IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Eneos Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 07:38 AM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eneos Synthetic Oil

The previous owner of my 08 ISF used eneos synthetic oil and I would like to do the same. Any recommendations of shops in Los Angeles/SFV that stock eneos and do the oil change? Thanks.
Old 05-30-12, 07:45 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I've never heard of that one. If you have problems finding it, you can always use Mobil 1 Synthetic. A lot of members, including myself, use Mobil 1.
Old 05-30-12, 08:16 AM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

eneos is pretty hard to find in the states but there are plenty of other fully synthetic oils that are just as good

amazon has eneos btw

if ur looking for an alternative I like motul, which is what I use
Old 05-30-12, 12:52 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you go wtih a 5w30 and a synthetic you'll be fine. Don't run that hyped up Eneos 0w50 oil
Old 05-30-12, 04:36 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

thanks guys! I'm leaning towards going with mobil 1 since it seems to be quite popular here . I have a good independent mechanic that serviced my 98 gs400 the last couple years and considering taking my 08 Isf to the dealership since I just purchased a an extended lexus platinum warranty. I know I will be paying a premium but don't want to hear any resistance in case I have a warranty claim. The exra bucks spent may be worth it. I know many may disagree but as long as its under lexus warranty it may behoove me.. What's a few extra bucks spent on peace of mind?
Old 05-30-12, 04:39 PM
LBmtb
Driver

Where in CA are you? My friend (he has a GTR) just had an oil change party at my house.

Just go with Mobil 1. 10 quarts is ~$50 at Walmart.
Old 05-30-12, 05:44 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 for Mobile 1 from Walmart

I had a friend that used Greddy oil for a while but it was expensive and now you can't find it. He threw a rod at the track regardless of his fancy JDM oil changes.

Facy JDM oil changes are not worth the money
Old 05-30-12, 08:28 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the 0W-30 Mobil 1 full syn oil...maybe i should change over to the high mileage / extended performance stuff since my car has over 80k now.
Old 05-30-12, 08:30 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I use Pennzoil Ultra 10W/30. It's hot in Arizona in the summer and never gets down to freezing in the winter.

Lou
Old 05-30-12, 08:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I use the 0W-30 Mobil 1 full syn oil...maybe i should change over to the high mileage / extended performance stuff since my car has over 80k now.
No. The extended mileage stuff just has more additive package in it so it doesn't go acidic as soon, but there's no reason to change from regular Mobil 1 ever. It's a gimmick, not real performance. Save your money for UOA from Blackstone or some other competent oil analysis company.

And FWIW, there really isn't much difference between oils except marketing costs until you start looking at base stocks. I run Mobil 1 in the F and the wife's tC because it's cheap, available everywhere, and easily goes 10k - 12k miles between changes without losing its important attributes. So does Wal-Mart Super Tech synthetic...I have yet to see an oil changed at proper intervals cause problems.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-30-12 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-31-12, 06:17 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. The extended mileage stuff just has more additive package in it so it doesn't go acidic as soon, but there's no reason to change from regular Mobil 1 ever. It's a gimmick, not real performance. Save your money for UOA from Blackstone or some other competent oil analysis company.

And FWIW, there really isn't much difference between oils except marketing costs until you start looking at base stocks. I run Mobil 1 in the F and the wife's tC because it's cheap, available everywhere, and easily goes 10k - 12k miles between changes without losing its important attributes. So does Wal-Mart Super Tech synthetic...I have yet to see an oil changed at proper intervals cause problems.
I'm going to agree with Lance on this one just stick with a quality oil and no need for the "funny stuff" "Extended performance this", super high performance that... its all marketing ploys to get extra money from you. I will respectfully disagree with Lance on the mileage intervals, mileage intervals have a LOT to do with they type of driving one does. If you drive a lot of short trips and the car never gets up to temp, or lots of city driving these extended intervals are horrible on a motor, and will result in slugging issues, and excessive wear.
Attached are pictures of the inside of a 2007 BMW 328xi with 61,000 miles that our shop just did that had the oil changed as per the manufacturer recommendations which on a BMW are a minimum of 16k and can go up to as far as 25k miles between changes. the oil was changed with Castrol Synthetic as per requirements. It took approximately 16 man hours (and the raplacement of both Vanos solenoids (BMW's fancy wording for their V-tec solenoids) ) to remove all of this sludge and flush the motor of this sludge. We have now done 4 of these BMW due to their "extended intervals" on oil changes. Mercedes Benz have also been having similar issues with their vehicles as we have two of them under our belts (Mecr's require Mobil 1 oil FYI)
Eneos Synthetic Oil-100_3763.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Eneos Synthetic Oil-100_3769.jpg   Eneos Synthetic Oil-100_3774.jpg  

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-31-12 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-31-12, 07:11 AM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^^^^^ That is pretty ugly. What are you doing to clean these engines?
By the looks of it your doing the work it in the car and not disassembling and hot tanking the parts.
Old 05-31-12, 07:27 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Wow, those images are ugly. That is just total neglect of the owner. I bet they go 25K and beyond with hard driving. I mean, there is some value in just pulling out the dipstick every once in a while and checking the color of the oil, etc. The motor temp should've been getting hot too.
Old 05-31-12, 08:58 AM
supafreeza
Pole Position

that looks pretty bad. clean up looks great.
Old 05-31-12, 09:29 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see what's wrong with those photos....???? jk

I was still going to stick with Mobil 1, it's just the Mobil 1 full syn extended performance is like 2-3 dollars more...not worth it? I change my oil every 5000 miles. Too often? It's pretty dirty when it comes out...that's what she said.

Quick Reply: Eneos Synthetic Oil