IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Michelin Super Sports installed today

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 01:49 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Melbitoast, how much PSI are you running on your Michelin's? I ask because the amout of PSI drastically affects the cars handling. Try to increase the PSI and see how they do...Darshana S...
Not sure to be honest. I'll have to check on that. Thanks for the reminder. I should know that consider how much Forza 4 I've been playing lately!!
Old 05-18-12, 01:51 PM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Install of the rear swaybar is a piece of cake. IF you have the hand tools, do it yourself. If you don't have the tools (combination wrenches and socket set) then spend the $105 on a set from Craftsmen and do it yourself. You will then have the tools forever for other projects.

AA
I've got a huge toolset, so I'll check on the instructions prior to having it installed by someone else. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-18-12, 02:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

^^^^Take a walk through this thread. I know it's pretty big, but if you only look at the pics, you'll get the idea. It really is not a tough job.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ar-thread.html

Lou
Old 05-19-12, 11:50 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by melbitoast
Personally, I don't like 'em. I've had mine since last August.

At first they seemed great. Quiet. Softer than the OEM tires. I gave them some time before I began "testing" them, and I must I'm dissappointed in them. The hype may have been too much and the praise too high. Not nearly as much cornering grip as I anticipated after reading all the reviews.

Although considerably more expensive, I would consider going back to the OEM tires before buying another set of PSSs.
Could you be more specific about what you perceive to be a degradation in cornering grip? I ask the question because your experience runs counter to many others. The most comprehensive testing of passenger car tires in conducted by The Tire Rack. Here is a rating of max performance tires and the Michelin PSS has been rated #1 almost since the day it was released. Even the long-in-the-tooth PS2 is still rated #4 overall.... Take a look here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP.

In addition, Michelin and Lexus conducted a comparo of various tires, including the PSS and using the IS-F as a test vehicle. After 20 hard laps around the track, the PSS was the only tire that was not chunking and had the fastest lap times, the best braking and handily won the other performance/handling tests. It's less expensive than the PS2 it replaces and has a significantly higher wear rating (300 to 220). Maybe you got a bad set, but I would sure like to hear more about your specific dislikes and this tire. TIA,
Old 05-21-12, 02:29 AM
gpomp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
Could you be more specific about what you perceive to be a degradation in cornering grip? I ask the question because your experience runs counter to many others. The most comprehensive testing of passenger car tires in conducted by The Tire Rack. Here is a rating of max performance tires and the Michelin PSS has been rated #1 almost since the day it was released. Even the long-in-the-tooth PS2 is still rated #4 overall.... Take a look here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP.

In addition, Michelin and Lexus conducted a comparo of various tires, including the PSS and using the IS-F as a test vehicle. After 20 hard laps around the track, the PSS was the only tire that was not chunking and had the fastest lap times, the best braking and handily won the other performance/handling tests. It's less expensive than the PS2 it replaces and has a significantly higher wear rating (300 to 220). Maybe you got a bad set, but I would sure like to hear more about your specific dislikes and this tire. TIA,
The link you provided is based on consumer survey results. Here's the link to the actual test done by Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

I have the PSS's on my car right now. I thought the stock PS2's were pretty good but the PSS's are on another level.
Old 05-21-12, 06:01 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by KJH

I'm talking about everyday, run-of-the-mill usage with bits of spirited cornering. I'm not tracking the car, nor have I ever taken it to a track where I can test the tires at higher speeds. So everything you're talking about above has nothing to do with my experience.

Where I'm disappointed in these tires is from very basic manuveurs, such as turning a corner on a side street. The light that turns into my neighborhood has a nice, wide street that allows for faster turns than normal. It never fails that if I even get up to 3000 rpm turning that corner from a red light, my back end breaks loose. I didn't have that trouble even with my 1/2 worn Bridgestones. Based on all the reviews prior to purchase, I had much higher expectations.

