IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Metallic click sound coming from left rear axle area

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 02:50 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Metallic click sound coming from left rear axle area

Okay guys this has going on for a few months now off and on. Whenever drive my F hard I notice this metallic click when i go to shift hard into second. The metallic click seems to be coming from the front of the car. I also get it if I'm around 3600rpm in and stomp on the pedal in first or second. It also happens when I shift into reverse. Any Ideas on what it could be??

It also happens when i floor it and let off and do not change gears mainly in first and second. Sometimes i get a double click also.

At first I thought something could have gotten trapped in the engine bay and it only accelerated to a high enough speed to cause an audible noise but seeing as it been 3 or 4 months I don't think its the problem. It does not seem to effect spend and it does not make the click all the time.

Last edited by caymandive; 05-11-12 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 02:59 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

I would also be confident saying it does not happen the first few times i floor it or get on it. It happens when the car is really warmed up I goes... i don't know how to word it but i think you all know what i mean. Like if i floor it with normal engine temp and 2 bars oil temp no click. The warmer the car gets the more often it does it.

Am I the only one that has this. The sound could be coming from the middle of the car also.
Old 05-02-12, 05:29 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

PM'd ya. Let me know if that helps.
Old 05-02-12, 05:46 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

I just wanted to make you sure you saw it because I know you have extensive knowledge on the Fs. Thanks so much for the quick response.
Old 05-03-12, 06:03 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure its coming from the front? Go into a open parking lot, bring all your windows down, and listen, im positive its coming from the back. It may be your axles that have shifted. You said you drive your car hard, my next question is are you running and wider tires in the rear? I had this same exact problem, and its going on its second time, and its probable going to get new axles next time due to this. Its the torque the car makes compared to the thickness of the rear tires. Im almost positive if you take it to the dealer, they will heck it for hra just to come to the conclusion the axlea have shifted. There have been a few board memebers contact me because i have been doing a build on my f and somewhere in there i said something about this problem. If still under factory warranty, you shouldnt get charged. Hope this helps you nd good luck

Edit: you are running 285 in the rear. Im almost sure its your axles
Old 05-03-12, 06:57 AM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked your exhaust clearances, especially the rear pass over the support rod. This one seems to tap my exhaust occasionally, as the exhaust moves upon acceleration or load with the engine?

I have had to bend this bar down slightly to gain a small increment of clearance.
Old 05-03-12, 07:54 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

I know its not the exhaust because it was happening before I put it on. Also It is not the wider tires because i put those on like 3 weeks ago and its been a few months of this coming and going. Since i stopped pressing the gas due to cold temps in VA the issue was not there. Now that is its starting to warm up and i have hit the gas a few times it is happening again. I will take it to the dealership and see what they say.
Old 05-03-12, 08:33 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Yup I have it to. I believe its the exhaust hitting something. (I have OEM exhaust)
Old 05-03-12, 09:19 AM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Even before when i was on stock tires sizes i had this issue. When i went with wider tires it happened again. So im sure its gonna come back if i keep punching it
Old 05-03-12, 11:12 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

I know mine is not due to my exhaust system hitting something because i had the OEM exhaust and it made the noise and now i have a JOE Z and its still happening and there is plenty of room clearing. Its NOT the exhaust. I would agree it has something to do with the axles, it fits the situation it occurs in. I am taking it in on saturday morning.
Old 05-05-12, 01:53 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Okay guys so I took my car into lexus today to try and get this issue resolved. I started out by taking their lead mechanic for a ride. He said he heard the clicking and it sounded like the brakes. He promptly told me to stop hitting the brakes. I told him the funny thing is that i have not hit the brakes, all i was doing was lifting my foot off the pedal. This left him pretty stumped. So he is calling lexus tech info in california on monday to see what they have to say before they will start going to work at trying to fix the problem. He also said he doubted anything was wrong with the axle. He told me the bolts that hold the axle in place are torqued down to over 250 ft pds. I will keep you all updated when i get a call on monday.
Old 05-05-12, 02:16 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Unless its the traction control keeping you from spinning by engaging the brakes.
Old 05-05-12, 03:06 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Unless its the traction control keeping you from spinning by engaging the brakes.
You know that was not a bad idea at all expect for the fact that it happens when I shift into reverse and barley even touch the throttle. The sound is also for sure coming from the front and more audible on the drivers side.
Old 05-05-12, 03:13 PM
F4Fast
Pole Position

Tell him to double check them. Something has shifted, i can guarantee it. The cars suspension is awesome, but the torque and weight combined will cause stuff to shift. I am still aiming to the axles. 250 sounds like alot, but if it happened to me, it could happen to anyone.
Old 05-05-12, 05:12 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Alright guys so what I just did was get my dad to come out side and listen to the car as I made the noise happen. He immediately told me it was coming from the rear brake on the left side. I did not believe him because it sounded so like it was coming from the front of the car. Even the lexus tech thought it was coming from the front. So i told him to get in the drivers seat and give it a go. I am happy to say it is coming from the back section. The only thing now is to figure out if it is the break or the exhaust hitting somewhere. It happened while i had the OME exhaust on and now a JOE Z, what are the chances that its the exhaust hitting on something. The thing that gets me is it happens in reverse and when I stomp on the pedal and let off. Thats why i wonder why it would be the rear brake cause why would the break be engaged when i don't even get close to spinning tires. So I am caught between two things. What do you all think.

Quick Reply: Metallic click sound coming from left rear axle area