IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Used IS-F worth it ??? Story inside !

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 09:07 PM
2dank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyHook
Not new to this forum but didn't think it was kosher to post without an ISF... but picked one up on Monday.
So I should have all of your blessings....

I bought a 2011 ISF in Las Vegas on Monday for $52K- 10,800 miles.
My brother bought an 2009 with 8,000 miles for $43.3 in California

So is $47K a stellar deal... not really. But I noticed you put down Guam... as in the Guam floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? All bets are off when that ISF might be the 1 out of 3 for sale on the entire island....I think they might have you by the nuts...

Good luck with your search!
I think the differences between 09's and 11's will make up more than the 10,000 in long term imho, but last year, almost pulled a trigger on 10' c63 with 10,000miles for 50,000.

Last edited by 2dank; 05-03-12 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 10:52 PM
t4orce
Rookie

Isn't this a case of willing buyer and willing seller. The price is essentially a matching of what one is prepared to pay and what one is prepared to sell. That's part of the negotiation process.

Dealers will always mark up but the price. However, a good dealer should give you excellent customer service immediately after the sale especially being a certified vehicle. I paid slightly higher than market value for my F but I had the peace of mind that if anything was wrong, the dealer would look after me. Immediately after delivery I complained of brake squeal and they immediately investigated, brought a loan car to me, personally delivered things from my car to me because it was an overnight job and replaced worn brake pads for free.

Just my 0.02c but examples of "scams" are where someone tells you something that is working knowing when it isn't or has intentionally misled you causing you detriment.
Old 05-04-12, 06:27 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As it is the ISF is rare in the states...gonna be hard to negotiate in Guam...
Old 05-04-12, 08:44 AM
Valkirk
Driver

As others have said not really a scam, but looks like the haggling could have gone further. They started at $48k and then dropped to $46k, if you had crept up your offer might have been able to settle on something in the middle like $43-44k?
Old 05-04-12, 08:48 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you should scout another at the 39000 and cut the dealer out
Old 05-04-12, 08:58 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not worth it..I would say at most offer $43k at most otherwise let them kiss you lower back
Old 05-04-12, 09:04 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SexyLexus
Maybe i shouldnt say the "dealer" is a scam, but more so they are trying to scam "me" from buying the car at a resonable price. I am more than willing to pay $2,000 maybe $3,000 more than what they bought the car for, knowing that if i have any issues with the car, I can easily say I bought the car "from a dealer" and should get some kind of a warranty aside from the extended warranty that im going to initially buy.

As far as buying the car from the private seller, the dealer had beat me to to, as the my loan was being processed over the phone, the private seller had contacted me saying the car was sold. So would it fair to pay $7,000 just cause they beat me to the punch ? I wouldnt think so... But just like everyone says, dealers are there to make money, so they could make their money off of someone else if they wont want to make atleast $2,000 from a "smart buyer". I dont mind spending $16,000 more to get a New One. I guess this thread was just put out there to explain my personal experience. Im calling about the New One as I type this reply.

Thanks again everyone for your opinions and replies !

You are too hung up on what is "fair". this is business, anything goes.
Old 05-04-12, 01:44 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soupdawg
the car is worth whatever market value is. just because they may have gotten a super sweet deal doesnt mean they have to pass it on to you
My thoughts exactly. What if they had purchased it from someone who basically gave it away for $25,000? Would you expect them to sell it to you for just a few thousand over that, and if they refused would you call them scammers? I certainly hope not. As others have mentioned dealerships are in business to make money. It's not a scam, it's called "business". They aren't a charity organization that is there to get you the car you want at the lowest possible price, they are a business which is there to make as much money as possible and therefore they are going to sell the car for what they think they can get for it no matter what they paid for it.
Old 05-04-12, 04:33 PM
TheBatman
Driver

Used cars are major crackers for dealers b/c they markup the vehicles into the stratosphere. If you really want this car, you need to go there and negotiate it down. As a general rule, a dealer who negotiates over the phone never gets any sales. So they are going to keep the price high over the phone.

Best advice is to go down there armed with as much info as possible. Blue book (although they use Galves) value, market price, etc. You can make an argument to lower the price for just about anything if you are a good BS artist. But you can't fault them for playing the game. What I can say for sure is that you're best bet at getting the car for the lowest possible price is to go down there and spend 6 hours negotiating and be willing to walk if need be. The phone game is going to get you nowhere unless you want to pay the marked up price.
Old 05-04-12, 04:41 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by codylaoISF
I am Down to sell my 2011 USB ISF with 15k miles on it for 49k . I need some cash for a GTR LOL . if ya want more Info . text me at 5037099018 ( Cody)
Really good price for an 11...i just sold my 11 to the dealer for $52k with 14k miles (I did not even purchase a car from them..They just bought mine straight out)
Old 05-08-12, 04:58 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To OP: You need to realize that just because you think you know everything doesn't mean you truly know....learn this lesson and you will be a much happier person.

If I was you - just walk away and don't go back - but since you are obviously still considering the car - then the dealer has done their job. As others have said just because they got a deal does not mean they need to pass the savings on to you. Who knows, maybe they took it in trade and lost a ton on the front end so now they need to recoup it. Or it's from another sale.

Dealerships are in the business to make money and don't get me wrong, I love a good deal just like you but if the dealer won't deal, walk away. If you can't then you already proved them right.

For example Portland Lexus won't deal because in their region they are the ONLY dealer for the most part. Socal dealers will drop their pants under invoice while they sell for MSRP in some cases. They are still in business because they are smart.
Old 05-08-12, 05:24 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn didnt think this thread will draw so much attention. ???

Anyways, I went down to the dealer to put a down payment on the 2012 MM ISF coming in and while i was there I went ahead and checked out the Used 2009 OB ISF. The 09 was acutally a Base Model ISF so it didnt have all the bells and whistles that I was looking for, like the NAV/Touch screen, Back up camera, it didnt even have any parking/back-up sensors. Anyway my car is set to land on Guam next month, ill post up pics then. Thanks again CL !
Old 05-08-12, 07:43 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Congrats! New is always better if you can afford it.