I think the only true way to compare would be to drive two Fs with different tires. Fortunately, one of my best friends is buying his first F today or tomorrow (used '08), so I'll borrow his and test the same corners. Perhaps then my opinions will change.
Old 05-21-12, 06:02 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^Take a walk through this thread. I know it's pretty big, but if you only look at the pics, you'll get the idea. It really is not a tough job.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ar-thread.html

Lou
Awesome, Lou! Thanks!
Old 05-21-12, 09:06 AM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gpomp
The link you provided is based on consumer survey results. Here's the link to the actual test done by Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=148

I have the PSS's on my car right now. I thought the stock PS2's were pretty good but the PSS's are on another level.
This is true, but I posted the consumer survey results because they are based, so far, on almost 750,000 miles of driving in all conditions (and more than 11-million miles for the PS2s). Given the priciness of Michelin tires, and the miles driven, I think these results are at least as reliable as the results from the test conducted by Tire Rack. The fact the consumer survey mirrors the tests conducted by tire professionals is noteworthy.

Originally Posted by melbitoast
I'm talking about everyday, run-of-the-mill usage with bits of spirited cornering. I'm not tracking the car, nor have I ever taken it to a track where I can test the tires at higher speeds. So everything you're talking about above has nothing to do with my experience.

Where I'm disappointed in these tires is from very basic manuveurs, such as turning a corner on a side street. The light that turns into my neighborhood has a nice, wide street that allows for faster turns than normal. It never fails that if I even get up to 3000 rpm turning that corner from a red light, my back end breaks loose. I didn't have that trouble even with my 1/2 worn Bridgestones. Based on all the reviews prior to purchase, I had much higher expectations.

I think the only true way to compare would be to drive two Fs with different tires. Fortunately, one of my best friends is buying his first F today or tomorrow (used '08), so I'll borrow his and test the same corners. Perhaps then my opinions will change.
The consumer survey I cited is the very essence of "everyday, run-of-the-mill usage..." you cited in your response above. I wish you the best of luck in getting your issues sorted, because I know I would be deeply disappointed if the tires did not meet my expectations.
Old 05-21-12, 09:42 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Install of the rear swaybar is a piece of cake. IF you have the hand tools, do it yourself. If you don't have the tools (combination wrenches and socket set) then spend the $105 on a set from Craftsmen and do it yourself. You will then have the tools forever for other projects.

AA
If you have every run your car in the winter on a salted road (might not be an issue for TX or CA), the threads on the bolts that hold the sway bar in will be totally covered in surface rust and a pain to get off with hand tools. I do tons of work on my cars myself and I just took it to Lexus.

The Tech told me he had a pain in the butt getting the old one off because of the rust on the bolt threads.
Old 07-07-12, 06:25 PM
ISCrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear all the comments on the PSS's. I'm going to put a set on as soon as I get my new Dyna's!
Old 07-07-12, 09:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

I'm quite happy with my Bridgestone S-04 PPs. But, I would have chosen the Michelin PSS IF they came in size 285/30/19. Sadly they do not, and I did want to keep the height of the tire, with stock wheels, as close to stock as I could. I know a lot of you guys are happy with the 275/30/19, but they were just a wee bit to short for me, .4" less in OD. The 285/30/19 is .2" less in OD than stock.

IMHO, the ISF is under tired. A car that handles as well and has as much power as the F, needs wider tires (front and rear) to tame the beast. I have an F-Sport rear bar, and am extremely happy with the overall handling of my F.

The wider than stock Continental DWs were better than the stock Michelin PS2s, and the S-04s are a big improvement over the DWs.

The current reviews and surveys have the PSS rated first with the S-04 rated second. The rest of the bunch seem to be also rans. There was an excellent review this month in Car & Driver. The S-04 did quite well against the PSS in all tests except the Dry Autocross test. So, for now at least, it seems that the PSS is the benchmark

My wife's ES is shod with Michelins, and my truck came with Generals, but I sold the stock wheels and tires and put on 18" alloys with Michelins. My F was originally on the dealers lot with chrome stock wheels and Bridgestone RE050As, I made the dealer put on non chromed wheels with Michelin PS2s. So yep, I've had good luck and like Michelin. it's just that size thing

Just my thoughts

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 07-08-12 at 07:23 AM.