IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Which Wheel for track duty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 07:55 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AHHH !!! You're they guy that was having the troubles with the Toyos! So, are you just living with the clearance issue (as your pics have your tires on there) or did you change to something else after the pics? Did you end up using the centering rings?
I may just end up using PF01's if I can't get the RSM9's to work..... are you lowered at all? or at stock height? If at stock height.... how much do you think you could lower it front/rear before you started having issues with that setup????
THANKS FOR THE PICS!
Old 06-14-12, 11:15 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DOC, when a wheel has positive offset, that means the wheels face is CLOSER to the fender as you put it. and the larger that positive number, the closer to the fender. SO a +45 is closer to the fender than the +35, which means LESS inside (suspension) clearance.

and you werent planning on 285s in the front, right!? in the rear theyll be fine, in the front they wont fit.

as for wheel color. if you ever came across a color that wasnt available and you would have to wait for months, you could always get it painted for $100 or less a wheel. but since theyre your track wheels, the paint might not last too long.

whats your name, btw. Mines Dale.
Old 06-15-12, 03:47 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ProperD
DOC, when a wheel has positive offset, that means the wheels face is CLOSER to the fender as you put it. and the larger that positive number, the closer to the fender. SO a +45 is closer to the fender than the +35, which means LESS inside (suspension) clearance.

and you werent planning on 285s in the front, right!? in the rear theyll be fine, in the front they wont fit.

as for wheel color. if you ever came across a color that wasnt available and you would have to wait for months, you could always get it painted for $100 or less a wheel. but since theyre your track wheels, the paint might not last too long.

whats your name, btw. Mines Dale.
I'm confused, looking at wheel offset diagrams and also using this wheel offset calculator....
http://1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
it looks like the +35 offset wheel would give more inside clearance and "stick out further" than the +45 offset wheel compared to stock. (9mm less inside clearance and extending out 29mm for the +35 compared to stock vs. 19mm less inside clearance and extending out 19mm for the +45)
is that wrong?

My name is Michael BTW
Old 06-15-12, 06:27 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

the "+" means add XXmm.
so +35 means 35mm from the center of the wheel
and +45 means +45mm from the center of the wheel.
the larger the number, the less clearance for suspension
Old 06-15-12, 06:57 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

9" wheel with a positive offset of 38 (+38)

9" wheel with a positive offset of 16 (+16)

i hope the photos are good enough for you to be able to tell that the top photo (+38) has less lip than the bottom photo. in this example, of wheels the same size but different offsets, the higher offset (+38) wheel has less clearance for the suspension.
Old 06-15-12, 07:17 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

^^^. I've talked to 2 different wheel tire places and they both are telling me the opposite of what you're saying... If the "face" of the wheel is more towards the outside of the wheel (i.e. a higher offset,) then when it mounts to the hub, won't it then place the inside of the wheel more towards the inside of the wheel well and therefore the suspension parts???
Old 06-15-12, 08:13 PM
jchong
Driver

[QUOTE=ProperD;7298512]DOC, when a wheel has positive offset, that means the wheels face is CLOSER to the fender as you put it. and the larger that positive number, the closer to the fender. SO a +45 is closer to the fender than the +35, which means LESS inside (suspension) clearance.

I always thought it was the opposite of this??? When I had my civic the stock rim was +45, when I bought aftermarket wheels they were +35 and they were flush with the fenders..... Just my $.02.
Old 06-16-12, 01:55 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ERDoc74
^^^. I've talked to 2 different wheel tire places and they both are telling me the opposite of what you're saying... If the "face" of the wheel is more towards the outside of the wheel (i.e. a higher offset,) then when it mounts to the hub, won't it then place the inside of the wheel more towards the inside of the wheel well and therefore the suspension parts???
^yes, exactly.

[quote=jchong;7300448]

I always thought it was the opposite of this??? When I had my civic the stock rim was +45, when I bought aftermarket wheels they were +35 and they were flush with the fenders..... Just my $.02.
^, were the wheels the same size?
Old 06-16-12, 02:01 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

LOOK WHAT I MADE FOR YOU GENTS!

does this help?

Last edited by Dawa; 06-16-12 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-16-12, 02:32 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

^as you can see, the more positive offset, the less clearance for suspension.
Old 06-16-12, 01:02 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

LOOK WHAT I MADE FOR YOU GENTS!

does this help?
ProperD,,,,
I owe you an apology... I read your first explanation on this like 5 times and I still managed to misread it!
You were right in the first post and everything you've said is correct!
Thanks for the pic! definitely clears up any confusion i still had....
Old 06-16-12, 03:15 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jchong
[

there are a few people running 285's in the front....
Old 06-16-12, 05:55 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

no apology needed. understanding the whole offset thing isnt an easy concept for most people to grasp. and sometimes things can be misread/misinterpreted.
however, i really dont advise that much tire in the front. i feel that the less tire upfront, the easier and more responsive the turning is. however, if the guys at the track suggest it, then they might have experience for their reasonings.
Old 06-18-12, 12:57 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So what offset are people running I'd love to get a set of RPF1's I was thinking the -45 offset is probably the best for 9.5's all around or RPF1's with 38 offset and 10" all around and running 275 Azenis RT-615K's

So 18's clear the front calipers I'm pretty sure 17's are too small right? Basically I want the smallest rim I can fit size wise and fattest/lightest
Old 06-18-12, 08:45 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I've heard that 17's won't fit and see sccaforums thread about the RPF1's, but they only cleared the calipers by a hair so he ended up using the PF01's instead.

Quick Reply: Which Wheel for track duty?