of those mounted on my car. Just make sure not to go for Toyos for your tier choice. They wont clear the fron suspensions.
Attached Thumbnails Which Wheel for track duty?-img_0130.jpeg   Which Wheel for track duty?-img_0132.jpeg   Which Wheel for track duty?-img_0129.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Which Wheel for track duty?